Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Help Converting 5000+ .ai files into thumbnails

Need Help Converting 5000+ .ai files into thumbnails for database. Is there a software out there that can do the job?
    thanks

umm, havent ever encountered a .ai extension, but im thinking that photoshop could handle it with the batch process. otherwise i think this has probably been discussed somewhere, there are a few free batch programs that can perform operations on a large number of images, try google, or search around the forums

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

thanks all.

after 3-4days finally got it.
    Adobe Illustrator 10 can do this.
    move files into one folder.
    record action to turn .ai into .gif, set .gif size then batch folder.

paul g.
    www.unitedengraving.com

hi

i'm having a simular problem like you experienced. I need to create thumbnails of my .jpg's which are from my camera.
    Lots and lots of pictures.......

Can i also do it with Photoshop 7.0??? Or only with Illustrator?

Are there other free apps which have the same abilities but are free?

You can do it with photoshop 7.0:
    1. Open one image from the folder of the pictures
    2. Go to the Window menu then click on Actions (or click on the Actions tab in the 3rd palette if you are using the original palette locations)
    3. Then click on "Create new action", 2nd from the right at the bottom of the palette.
    4. On the pop-up dialog, give it a name then click on "Record".
    5. Resize the image to the desired size and optionally, add effects or filters that you want to be applied to all the pictures. Close the file when you are done.
    6. Click on "Stop playing/recording" on the Actions palette.
    7. Go to the File menu then open the Automate submenu and choose Batch.
    8. Once the pop-up dialog appeares, select the Action that you saved to, you will have to select the set that you saved it in too. In the Source section, select Folder and click on the "Choose..." button and select the folder of the pictures you want to resize. If you want to change the destination directory, just modify the next section on the pop-up dialog.
    9. If you are done, click on "Ok" and watch your computer do all the resizing for you.

That's pretty much it, if you want to do more, just tweak around with the settings. Good luck!

Thanks,

It's just perfect if I can do it with Photoshop. Thanks for the quick answer, i'll give it a try.

ohb

Another option would be for Imagemagik. It is a command line based conversion application, which means you can probably incorporate the syntax for the app into your database somehow to automatically convert images to your desired thumbnail size and format automatically. It is free and open source. I believe 3D Buzz has Imagemagik running on their servers for thumbnail conversions.

That sounds good. I tried including a command line based program into PHP before but i gave up trying.

Umm.... I searched on google, i only found a documentation for ImageMagik but google also suggested ImageMagick to me.
    Did you just by mistake have a typo?? Could you give me the exact URL to the download page.
    That would be awesome

yes I did a typo. I seem to always misspell it. Go with what Google suggests. They know what they are talking about...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast