View Poll Results: When will computers be able to hold conversations?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Within 0-4 years

14 19.44%
  • Within 5-10 years

19 26.39%
  • Within 11-15 years

10 13.89%
  • Within 16-20 years

5 6.94%
  • More than 21 years

24 33.33%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Lightbulb A.I. - When will computers be able to hold conversations?

Have any of you met A.L.I.C.E. (Artificial Linguistic Internet Computer Entity)? I found this bot the other day, and I was really impressed with how well she was able to communicate with me. Artificial Intelligence has come a long way over the last few years. I don't think we're that far from having computers with the ability to talk to us. What do you think?

I've seen similar things over AIM, it can hold a conversation for a while, over specific key words, but eventually it breaks down.

yeah they are on the cusp right now Nova or Scientific American did an expose' on this not too long agon

10 years tops
    Aint that some ...

She's a smart ass too. I asked how long it took her programmer to code her. She said "More than three hours"

Shes doin ok, been at it for about 45 minutes, shes still rocking. Lets see how long it takes to get her.

RedZep

I broke ALICE very quickly, as did Jozvex - the technology behind her is very interesting - basically she is programmed in Java but the AI part is in the form of a Markup type structure (AIML, looks interesting, worth a read)

the problem is that she doesn't remember things that you don't specifically tell her, so she tends to change the topic a lot

So, To answer the poll I would say that to an extent AI can already hold a conversation, and I don't think it will be too long before a computer will be able to hold a more intelligent conversation.

that's a lot different from "When will computer be able to make rational decisions, form opinions or have emotions."
    That's all merely simulation, computers are electronic
    Last edited by stu_hacking; 01-17-2005 at 02:44 AM.

she cant thread statements... if she makes a statement and not a question, like "ugh" and you respond, "Ugh?" she doesnt know what you mean, and further, if you ask what she means, she's already forgotten. Took me less than 6 statements to break her.

But you can hold a conversation with her. A decent one even, and she's full of statistical information, if you could plug her into google, wow. So I dont know what you mean. If you can hold a convo with her, then how is your question valid?
    Last edited by BentSea; 01-17-2005 at 03:41 PM.
    I like to fall down, it gives me the rewarding feeling of standing back up again....

GET A free Mac Mini Don't forget to read everything they send you and to sign up for one of the offers in order to complete your memberships.

You just have to copy/paste there answer and it breaks, as a real person would say "stop it" or something like that.

I voted more than 21 years, but never is what I believe
    sjojo

Originally posted by stu_hacking
    I broke ALICE very quickly, as did Jozvex - the technology behind her is very interesting - basically she is programmed in Java but the AI part is in the form of a Markup type structure (AIML, looks interesting, worth a read)

the problem is that she doesn't remember things that you don't specifically tell her, so she tends to change the topic a lot

So, To answer the poll I would say that to an extent AI can already hold a conversation, and I don't think it will be too long before a computer will be able to hold a more intelligent conversation.

that's a lot different from "When will computer be able to make rational decisions, form opinions or have emotions."
    That's all merely simulation, computers are electronic
    conversation? Ask her what the meaning of life is and all you will get is what the person who programed her thinks the answer shoud be.
    Last edited by sjojo; 01-17-2005 at 09:53 AM.
    sjojo

Somewhere in the State of Misery A.K.A. Missouri
    yes... alice is A LONG way from perfect... and I too believe that we'll never see ai in the way that it's portrayed in the movie ai... it's just too freaky... it gets to that weird place where computers are like humans but not human enough to really be humans... so it freaks people out.
    My art blog: http://www.jeffthomannsart.blogspot.com

My Entropia Universe Item Selling Blog: http://www.mariasgoods.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast