character compile errors

the epic quest to create a character for half-life 2 continues....

anyways, i got through some tutorials, posts, etc on how to compile models, one such was http://www.morales.dk/hl2/. exported the smd's, both animation and reference, and created a qc file by copying one of the examples in the sdk folder and just overwriting the stuff in it. it contains:
    //output .mdl file for shiang test

//where the compiled model will go
    $modelname "H:\program files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Steppe\mode ls\shiangtest1/shiangtest1.mdl"

//where the source texture is coming from
    $cdmaterials "H:\program files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Steppe_sour ce\materialsrc\models\shiang\cubeTex_512x512.tga"

//bounding box
    $bbox 0 0 0 70 70 70

//eyes
    $eyeposition 0.532 12.1 1.265

//surface type
    $surfaceprop "flesh"

//model reference file smd
    $model ShiangTest "H:\program files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Steppe_sour ce\modelsrc\models\shiang\ShiangReference.smd"

//animation sequences
    $sequence attack_inside_slash1 "H:\program files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Steppe_sour ce\modelsrc\models\shiang\AttackInsideSlash.smd"
    //loop fps 25 activity attack_inside_slash1
    $sequence attack_outside_slahsh1 "H:\program files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Steppe_sour ce\modelsrc\models\shiang\AttackOutsideSlash.smd" //loop fps 25 activity attack_outside_slahsh1
    $sequence parry_inside_medium1 "H:\program files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Steppe_sour ce\modelsrc\models\shiang\ParryInsideMed.smd" //loop fps 25 activity parry_inside_medium1
    $sequence attack_thrust_straight1 "H:\program files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Steppe_sour ce\modelsrc\models\shiang\ThrustAttack01.smd" //loop fps 25 activity attack_thrust_straight1
    $sequence pary_outside_medium1 "H:\program files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Steppe_sour ce\modelsrc\models\shiang\ParryOutsideMed.smd" //loop fps 25 activity pary_outside_medium1
    $sequence parry_inside_high1 "H:\program files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Steppe_sour ce\modelsrc\models\shiang\ParryInsideHigh.smd" //loop fps 25 activity parry_inside_high1

the paths are in there in entirety so the compiler won't bitch that it can't find things. my way of being paranoid. the "//loop fps whatevers" were commented out because the compiler gave me errors that the line wasn't complete. i figure i'm missing some arguments, but that's not the current problem. yet.

anyways, i drop the qc file on the studiomdl.bat file which i've edited to hang for 30 seconds so i can see the results, and i get a *****COMPILE COMPLETED***** but then under that, i get "'COMPILE********' is not recognized as a valid internal or external command, operable program or batch file. " which sounds like it's an environment variable problem, which i thought i had fixed all of. and when i look in the folder, there's no mdl file at all.

i have my mod, both the sourcemods and the mod directory itself, added to the "Path" environment variable. i also have visual studio added as well. i've been using maya to make and export my models, and i'm about ready to shoot myself.

can anyone *please* help me?

have you perused http://www.modmap.ch ?
    Aint that some ...

yes i did. it didn't help much. they really only have 3 tutorials, and didn't really go into enough detail for me. i'm a *very* artist-minded person, and when it comes to anything that involves compiling, i need a babysitter and a gui. give me a character sheet, and i'll give you a model, but give me text compile and i'll give you a burning pile of poop on your doorstep. so any small words?

ps. i've been using maya and max for several years now, so i mostly know my way around those. i've also used unrealed a bit, so i know the basics of that program. hl2 is totally new to me though.

nobody's trying to make characters? or is everyone just smart enough to use xsi?