getting button to work

now i am new to flash and trying to make my first flash web site. i made a button (works but does nothing) i am trying to use the button tutorial on flashkit but it is for an older vers. and i cant seem to follow it with the vers. i have. i will post what my script later but for now, any suggestions?

any suggestions?
    Yes, reread your post and realise that there is no way that anyone can make a good suggestion based on what you have posted. If you're asking why your button does nothing then without the script how the heck can anyone know why.

well ther is a way you could make suggestions. say things that commonly go wrong, tell how things were ported from older vers to the newer vers as far as button making goes, just think and be imagnative.

umm, well, are you trying to make a link of that button, or what is it that you're trying to do

to make a link in flash mx/(2k4) you can just use the code:
    [code]
    on(event) {
    getURL("url", "target frame(optional)");
    }

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

Why don't you "think" and give us the information we need instead of making us guess.

Do as you said and give us the script. Also, since you say there is a version problem, what version are you using, what version is the tutorial, which tutorial you're refering to.

Do you really want help to figure out what to do or do you just want to make this some kind of silly guessing game?

i dont wana get in an argument so i am just going to stop. but let me refrease my question to make it easyer to understand for wraithguard. i want to make a button that jumps to another slide. like i have a button on slide 1 and when it is clicked the movie jumps to slide 5 for example. could you plz post some script for that or link me to some newer tutorials. (the button tutorial i was looking at was at flashkit and it was from 2000)

For example:

on(release){
    gotoAndStop(5);
    }

... where 5 is the frame.
    -------------------------------

Rock on dude

creating buttons

To create a button i have noticed is a large problem for newbies

it is very simple to do just a simple code to the button after you have created it that flash can create for you! you just need to put in the link or the scene and frame nr for it. remember to put a stop button for the frame that your button is in thats something alot of people forgett.
    flashkit and other large flash sites have thousands of tutorials for this and if you were to even read flash help that you have in your program you would know how to do it.

Sound like a lot of impatient peeps with a newbie.... but I don't know the whole story as I'm new to being a full time member of the site.

To go to the question at hand - it would help us a lot to know what version you are using as the way things are layed out in Flash MX and my old version of Flash are different.

Basically you want to add an action to the button to take it either to another frame within flash or to a URL.

In old versions of Flash you just needed to double click on your image and an input box would pop up / in MX no box pops up but the info you need is at the bottom of the screen - you want to tell flash your selection is a button then click the 'actions' tab - there will be a big plus sign (+) when you click this it will give you a list of options to pick from the drop down list... and just pick the action you want and input the path you want it to go to.

I hope I've been able to explain it so you understand and if you have any further questions let me know - d;-)

I'll just go through a whole tutorial onto making a button..written by me. So if it's unclear, tell me.

1. Create your text\symbol.
    2. Select it and press F8 and convert it to a button.
    3. Go inside your button by double clicking.
    4. Press F6 until the end of the 5 or 6 frames that are labled (i dont know the exact number).
    5. on the last one labeled put a square around your text so when you click on it, you don't have to click the exact text.
    6. Go back to Scene 1 from your timeline.
    7. Open your actionscript (F9)
    and put in

on(event) {
    getURL("url", "target frame(optional)");
    }

I think you can do on(click) { too, i can never remember actionscript of the top of my head, if that code doesn't work, tell me, and i'll find out the one that works cause i've used it loads of times.

Hope that helped,
    Addis