Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    I work with studio 2008 express, and at Issue 3 - Game Loop, I started getting some weird errors about wrong objects, linkage failure and stuff. Did they change anything in 2008 version so its incapable of old code?
    For example, from issue 3:
    char key = " ";

The compiling stops at this point with

e:\source\evil\evil\game.cpp(9) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'const char [2]' to 'char'

On the line while (key != "q")

I am getting e:\source\evil\evil\game.cpp(8) : error C2446: '!=' : no conversion from 'const char *' to 'int'

Is there any possible solution to this? It is depressing to see that code compile perfectly on the vid, and on my system it just wont happen. I am pretty positive the source is identical to what happens on the screen.

I'd have been able to answer that for you a month ago. I need to brush up again!

Ah, just had a thought- I think there is an issue with obsolete code. I think I got stuck at the same place as you. There is a fix, but I can't remember what it is, someone can tell you though.

my manchester / liverpool photography

Not sure if the answer is in here but this thread is good to know.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=122895
    I have figured out what the internet is. You know what they say about an infinite number of monkeys hitting keys at random on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time? Well the internet is like that. There is some big cosmic alien running that experiment here in order to find the answer to some big question or to create the greatest piece of literature known to the universe. From what I have seen so far I am sorry to say they are going to be greatly disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Voley View Post
    I work with studio 2008 express, and at Issue 3 - Game Loop, I started getting some weird errors about wrong objects, linkage failure and stuff. Did they change anything in 2008 version so its incapable of old code?
    For example, from issue 3:
    char key = " ";

The compiling stops at this point with

e:\source\evil\evil\game.cpp(9) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'const char [2]' to 'char'

On the line while (key != "q")

I am getting e:\source\evil\evil\game.cpp(8) : error C2446: '!=' : no conversion from 'const char *' to 'int'

Is there any possible solution to this? It is depressing to see that code compile perfectly on the vid, and on my system it just wont happen. I am pretty positive the source is identical to what happens on the screen.
    Um... are you sure it is not:
    Code:
    while (key != 'q')
    and

Code:
    char key = ' ';
    Notice the use of a single quote (') not a double quote (").

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Yes, the reasen is that the C++ compiler treats '' as chars and "" as null terminated strings. So you must use the ' instead of " when working with chars. Some of the videos are blurry, and its common to see issues like that (another common one is mixing {} with ()).

Well spotted. That would certainly explain:

error C2446: '!=' : no conversion from 'const char *' to 'int'

my manchester / liverpool photography

great video's would have been better if they didnt use VC compiler or would have went in detail more about pausing the running application.
    vc compiler seems to pause the application without any code to do so, but run that without the compiler and it runs and ends before you can blink

And what compiler would you suggest? Sorry, but Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs around for Windows development (and one of the easiest to use); seems only natural to use that.

The "pause" happens during the debug so that you can see any output in the console window; there may be an option to make it stop. But if you just run it, it won't pause because no code is being added.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Thumbs up Amazing!!

I must honestly say.. I have been trying to learn this language for about 3 years now.. off and on, through every eBook and free online tutorial there is. Also tried to find good video tutorials. Finally i found the website with everything i have ever really wanted to learn in computers .. in programing .. photoshop even.. everything.

Its kinda funny.. spent the last year playing with Unreal tournament.. watching your guys' video, never thought for some retarded reason to go to the website and see everything else you had to offer.. kinda wish i had found you guys before hand lol.

Anyway thanks for the tutorials.. its a must need for people with ridiculous A.D.D. that can't actually focus for five min to read anything at all.. love you guys!!!

As the years go on and on. Using these videos, to learn how to code is a bit hard. Due to all the massive updates in the C++ compiling world.

Any beginner, that expects to follow these codes they use in the video, with something like VS08. Well be stomp and have to do the reach on the web to see why.
    For example in the first section of the videos. They never mention the user of integers and returns. Thus with out these two key elements, the program would not execute.
    I really like what they have done with these videos that I came across. But I think they need to update the description with in these section, to tell the new users to insect the two things I put above.

All in all, very well done. Even after all these years.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast