Question DVI to VGA adapter = less quality?

Does using a DVI to VGA adapter on a video card yield lesser video quality than a direct VGA connection? Or is it the same?
    Last edited by TsunamiZ; 01-14-2005 at 07:11 AM.

you mean dvi to vga, right? i'm guessing you have a crt monitor to hook up, no?
    anyway, i think the quality would be exactly the same. i've never heard of quality loss from anyone using those dvi to vga converter thingies that come with gfx cards.
    anyway! what're you doing up at 5am(here, anyway)?!
    me, i just got back from work...my job sucks

Yes I have a CRT monitor. Why does your job suck? 3am here.

I have a VGA monitor with an adapter going into DVI slot. It's great, not sure if there is any loss but the packaging said that there would be no loss of quality or anything with the adapter. 2 thumbs up

No you will not lose any quality with the DVI->VGA adapter. If there are any issues, it would be more due to interference, but for the most part, the adapters are prety well shielded from interference before it gets to the VGA cable.

yep, guessed right. and my job sucks cuz i work late and go to school a bit early(12pmish).

I use a DVI->VGA adapter on a crt monitor and I get a faint ghosting of dark colours just to the right of where they should be. I just assumed it was the adapter, but never really bothered with it... Though if anyone knows why i'm all ears.

-luke
    Hey! I came here to be drugged, electrocuted and probed, not insulted

I just changed Video card into a ATI 9800SE AIW (ok, not a good card but it was in my price range with video-in) and therefore i now use a DVI -> VGA adapter.. No loss what i can see..

Now for a couple of days ago I got a KVM switch that changes between computers.. that makes it impossible (??) for the computer to see what monitor im using. So that made my refreshrate go wacko... just got 60hz, i had to FORCE ATI-card to use 75hz again to get it work.. after a couple of headache days with 60hz...

But NO LOSS in image quality what i can see in DVI -> VGA
    Its hard to understand how smart people think!

i'am using ati 9800 + voodoo 2 on pci with three identical montors except one is on dvi...

there is absolutley no difference on neighter monitor... even if i compare the one on dvi with the one on my old voodoo... nothing

well... speed... is a different story