Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wilmington, NC: The Hollywood of the South

Question Problems with Geosphere

I have scoured the internet for a tutorial on how to get a geosphere looking like a creature head (animal, beastie, etc. for a game) but still have yet to find one. I tried using a FFD on the geosphere, plus converting it to editable mesh and still have the same results. See here:

Mine is NOTHING like theirs even after trying several different geodesic base types like tetra and octa.
    What I would like help with is some advice or suggestions on which geosphere they used to make this low poly head. Anyone know because I'm still trying to figure it out.

-Brian W.

Why do you even want to use a geosphere?
    Geosphere is not ment for these kind of modeling, use box or spline modeling rather than this.
    I have read many tuts that say that starting a model from sphere (or geosphere) is bad idea. Because you'll never good topology of polygons if you use sphere.

Originally posted by earth
    Why do you even want to use a geosphere?
    Geosphere is not ment for these kind of modeling, use box or spline modeling rather than this.
    I have read many tuts that say that starting a model from sphere (or geosphere) is bad idea. Because you'll never good topology of polygons if you use sphere.
    thats very true... or any particular reason you after the geosphere?
    "We are what & where we are because we have first imagined it."
    Donald Curtis

Sure, I can answer that.

There is a game called Neverwinter Nights by Bioware that allows you to add custom content into the game. So I pretty much exported one of the models that is used in the game, froze it, and used it as a reference. Anyhow the reason why I am using the geosphere is because I assume Bioware's model that I am going by used it in their modeling. Somehow, they managed to pull out a creature's head.

I just followed along. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that they could have used nurms and then converted over to an editable mesh. Not sure. The question is how? Applying the FFD helped a little with getting the contour of the beast, but still it looks... bad.

Hope that explains everything well enough. Apparently I just need to use another geo huh?

Now I understand what you were thinking.
    They used editable mesh or editable poly and then converted to editable mesh.
    If I look at geosphere it consists of triangles and editable mesh too consists from triangles. I think they just modeled starting from editable poly and then converted it to mesh.

did you try opening the sample max file Bioware has on there site and seeing what the minotaur was created out of?
    Aint that some ...

Originally posted by ja8t3d
    did you try opening the sample max file Bioware has on there site and seeing what the minotaur was created out of?

Yup, I did. Though they decided to actually name the parts this time unfortunately for me. Unless there is a minotaur I don't know of?

nope blast it! when i had the 3dsmax demo i couldn't get past playing w/ the animation
    Aint that some ...

Originally posted by ja8t3d
    nope blast it! when i had the 3dsmax demo i couldn't get past playing w/ the animation

Heh,I think I was a little too ambitious when I changed the emitters on the fire elemental to more of an icy look. :P Still I might have found something on the net about using a geosphere to model a human head. I guess thats close enough. If that doesn't work, I'll probably end up playing with another model.

The only thing I have found about Geosphere modeling thus far can be found in Paul Steed's "Modeling a Character in 3DS Max". Take into consideration however, this material is dated and was aimed at max 3 and 4 users for low poly games. Hope that helps, oh and you can find it at Amazon, Barnes & Nobles or Borders rather easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast