Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Keep to the task of Testemonials whether good or bad not bickering over how to obtain them. Start a thread for that.

Thank you
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

I ordered the VTMs over Christmas and received them a lot faster than I thought I would. I read a lot of reviews here on the forum and this thread about the VTMs. I have books, but they were dry and books aren't very interactive. I couldn't go to school because I wasn't yet a resident in WA and I just don't have the time or money right now. I have friends who are very good at C++ that I could use as a resource as well. The second day I had the VTMs, I sat in front of my computer for a good 8 hours watching, backing up, rewatching and learning. I blew through variables, control statements, and the like as I've done VB in the past and I'm a regular PHP coder.

Then I got to the ever dreaded "Pointers" module and had the same 'What the hell!?!' reaction that a lot here have had. I watched it twice, read the forums and was on the verge of 'getting it', and then the train derailed. I really liked the use of photoshop to visually explain what was going on, because that really really helped. I asked a lot of questions with my friend who writes C++ and after lots of back and forth I finally understood. I think that the module should have gone through it a bit slower. When I get a chance I can post what I got out of my conversation with my friend that helped me understand the concept that might help others.

Structures and Classes was also something I struggled with, but not in the way you're probably thinking. I understand that a Struct is pretty much a super variable, and a Class does stuff and more of it. I just couldn't figure out how to make them work together. Why and how they were different. Why would I write a structure if I could just use Inheritance? Through talking to my friend, I found out you don't. You use one or the other, depending on your problem needing solved. Not everything needs a Class and this is just one more 'tool in the shed'. This wasn't pointed out in the video.

Classes and Methods (functions) tripped me up a little due to terminology differences. Reading tutorials on the net, my books, and talking to my friend... he would say "the method in your class" and I thought "what the heck is he talking about?". Come to find out, a function not part of a class is called a
    'Function' and a function part of a class is called a 'Method'. One of the biggest issues new programmers have is the language barrier. Everyone calling a single thing something different really screws us up. As for Classes themselves, I didn't really understand why we had private data until I applied it to something I liked...such as in a game you don't want users to change the default health from 100 to 1000 or the armor values, so you make that private and use the public methods to modify the values for when you lose health and such. Using Point x,y,z was a bit confusing. Making a Player class or an Mammal class and working from there would have helped me more.

I haven't gotten beyond VTM2 as I'm trying to go back and make sure I have a solid foundation before I dive into the bigger stuff like making a game. I really like the way the VTMs are done in that they aren't so dry. Joel and Buzz and Dan are bantering like a classroom and it really makes it feel like this is fun and there's no pressure. When Buzz mentions "the student is probably thinking 'what the hell did you just say'" I'm sitting there thinking EXACTLY that. Having Buzz come from the student view is excellent, and I would highly recommend that in future VTMs. Its like me asking a question, but I can't because its a video and Buzz pulls it off nicely. I would also like to see more example projects like you guys did with the Coke machine and control statements. That really helps tell me WHY I'm doing what I'm doing, instead of just showing it to me. I'm sure a lot of other students need to see how its applied.

Overall, few minor things to work on, but great VTMs so far and I would have paid the $350 for them (got the sale price). Definately find a good book or a friend that writes C++ that you can ask questions to go along with these VTMs.

product

Quote Originally Posted by percent20
    Post here about how much you gained and what you thought of the videos.
    how can I buy this video's and can you explain about them and what is the price??

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by metegs
    how can I buy this video's and can you explain about them and what is the price??
    they are programming videos go to the link in the top of your browser that says
    STORE

look for the c++ bundle or the c++ opengl bundle

it explains it all there
    ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS

WOO I got my c++ videos 1-6 today here in Sweden.

And they rock!!!

Also i didn't that the OpenGL vtms was 24 h. So I know what I will to the coming week.

24 hrs is so huge.. have they dived into everythin there is .....would take an year to compl those i guess.

Hi there , i can only see good things said about those VTMs, i ordered the full bundle yesterday , very excited about'em . hope they are not gonna take too long to arrive (i live in Japan).
    good work guys :thumbs up:

Quote Originally Posted by SamSed
    hope they are not gonna take too long to arrive
    Wow , i got them yesterday , thanks Buzz a bunch

The VTMs are better than any book that I have bought. I can't believe they are FREE.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by nhassan
    The VTMs are better than any book that I have bought. I can't believe they are FREE.
    They are free!?
    n4x0 -- C++ Programmer
    Tank Game - Progress: 11%

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast