Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

i new here by the way

I have been wanting learn c++ for awhile but when i look at those books it seriously puts me off!!. BUT with these videos i can just follow through!!!

thanks guys(3dbuzz)

Question part 4 of VTM's?

the first 3 parts was great i learn alot, and the ideaa whit makeing a game vas briliant but i am excited when does the 4-part whit introduceing the graphics in the game will apear? a big THANKS for the team that made it and im sorry for my english (im romanian :P )

Well i just got my order of the c++ total package today. I started watching the ones that i hadn't seen online. I will be honest that maybe im just slow or something but they seem to go a bit too fast through everything for me, it however isn't much of a problem because i just watch the videos a few times each so i have the info down. I look forward to watching the rest of the videos. For $99 id say its a really good deal if you are a visual learner like i am. I just cant learn from the books, so seeing them do it has really helped.

All together id give it a 4.5/5. If you seriously want to learn c++ and are a visual learner id suggest getting this.

Can someone post a review on the Opengl portion of the VTMS. I am really curious as to what you do/learn and how it is.

I watched the videos at least once. Quite a few 2 times, and although I learned from them, I also felt like I would never be able to get through to the evil Monkeys and make it work. Well to my pleasant surprise, actually pausing the video, typing the code, going back and catching what you missed and following along, you do manage to make the game. It is very rewarding for sure. I can tell you that if you want to learn c++, opengl, I can't tell you how terrific this package is.

I am doing the opengl stuff now, and it is really wonderful!!.

I really recommend, take your time and just start trying to type the code as you watch and you will be amazed. I put in a lot more comments as I watched, like taking notes while watching into the code itself. It becomes a nice reference that way if you go back to look something up.

I easilly wasted at least twice what the course costs in books in the last 15 years trying to learn c and c++, forget opengl and all the other great stuff for making games.

You won't be disappointed if you put the time in to write the code and really review the videos. They are awesome!!

Fun and informative--

A solid compliment to regular study--(provided more keep comming) :-)

Joel is excellent, his students need ritlen (((focus))) - (((focus)))

Seriously, I have really enjoyed the videos.

I've watched a few video's sofar. As a Very beginner I find them very intuitive. Joel and Buzz are excellent teachers and keep it fun.( You guys get a little carried away at times). I am looking forward to the rest of the series. Thank you VERY much for taking the time to create the VTM's for us.

toad

I really enjoyed all the c++ vtms. What you have here are 3 c++ guru and a powerful debugger in Visual Studio that allows you to look inside the memory, play around with watch variables, etc. If you still don't get it after having these type of resources, then you should quit being a programmer folks.

c++ is all about symbols, operators, types, etc, make sure you spend the time really understanding this. After that, you are well on your way.

It really make us sick that a guru such as Joel Van Eenwyk is only in his 20's and received top honors in his schooling. Well, at least I am a certified general accountant and have accounting to fall back on in case I got my ass kicked by some of those computer kids.

I found the vtm modules very easy; of course I am already a Visual Basic guru myself. I came up to the rank of programmers when my bosses asked me to program in VBA, then the programs got more complex, and I had to switch to VB6, then VB.NET and Crystal Reports, etc. Now I am well on my way to join the rank of c++ programmer. I am not interested in Maya and that sort of things. These are for the kids.

Thumbs up ^_^

Basically...

Thank you for helping make As in my programming classes in college!

Just keeping it real.

Do NOT get C++ vtms unless you want to:-

1. Make a Evil Monkeys game with no animation (PS look good though no chance to advance yourself, no extra help.
    2. Uses Widgets only, plus they could have gone into more depth. and its not that different from opengl which looks more complex but isnt. If you've got a good opengl ref book or help guide download of the internet (ps not saying that you couldnt use it in evil monkeys game that you created its just not worth it). Well if you get an opengl chm book off the net you can just copy and paste the code like i do
    3. Uses your name and address in the background get a little irritating, but you get used to it, no chance on selling it on then?
    4. Joel needs to switch to decaf.
    5. In some of the vtms they get alittle lost Yes i know they planed it and still cant follow there own plans, funny eh "gurus?" i think not. Experienced yes.
    6. No source code?? hope you can type fast and alt-tab quickly

What i would recommed is that if you want to become a game programmer is
    1. get Beginning C++ Game Programming. Dos games only but after learning this you get all the basics.
    2. get Sams 24 game programming you use windows GDI for the graphics its a good start.
    3. get opengl tutorials http://nehe.gamedev.net/ free!!!
    4. get Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, 2nd ed. for directx
    5. Yes cheaper than vtms tutorials which costs around £100.
    6. Theres many free website for game programming.

My beef is
    1. they should have used software which is available to all ie Visual Studio Express C++ IDE or bloodshed C++ IDE. Not the expensive .net version! £100 pound is alot to some ok.
    2. they should have used opengl sdk or directx sdk at least, which is easily downloadable and there is plenty of help on the net on these sdk. Not widgets which is lame to say the least, ive tried to do more with it just cant, its just very basic and get irritating when you want to do more but cant!

Why i wrote this because i feel like chump. i dont want anybody buy this unless they have a spare $99, i just dont think some of there methods are very good or unique ive have found better help on the internet ps which is free. they use "popular (translated=EXPENSIVE)" software, well if you are lazy then you need this.

sorry i can go on and on, but my point is do you RESEARCH!! for example how many people have posted there Evil Monkeys game online and you though WOW i want to make a game like that. None that ive have seen or maybe ive missed that link. Good friends of buzz would say well you just learn "basics" well there right you just learn the basic and thats it.

if anyone got any questions on the c++ vtms email at akeealm@hotmail.com

Aki

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast