Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    thank you I like your approach to tutoring. I'm using rewind and pause frequently does not computel shuttingdownmainframe

Hey guys. In the C++ introduction video it doesnt workin Visual Studio 2010. To make it work, i need to have the following code:
    #include <iostream>

int main ()
    {
    std::cout << "Hello world!" << std::endl;
    }
    Note the red text that is added. I now know what the problem is, but why is it? I am a total noobie to C++, as you can see.

Unfortunately the video has some non-standard C++ code in it. Functions in C++ are required to have a return type.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

The problem is that, while the 3DBuzz videos point out that they are teaching a more generic C++, or at least letting us know that what they are showing us doesn't fit every compiler, it's still a little annoying coming across those differences through... not error but difference in the program's acts.

For example, I'm using Visual C++ 2010 Express. I entered Hello World. However, my console vanishs as quickly as it appears. That's because, after a little research, I hadn't used lines for
    system("Pause");
    return 0;

Don't get me wrong. The tone of the videos is PERFECT to me. Although it wasn't unexpected to have to do further research on certain issues (pointers and class), the 3DBuzz videos are the better of the ones I've looked at so far. Even Microsoft itself uses what is apparently outdated material (<stdio.h> instead of <iostream> for example).

And the arguments in my research regarding the use of struct vs. class makes a beginner's head spin.

Perhaps my problem is that my "beginner days" was 20+ years ago with courses that focused on business computer programming, but weren't kept up over the last 20 years because my career ended up not involving computer programming. So my new "beginner days" started in the last month or so. Therefore, I didn't have the evolution that many of the old timers saw.

So, while the old timers had the evolution, the newbies, still having to research for clarification on certain things they don't fully grasp in a video (no matter how good it is), find their research conflicting because the arguments they are exposed to butt heads between the old and the new. Not to mention that a chosen tutorial series may actually not be up to date (by even as little as a year) and so what the newbies may actually start out learning is old, while they are using newer systems.

I knew that learning C++ wasn't going to be easy, but hoped the videos would help. The tone keeps my attention, but I'm concerned I'm not going to get the knowledge I need to use the system I'm using. And, at the same time, don't get me wrong because, as I said, Microsoft ITSELF has tutorials which are out dated, as well as boring.

Reading is good for going back to research, but a good starting point are videos (short of actually being in a class, which you'd still, at some point, have to do further research anyway). And it's hard as heck to find good, attention keeping, up to date, system specific video tutorials.

I'll stick with 3DBuzz, but I really want to find my OPTIMAL video tutorials.

Edit: Oh, look, upon another research effort, I found a replacement for the system and return lines previously mentioned in the form of:
    cin.get();

:: sigh ::

This is as bad as commercial products in general. A LOT of different things doing the same thing and no real way to tell which is better than the other.
    Last edited by nightwng2000; 08-27-2010 at 09:00 PM.

On any further programming video tutorials, I wish that the output window be unpinned(set to auto hide) and the same with the project window. It takes up too much precious code space. You can see which file is active by looking at the tabs. Also it might be better to use the drop down selection window to go to functions instead of scrolling. Those would be my most recommended steps to making great videos even better.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwng2000 View Post
    Even Microsoft itself uses what is apparently outdated material (<stdio.h> instead of <iostream> for example).
    stdio.h is not outdated, it's simply 'The C-way of doing things', while iostreams are 'The C++-way'. Both have their pros and cons, which is why they're both still out there.

And the arguments in my research regarding the use of struct vs. class makes a beginner's head spin.
    Struct has default-public, class has default-private. Everything else is just a matter of personal taste

I knew that learning C++ wasn't going to be easy, but hoped the videos would help. The tone keeps my attention, but I'm concerned I'm not going to get the knowledge I need to use the system I'm using. And, at the same time, don't get me wrong because, as I said, Microsoft ITSELF has tutorials which are out dated, as well as boring.
    Let me get this straight: When learning C++ you *will* write bad code for at least 5 years. If you look back on last year's code and think 'God, that's some awful piece of crap', you're on the right track. C++ is filled with features, some of which may seem redundant, but they are all there for a reason. It takes years of training to learn about those reasons. That is why many people don't like it.
    For the moment, just focus on getting things done. If you feel uncomfortable with a certain piece of code, post it on the forums and get it reviewed. You will probably receive tons of remarks on how to improve your code. But don't let that discourage you - your primary goal should always be to just get things running. Then listen carefully to the comments of others and try to understand why their way of solving things might (or might not) be superior to yours.

This is as bad as commercial products in general. A LOT of different things doing the same thing and no real way to tell which is better than the other.
    That's just how C++ works. There are always several ways of solving things, and the differences between them can be *very* subtle. If you have a problem with that, try a more streamlined language, like Java or C#. C++ is 'The Beast' in terms of diversity, it doesn't get any worse. But then again, that's the reason why some of us love it so much

Nightwing... have you tried the member sponsor software engineering videos?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

I was just about to ask the same thing. Because when he said:
    For example, I'm using Visual C++ 2010 Express. I entered Hello World. However, my console vanishs as quickly as it appears. That's because, after a little research, I hadn't used lines for
    system("Pause");
    return 0;
    That was covered specifically in the c++ software engineering videos in the visual studio chapter.

Very true...I happen to own the C++ Complete VTM Suite, but I look forward to becoming a full-blown member sponsor come the end of this month/beginning of next, so I can learn what your videos cover, owensd. I can probably guess that you're probably going to be using VC++ 2010, as opposed to VC++ 2003 like Joel and Dan did in their VTMs. Not to say their code wasn't accurate, it did work with a few tweaks, however, I am really looking forward to seeing what you offer.

I have done C and some light C++ programming back in the "dark days of DOS" as they call them, but since those were the pre-.Net days, I have noticed that since .Net, there have been some pretty big changes to C++, but most of the ideas are still around today from the days I remember, but having these VTMs around will help one learn what's different between the pre-.Net version of C++ programming, and how the new-era C++ language can be better.

By default, C++ was NOT a .Net language (after all, it's about as old of a language as the IBM PC itself, iirc), and you can still program in that like you did some time ago, but...perhaps these changes may be good. Time will tell.
    Last edited by WedgeBob; 11-21-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

I like the training videos, even though they are going rather fast so rewinding is required :P. I have a problem however. I am unable to get wxWidgets working with MS Visual Studios 2010. Any pointers out there?

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast