Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    I don't think the lesson is "messy" to say. I think grasping the concept of pointers may be one of the hardest concepts to grasp. Just take a browse over the forums. Post after post after post is of people trying to figure out pointers. It's just gonna take time till it finally sinks in. I personally took 2 java classes, a VB class, and a C++ class along with watching the pointers lesson and I still don't have them down 100%. The again, learning then slacking for a year doesn't help either :-/ All in all, moral of the story, keep at it. It takes time, but you'll get it.
    "You have to be 10% smarter than the item you're trying to operate."

Hey RamboMadCow, thanx for pointing out that I'm not the only one having problem with pointers hehe! At least now I know it isn't because I'm stupid, it is tough in generel!

When I said messy I didn't mean it as a negative thing, just that it could appear messy/nonsense for a newbie like me, hence that specific lesson is advanced compared to the other lessons (that I've seen so far I mean). At least iI think so.

About learning and then slacking for a year, that has been the main problem each time I started on something, after a few months I lost interest, just gotta find a method to keep it up!
    Last edited by Demonio; 12-02-2005 at 11:25 AM.

VTM #5 - Done!

After working on and off as my schedule permitted, I finally finished working thru the evilMonkeys VTMs (1-5). I already knew a little C++ going in from a couple of classes and it's been a nightmare trying to learn stuff from books only.

Overall Rating: outstanding! making your very first game from scratch is always a great way to learn!

Pros: It is always great to see stuff done it front of you, and for you to follow along with it. It's kind of like your own computer lab, and you get to try, fail, and then keep trying to figure stuff out. For the stuff they taught you in relation with the money you pay for the content ... no contest. They should sell these VTMs to like schools and universities. What kid wouldn't want to learn how to make a graphical maze game from scratch? In conjuction with class lecture and a good teacher, learning to make your very own game in the lab would excite any beginner programmer. Great job, guys.

Cons: Quality control. It is no secret that there are few things that are unaddressed, starting with VTM #5 Lesson 3. True, if you pay attention, you will eventually see the code you want in later lessons, but that can be frustrating if you do not know that. Ostamo's file helped a little, but still left some blank spaces (I have since enhanced the file. I updated the notes as I went thru all the lessons.) Now, if you have patience and know how to debug, you can figure everything out yourself eventually (like I did.) Heck, maybe that was the point. I am just saying that there should be a README or a note about these gaps. Let's face it ... there are enough of those loud mouth 3DBuzz detractors out there. The last thing you want is to have them pass the word that the content is poor or that stuff was left out or that stuff was done offscreen, etc. I am just suggesting that for future VTMs teaching C++ stuff, maybe it should go thru a couple of rounds using people who had nothing to do with the creation process to give these things a proper QC. Plus, it would help true noobs from getting lost and frustrated.

That's my $.02 ..
    Randy Wong

-- It would seem that all problems could be summed up with one point...

-------- It takes time for the human mind to understand abstract concepts and to that matter; there are a ton of brand new abstract concepts that need to sink in, one at a time, in order for you to progress. There is a ton of information that is stackable meaning that you need to know A to understand B so, we tend to get frustrated when A does not make total sense therefore you stop learning.

-- With that said, I have found that two things helped me to get a firm grasp on everything they were to teach.

-------- First, what I would recommend is to keep moving forward... you may not know exactly what they are talking about with, fore example, pointers. That’s ok, just watch that vtm a few times to get familiar with the content (not necessarily the concept) then move on. Once they start applying pointers to something meaningful, something might just click and now you can go back and view the pointers vtm again. This is where the vtm’s fall short… they actually say that “before you move on you should understand this concept”… but really you should only be familiar with the concept so when they put it into practice you know what to look for. Sometimes, theory is not enough; sometimes, un-interesting application is not enough; sometimes, you need to see it a few times in an interesting and practical way in order to let the concepts take.

-------- Second, there is a fantastic program written by a company called Whole Tomato. This program is really just a plug-in for MSVS called Visual Assist. Before I had purchased this plug-in, it was very difficult to understand the VTM's in general, however, after purchasing this program everything was made clear. It would complete certain actions for you and assist you where MSVS context typing leaves off. If you want to learn at a much faster pace and have a more exciting experience writing code then this is for you. It actually helps me to keep up with Joel, not because I can type fast but because of all of its assistance. I know many firms that use this plug-in because it speeds up production.

Visual Assist Link

PS: The only negative thing I could say about the VTM's is this: Joel says "over here"... where is here? My suggestion is to think about where "here" is and tell us where that is by a reference point. If "here" is in the main function then say lets go to "the main function". Please, don’t get me wrong... I think Joel is a great teacher. It is amazing how easy it is for him to get across his points with clarity. I only bring it up because it is really the only improvement that could be made. I hope that this does not offend you Joel, but helps with growth.

-- Also, It was finally good to see the other side of the coin with game development. I have been an artist in the games industry for many years and always wanted to know how the engineer’s thought about things and why they do the things that they do. Now it is much easier to communicate with each other to achieve the results that are desired.
    Take care,
    Jeff C.

video troubles..

I ordered the set about 2 months ago and did some work with the first lessons, but just now had a chance to sit down and watch each in anticipation of what I will be working up towards. My openGL cd was blank and writeable . info@3dbuzz.com and the contact that I had when I placed my order hasn't responded to me. Any of you guys have a suggestion on who to contact? I look foward to having the chance to post progress on the videos here, but am just grabbing at options to try to get ahold of someone with buzz that can help me out.

-Iepetus

Feel free to also write what you think of the training here: http://www.verdicts.co.uk/items/1664...ing/items.html

Help spread the word.

Thanks

Mat.
    Last edited by Mat_Brummitt; 12-14-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iepetus
    I ordered the set about 2 months ago and did some work with the first lessons, but just now had a chance to sit down and watch each in anticipation of what I will be working up towards. My openGL cd was blank and writeable . info@3dbuzz.com and the contact that I had when I placed my order hasn't responded to me. Any of you guys have a suggestion on who to contact? I look foward to having the chance to post progress on the videos here, but am just grabbing at options to try to get ahold of someone with buzz that can help me out.

-Iepetus
    I'll make sure that Angela gets this when she comes in this evening. I'm sure we can get everything sorted out. I do note, though, that you refer to your OpenGL disc as a "CD." That video was over TWENTY-FOUR hours long, and had to be placed on a DVD. You didn't put it into a CD-ROM drive by mistake, did you?

I only ask because each disc is tested and played on a computer before it is packaged and shipped. I'm not saying that something couldn't have slipped through, just that it's highly unlikely.

Either way, I'll have Angela contact you soon!

Thanks,

Zak

Ahhh.. That could be the problem.

I don't have a dvd drive at the moment and I had just thought it was blank when my cdrom/cd burner was asking for what files I wanted to put on it. I haven't tried sticking a dvd in there before, so it is most likely that is what is going on.

Thank you very much for pointing that out to me, Zak! My heart sank when I saw it as 'blank'. I'll find a computer with a dvd drive to give it a test on.. and work on upgrading soon.

Once I master the equipment side, I'll be good to start working on the programming side :/

Thanks again.

-Iepetus

Quote Originally Posted by Iepetus
    Thank you very much for pointing that out to me, Zak! My heart sank when I saw it as 'blank'. I'll find a computer with a dvd drive to give it a test on.. and work on upgrading soon.

Thanks again.

-Iepetus
    No problem! Thanks for letting me know. I wish we could get it on CD, but at 24 hours... that would be a heck of a lot of CD's, neh?

Zak

all set

I checked the dvd last night and all is good. There is some really good stuff on there that I look foward to getting into.

Yeah, it would be a lot of cds to try to fit it in that format. Everything is going to dvd now, I just have been in a position where I haven't been able to do much in the way of upgrading.

Thanks again,

Iep

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast