Question Learning C++ Home study vs College? Do Companies really care?

I am looking to start C++ in college. Im looking to get certified in it.
    I have went through the 1st issue of 3d buzz video set. Also went through another 4 videos of another set and im understanding C++ basics pretty good. I plan on getting me a good book to study out of to get better. Here is the question.
    What does everyone think from learning at Home study vs going to College and getting certified or a degree of some sort.
    Do Companies that hire really look at all that alot?
    If you can prove your self with a good resume. Also showing something you have programmed on cd or website or something.
    Just wondering what everyone thinks?
    I have been putting in 2 to 4 hrs a day. 7 days a week. On getting down the basics of C++
    Im looking to get into game programming is my goal.
    Let me know something? Thanks,Chris^_^
    Last edited by chinese_lover; 01-19-2005 at 09:38 AM.

most likely yes. Every game company that i have looked at the jobs has required 4-6 years + c++ experience(generally) and a BS in computer science or mathematics. Even companies like mysql and other big software developers require this, so i would say you would have to go to college to be considered even for alot of positions in a company similar to any of these

of course studying it on your own at home is great, but you need a degree to prove it to people that are going to hire you

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

Try the Open University

Thats how I'm getting my degree in computer programming.

It all depends if you make microsoft word on your own with no formal training then that is probably good enough for you to get hired without a college degree. Most place however when they get your resume look at it for a Degree if you have one then they keep it a little longer then non-degree people.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog