Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disappointed with Gmail

At first I thought Gmail was wonderful, but what the hell is going on lately?

Here's my 2 biggest problems (have contacted thier support weeks ago but no reply).

1) SPAM. Now, my own account has never recieved a single spam mail in the months I've been using Gmail, all good yes? No. I was given 10 invites recently. These invites have ALL been spammed to death. I gave one to my mum and one to my dad, along with a new computer. Both of their accounts recieve at least FOUR spam mails a day.Including the day they were opening. This would not be so strange if they had ever used the email addy, but they haven't. Neither of my parents addys have ever been given to anybody or typed anywhere at all, the ONLY people who had this address were myself and Google. Spam arrived within minutes of starting the account. I've since given out 2 more invites, and both also recieve several spams a day. All the spam for all 4 addresses comes from the same one or two places. It's most annoying because the account-names are perfect and signing up for new gmail accounts means having to add numbers to the end. I've still got lots of invites left, but am scared to give them out right now in case they're also rendered useless. Luckily my own account is still spam free, yet that addy gets used everywhere, weird huh? Problem only seems to affect new accounts.

2) "Loading..." OK I got a phone call from my parents complaining they couldn't check their mail yesterday. I had no idea what was wrong, but the screen just got stuck on "Loading..." and wouldn't show anything else. Sometimes it would show the inbox for 2 seconds and hide it again. The Gmail notifier would say a new mail arrived, and display the first few lines, but it was impossible to access the main inbox. Later on they tried it again and it worked fine. Today, right now in fact, which is what has prompted me to fly off on this rant, I've now got the same friggin Loading problem! Cannot check my mail at all. I can see my inbox but the screen goes blank in seconds. I figured it was something my parents did wrong but it's obviously a gmail problem. So now I'm stuck here checking my mail every 2 minutes becuase I need to reply to a certain important mail which I can see I have but cannot open. Argh.

Right now I'm considering switching back to Hotmail, I never thought I'd be saying that. Was a huge fan of google in general and thought the email would be as smooth and reliable as thier other services.

i dont no how you can be disapointed with 1gb of FREE email + it has a spam blocker which has never let me down
    its free what do you expect?
    and i use the firefox gmail notifyer and it works great always works

jake.hall@gmail.com Got Xbox live? Add me. DuDeY109

The point is either they're giving away addys to spam lists or someone has gained access to thier list of new accounts. Who wants an email that gets 4 spams on the first day? What good is that account now? Sure I could give them new invites but their first choice name has already been used - how annoying is it to own your name but have to sign up to another account as 'JohnSmith27564@gmail' just because 'JohnSmith@gmail' was killed by spammers before you ever got to use it. And even then, I don't know if gmail have fixed the problem yet, I could give them a new account and the same thing might happen. Seems fishy only new accounts are getting this issue, I've been using my old one and never get any spam on that, so what's happened?

Anyway just wanted to raise those points, if more ppl know about it then hopefully Google may find out what's going on and do something about it.
    Last edited by Sqwirral; 01-17-2005 at 12:42 PM.

all the spam mail goes into the spam block , just done go in there
    they get deleted after a while and dosent use much of your space
    and if you name is already taken there nothing that you can do

jake.hall@gmail.com Got Xbox live? Add me. DuDeY109

Yes it goes in the spam folder, but unfortunately sometimes valid emails get put in ther too, so it still needs to be checked =/

Firstly, depending on the address used it is *very possible* that it is being spammed simply because of the address. For instance I have on odubt spammers will spam johndoe@gmail.com through johndoe9999@gmail.com because it'll only take less than 1 minute to hit all those addresses and they are likely all taken. As for the loading thing, might have to do with how your computer is handling javascript... have you tried hitting F5?

The loading problem is just when their servers slow down. It happened to me yesterday too. You just have to be patient.

As for the spam - I dont get any to my gmail account. I used to get a few, I reported all of them as spam and all subsequent ones got removed straight away. The spam filter only remains effective if you keep it up to date. With spammers coming up with new tricks every day to beat the filters you have to work at it.

Personally I have had no problems with gmail especially as its free!

Perhaps that's what has happened Demondo. I thought of that but then thought it was too unlikely, but now you've mentioned it as well, maybe there's something to it. I'm going to use a couple more invites to start new accounts with obscure names that won't be so easy to generate, see what happens.

The loading problem has fixed itself now, when it occurs it only seems to last about 10 minutes, yeah I tried hitting refresh and different browsers etc. Fingers crossed it won't happen again.

Also note that this is in beta, therefore not everything should be how they want it to be.

i've never had too bad of problems with gmail. my main gmail has never gotten a single piece of spam, and i have been using it for a few months w/ fairly steady usage. my secondary gmail has gotten some spam, but that was only after i used it at a public library. as far as uptime goes, it has been fine. occasional it goes down, though never for more than 15mins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast