Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Legallity of MP3 Mixes on The Internet...

Just a quick question, If i were to create a remix or mix of mp3 tracks (from cd's I own) can i then post a link to that remix for people to download and listen to it? I doubt it but just checking...

i have a very big feeling tha tthis is illegal. but i am not too sure.

i dont think that's illegal, just as long as you dont profit from it, but then again, all the bands i listen to, dont mind when fans do that, so im not 100% certain...

not sure but i think as long as you donot claim the original as your own its okay

label it something like David Bowie - Golden Years(phOny remix).mp3
    Aint that some ...

yes it is illlegal. you are using copyrighted material you don't own the rights to. its the same as sharing the whole song. just think of vanilla ice, he did make money off of his stuff, but even if you don't make money off of it, it is still illegal.

Originally posted by woodicw
    yes it is illlegal. you are using copyrighted material you don't own the rights to. its the same as sharing the whole song. just think of vanilla ice, he did make money off of his stuff, but even if you don't make money off of it, it is still illegal.
    ahhh but vanilla ice tried to claim it was his own original work

if it was illegal dj's everywhere would be criminals i haven't heard of a case yet of a dj being arrested or sued for remixing a song
    Aint that some ...

but dj's are not posting it on the web for everyone else to download and keep. there's really no difference in posting a mix or the whole song. vanilla ice tried to pass it off as something similiar, he added an extra "ding" or removed a "ding" or something like that.

umm you haven't surfed the shoutcast/internet radio channels then have you?
    Aint that some ...

Thanks guys, Ill have to look a little further into it i guess... cheers.

Somewhere in the State of Misery A.K.A. Missouri
    yes... it is illegal... a lot of people don't think so if you can remix it enough that it doesn't sound remixed... but it is... I think some folks do get away with it by only taking chords out of the originals... and then playing with them a lot with reverbs and stuff, thus making them almost like doing chords on your own with a midi keyboard...

you can get some weird stuff on your own without the need to resorting to illegal dubbing... just go grab a mic and start recording your own voice.. if it's strange and unusual sounds you seek, grab an am/fm radio... hook it up to a line in on your sound card... tune to am and start turning the dial on places in the am dial where you can here bizzare sounds but no real stations... uh, white noise if you will...
    My art blog: http://www.jeffthomannsart.blogspot.com

My Entropia Universe Item Selling Blog: http://www.mariasgoods.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast