Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Beginning Open GL or DirectX 9? good place to start?

as i learn c++ i want to get into Beginning DirectX 9. I found they have a book out. But the reviews on it make the book suck.
    Here is the book i speak of. Also gamedev.net gave this book a bad rating i noticed.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...10553?v=glance

I found this book,It looks good it is called
    Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...255147-6910553

It looks a bit advanced for me.
    Im just looking to get a good book or tutorials on video or online or anywhere. That will get me started. I want to learn this as i learn c++ or least try too.

Why i need this is because. I know all the programming books require you to know c++ and direct x 9 somewhat.

I hear open gl is good as directx 9 and alot easier also.is this true maybe.If so any good starting books or starting places on it.
    Which is best to use or start with.
    I want to get into 3d game programming is my goal.Take my 3ds max models and use them.

open gl book that looks good to me.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...10553?v=glance

Another one here also.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

There site looks good.
    http://www.opengl.org/

Let me know something
    Thanks,Chris^_^
    Last edited by chinese_lover; 01-20-2005 at 01:56 PM.

Personaly i think you should learn C++ first.. At least most the basic(knowing what things are in C++ from varibles to classes)

AS starting with DirectX... Ummm i would say no. DirectX is the hardest API (from what i have seen) to learn. I would start with SDL. http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

nehe.gamedev.net is a very good site to get you started in openGL. As for openGL books, the Red Book and the Blue Book contain almost everything you'll ever need to know. I would however try to also learn the basics of c++ since it is important to understand the coding, and openGL calls are just a part of graphics. (or directx calls for that matter)

If you can do that nehe tutorials, they do bring you along very gently but informatively and can spring you along your way.
    confused by earlier errors
    bailing out

the thing to remember is that dx also controls input/output, network etc. i believe openGL just handles graphics
    just wanted to point that out.
    im planning on doing some openGL or some simple dx tuts at some point aswell

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

I got 5 or 6 books about DirectX9, Include all above. They are so hard.

Re: Beginning Open GL or DirectX 9? good place to start?

Originally posted by chinese_lover

I found this book,It looks good it is called
    Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...255147-6910553

It looks a bit advanced for me.
    Im just looking to get a good book or tutorials on video or online or anywhere. That will get me started. I want to learn this as i learn c++ or least try too.
    I read Luna's book, and i think it's not that good for a beginner. Although it explains the useage of directx pretty well, it won't give you the neccessary understanding of 'how things work' in 3D-APIs. Luna is using the D3DX-library throughout his book, which makes things a LOT easier, but unfortunately, this won't help you understanding directx at all.

I know that when you're learning a programming language, you want to get to the cool stuff as quickly as possible, so i'd recommend you start implementing the 3D- maths first. It isn't that hard and schould give you a good understanding of the very basics of the language. As soon as you understand the more advanced things like pointers, classes etc. you may try to program some easy 2d-applications.
    remember that the first few weeks you spend learning a language are the hardest, so keep your aim simple. if you get frustrated in this early phase, because the problem you picked is too complex, you will probably break off the whole thing.

Originally posted by WraithGuard
    the thing to remember is that dx also controls input/output, network etc. i believe openGL just handles graphics
    just wanted to point that out.
    Yes, but OpenGL can be used with SDL, which does have that stuff. (basic mouse, keyboard, and joystick input, audio, direct video, etc.)

The cool thing about SDL is that it's open source, and it's also portable, so the same source code and be compiled and run in Linux, Windows, etc.
    Last edited by halma; 01-21-2005 at 03:53 PM.

I would have to disagree that DirectX is a hardest API to learn anymore becuase microsoft has come out with a new version of DirectX called Maneged DirectX. The is a more OO version of DirectX and uses alot less code (it used to take like 15 lines of code to access the D3D interface but now it only takes 1).

that's true but mastering managed code can be hard as well

especially for a newbie to api programming managed code might be confusing, although it is very important and anyone with a serious interest in programming will have to learn it sooner or later. but for a complete beginner... nah, not a good place to start imho.

Start with the SDK tutorials that come with DirectX. They really are the basics to what you need to know. Work through them and get a nice understanding on how things work in the DirectX world. Even if there are things you don't understand about c++ you probably will after.

Don't think that you have to learn c++ the boring way. True you have to have an understanding of it to do DirectX but what's to say you can't learn c++ through DirectX. Bulding your understanding of them together. I've learnt so much more about c++ by just learning it as i go. It may take you a bit longer but you develop skills that you just wouldn't pick up with a single c++ book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast