Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pimped out Corolla cont.

Over the summer, reading all the mod journals that had been springing up got me jealous. So many people were (and still are) making cool computers, altering cars, or what have you. So I decided I'd "enhance" my '92 Toyota Corolla with some bitchin flames. Recently, I decided that maybe others would like to read about the project, so here it is. Hope you enjoy.

Note: Before continuing, please realize the irony of this venture... I don't really think juxtaposing rust spots and missing hubcaps with flames makes me or the car cool. But it's entertaining to drive around and watch reactions! :P Also, thanks to Matt for all his help.

Here's what we started with:

And a doctored version we used for the initial design:

Due to reasons beyond our control, the final product did not have the yellow highlights (see below).

As you can see, the black pin stripes were going to interfere with the flow of the flames, so we painted them white:

Next, we taped drawing paper to the side of the car and began the initial sketch:

Here, you can see how we used a maximized render of the design as a guideline, running between the 'canvas' and the computer.

After the sketch was completed, we took it off, traced it over in Sharpie, then cut it out. We had to pay special attention to what seemed to be imperfections in the sketch, because in many cases they were necessary for the design to work over the irregular surface of the car.

I cleaned the car with a powerwasher next so that the surface would be easy to work with and the paint would dry correctly.

Next, I taped the now-stencil onto the car and covered it with contact paper. In the picture, I'm using a razor blade to cut the stencil off of the car so that we'd have a negative image to paint in. I didn't have to worry too much about slicing into the body paint since I was cutting along where the flames and body paint met. Even so, it wasn't difficult to avoid doing this.

Painting the car. I had gone around the edges of the contact paper with a credit card to make sure there were no bubbles--places where the paint could potentially leak through and ruin the outline.

(Carefully!) Peeling off the contact paper the next morning before work.

Repeated for the other side, and we were done!

...Ok, so maybe not as involved, complex, or impressive as the aforementioned computer mods. Even so, it was a fun project, and driving around in the car was quite a show.

A couple weeks after the project, the car died, which is why we did not add the yellow highlights. We had to pay a charity to take it away. It was quite a sad day; I spent some time with the car, you know, saying goodbye. I am consoled by the idea of a homeless person or an orphan playing with a car door or using one of the two remaining hubcaps as a frisbee, the glint reflecting in his/her smiling face.

This one's for you, Corolla.

Toyota Corolla
    1992 - 2004
    I've got rhythm I haven't used yet.

What a sad story

[edit] VVV omg VVV
    Giggidy! Giggidy! Giggidy!

ALRIGHT!!! Giggady giggady gig-a-dy! (Quagmire)

I approve!

where is your spoiler?

That Old Russell
    AKA
    TOR

and the nawz sticker... that sticker alone adds 6 horsepower
    SatisFaxion

Please Support Our Sponsors, They Help To Keep 3DBuzz.com Alive:
    3DWorldmag | Kaydara | Discreet | SideFX | Oregon3d | 3DUniversity | Pixologic | Alias | Caligari | EdHarriss

My free iPod referral thingamagigge

next step.....

getting rid of that gawd awefull rust

DUDE why did you get rid of it?!?!?! I would have sooo bought that! *Sniffle* Was it a manual by the way? If it was I would have really wanted it. Fix the engine/tranny, add a nice little cool air intake, some struts, Eibach Pro Kit Springs...mmm.....drift car....
    3Ds Max freak in the making all thanks to 3D Buzz!

MD right now - hopefully someday, sunny FL!
    LOL great story!

Drift car?....isnt it front wheal drive?

i wouldnt really call it Pimped out
    but yeah its cool
    sad that you got rid of it you ciould have added some nice rims

jake.hall@gmail.com Got Xbox live? Add me. DuDeY109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast