Games running fullscreen on a laptop. How?

A friend of mine is trying to run some games on his laptop, but they start windowed on a black background. Is there a way to run games fullscren on a laptop? And that's Intel Celeron 2800 MHz (not sure, but close), 256 RAM, 64 Mb videocard (guess an Intel), Win XP Home

real obvious question: when he launches a game has he checked the games settings to see if they are set to run full screen or windowed?
    Aint that some ...

my guess is that the game is running full screen but the resolution is lower than that of windows itself.

I have installed a couple of laptops before and during the installation the setup screen was just positioned in the middle of the screen (but not full screen). I didn't get fullscreen until I set windows to the max resolution the laptop monitor could handle.

So the question is, what resolution does he run windows at and what resoltuion does he run the games at? What happened when he runs the games in the same resolution as windows?
    A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
    --Erin Majors

Thanks guys for the replies. The games are set to fullscreen, Win is at 1024*768 and the games, some at the same resolution, some at 800*600.

Older games are running the same way (Starcraft)

LCD screens can only run at their native resolution. So if your screen is 1024x786 but the game is running at 800x600 the screen will either crop the image to 800x600 or it will go fullscreen interpolate up and be blurry, im not sure if there is a way to tell the screen which to do. The best idea would be to run the game at the same rez as the screen.

thanks for answering, I'll tell my friend to try that

it depends on the video card of the laptop. in my old acer travelmate laptop, i can set it to resize or not when in resolutions out of the screen's range. just look it up at the bios/cmos settings or refer to the manual. otherwise, you'll have to stick to it.

thanks for helping. He now runs the games at the same resolution as the windows screen and it works