Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

advice needed from vegetarians

So how do I cook tofu so it doesn't end up tasting and feeling like warm Jell-o? I'm not veggie, but I'm trying to broaden my food choices. I enjoy tofu at resturants but I can't seem to get it right at home. The taste factor isn't really the problem (since tofu is essentially a flavor sponge). Texture is what I'm looking for. No matter what I do to tofu, I don't get the satisfying tooth feel I get when I bite into a steak, burger or turkey breast. Any ideas?
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

Marinate it for a day in some thing strong.

I once had some in a chinese retaurant, that had beed marinated in chilli sauce.
    It wasnt that bad.

I do have to say tho, as a vegi for 12 years, its the most disgusting thing ive ever eaten. Occasionally ill try a bit to see if my taste buds have changed. They never do!.

Basicly they take ALL the taste out of soya beans, and make soy sauce with it, and your left with white - I can only describe as - stuff.

If your after the satisfying feel of steak, burger or turkey breast, try a steak, burger or turkey breast!

If its texture your after, try TVP, (Textured Vegetable Protien) youll find it in health food shops, tho its the same deal, tastes like soggy cardboard unless you flavour it right!

Personaly I realy dont like ANY of these fake meat products, Id rather eat meat again than most of them! (Apart from that quorn stuff, now thats good eating!)
    Neil

Your spell-checker is not as effective as think.

not a big fan of tofu, it just tastes of...nothing its a bit disturbing when you put something in your mouth and chew it, but it has no taste
    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - Richard Dean Anderson

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Updated 31/01/05 - 3DBuzz VTM Introduction videos uploaded!)

Not a veggie but like eating a wide variety of foods.
    The only way i know if making it have a better texture its to deep fry it.
    It gives it a bit of a tougher outer coating. IT kind of ironic seeing as you would usally eat tofu because its health but i think deep frying it is your only option.

Cfser
    Veni, vidi , Edidi

hehe yeah I agree.... fry it up! But you know, another way that I use it is making smoothies.... blend up some yogurt, frozen mixed berries, tofu, and maybe some soy milk or whatever else you want to add in. So drinking tofu isn't too bad.... as long as you throw in enough other ingredients to give it flavor hehe.... try this one: http://beverage.allrecipes.com/az/Th...thiYllvrMk.asp

yum....

Here's how I did it today (the results were ok)

- block of mid-firm tofu ( I wanted extra firm but it wasn't available)
    - cut it into 4 equal pieces
    - placed it on paper towels and sandwiched between two sheet pans with some weight on top
    - wait 30 minutes (after most of the excess water was removed)
    - added tofu to a contatiner with marinade (hoisin sauce, balsamtic vineger and 3 cloves of minced garlic).
    - refrigerate over night
    - coated the "steaks" with bread crumbs
    - baked on a sheet pan @ 400 degrees for 25 minutes

The result was alright, but not great. I think next time I'll make sure I use extra firm and bake it for a little longer.

edit - mabuffaloe that smoothie recipe looks tasty. I think I'll give it a try.
    Last edited by Paul Holm; 01-23-2005 at 04:45 PM.
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

Just put some meat in it... it tastes better that way

Paul, you got no wife to do your cooking?? or do you just like to be independent and do your own biding? just curious

Originally posted by Paul Holm
    Here's how I did it today (the results were ok)

- block of mid-firm tofu ( I wanted extra firm but it wasn't available)
    - cut it into 4 equal pieces
    - placed it on paper towels and sandwiched between two sheet pans with some weight on top
    - wait 30 minutes (after most of the excess water was removed)
    - added tofu to a contatiner with marinade (hoisin sauce, balsamtic vineger and 3 cloves of minced garlic).
    - refrigerate over night
    - coated the "steaks" with bread crumbs
    - baked on a sheet pan @ 400 degrees for 25 minutes

The result was alright, but not great. I think next time I'll make sure I use extra firm and bake it for a little longer.

edit - mabuffaloe that smoothie recipe looks tasty. I think I'll give it a try.
    Maybe try cutting it up into thinner slices and stack them. That way, more of the surface has the marinade on it and the bread crumbs, and all the other flavor. *shrugs* I don't really do tofu, so it's just a guess. Also, check out tempe. I don't know what it is, but my sister (a vegan) eats it! Or maybe a portabella mushroom "steak." I hear those are pretty good. They're not tofu, but hey, it's different stuff.

i personally cannot stand tofu.... its one of the worst things i have ever tasted. However if you cook it in some left over liquidy beef fat/grease its alright with a slice of cheese and in a toasted bun. I actualy liked that. Nothing comepared to a real burger. You cant beat the real thing.

If your gonna try it, actually season it a little with something like oregino. I crave me a cheese burger now. With real beef rool:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast