Exclamation Shopping Cart Credit Card billing

Ok..here's the picture. I need to build a website based on a shopping cart.
    There's no problem with that, I can do it all. But when it comes to checking out the customer and getting the credit card information and everything, that I don't really know how to do. Is anyone into this and can explain how to do the credit card billing ? Actually how to take the money from the credit card that is. I am not really sure but I think a 3rd party has to be used, like a company like Paypal to do the money transfer from the customer's credit card to the bank account of the owner.

Also... I saw that most of the shopping carts have HTTPS protocol when they do the customer's information gathering. How does that work ?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Do you want to know things ? Take a close look. Do you want to like them ? Look at them from far away.

as far as credit card billing goes, im fairly certain that you'd have to have some third party company do it, in order to do something like that on your own, you'd probably have to be certified in some way (im almost sure of it) and there would have to be something else, i dont know though, mabey there is a way, try searching for "php credit card handling" on google.
    as for https there is an apache module for that i believe, i havent ever used it but i've read a bit about it in a php book that i have, im sure there are plenty of tutorials on using it around the net

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

i beleive the most widely used third party people is verisign. I think thats the name. check them out.

i had a look around some php sites about this, and i found a tutorial on CURL, which suposedly (from what i understood) lets you create a transparent interface between your 3rd party credit card 'handler' and your site.
    check it out, it might be useful: http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/49/0.php

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

Thanks, WraithGuard that was a very interesting article about CURL, never thought this was possible, to access a library that makes things easy between the scripts and the gateway.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to make communications between the customer, the scripts and the gateway secure using SSL please consider sharing some info, as I'm sure this would be useful to many out there. Thanks again.
    Do you want to know things ? Take a close look. Do you want to like them ? Look at them from far away.

SSL, or secure socket layer, works on your host's end. Usually it goes something like this:

You request a secure certificate. They send you a form which you fill out. They will then generate a CSR (certificate signing request) for you and send it to you. You take that to a place like verisign and pay to have a certificate generated. It will be keyed to your website address. You will then return that to your host, and they will install it.

Now, that's how we did it at the host I worked for. That method could change on Apache servers (We were windows hosting). In the end, what it allows you to do is on your "checkout" button, you redirect the URL to https://cart.mysite.com. Everything sent from the user's browser to your server is then encrypted.

In the same way, whatever you use for your 3rd party credit card validator should supply you with a https link, or some other secure link. The verisign module is very simple, from what I hear, as you just send the information in variable form to their server and they take care of everything else.

Have a question about Maya or Web Dev? I'll try my best to give you a hand. PM for my email, or reach me on Skype or AIM as Johnska7.

Did this post help you at all? Please feel free add to my reputation . Positive Feedback makes me happy!

Tutorial Writer | Adjunct Professor of Advanced 3d Modeling and Animation