Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    i think i'm going to be ordering mine shortly...
    - Rik

the mini mac looks ok but i wish it had a G5 however i was really disapointed when I heard that mac released a new compoter and it wasnt a G5 titanium I want a laptop but I want a G5 gimme that not a slower last generation smaller computer. and wile im on the subject why did they ruin the imac? its much more powerful but the design of the old one with the swivel screen was flawless the new one is just ok looking at best at least they could have made it steel looking not white. and for christ sakes stop making white keyboards and mouses!! they dont match the stell on the g5. I want the black ones back !!!

Personally, I like the styling of the new iMacs, but to each their own. As for running with G5s in the Mac minis, for a system designed the way that Apple wanted, they would have had to deal with serious thermal issues, considering that all G5 systems thus far have some decently sized heatsinks just to keep the buggers at a reasonable temp. The G4 processors run much cooler.

Originally posted by rex138
    the mini mac looks ok but i wish it had a G5 however i was really disapointed when I heard that mac released a new compoter and it wasnt a G5 titanium I want a laptop but I want a G5 gimme that not a slower last generation smaller computer.
    Last generation you say? Not quite, the Mac Mini the the next generation of computers. What is last generation is peoples thinking, smaller more elegant machines is what we need not more powerful boxes that simply power through sloppy coding. The PC industry is years behind Apple in style, PCs are still in the industrial revolution of computing where the only style they bring is by glueing two sport bike ferrings together and calling it a case.

While I'm waiting for OS X Tiger to be packaged with the Mac Mini to purchase mine I'v also been looking at building a living room media centre around another Mini Mac as I can burn my DVD collection onto the drive as well as storing all my music. With easy access to Much Music via the TV I can then easily push a button to switch to my Mini Mac to buy music online. Wireless, small, effecient.

If I were to describe the Mac Mini it would take one word... "Genius"!

wee dont get me rong im a big mac fan I dont and wont own a pc. now with that said im not aginst smaller sleeker computers however it dose use a last generation processor G5 is the current generation chip G4 IS last generation. also I understand that the g5 is hard to cool but im sure theres a way to do it. i mean if you cant cool a G5 in a small aria then there will never be a G5 laptop and you know thats the next thing to come out. I just remember when the first G4s came out then right after that they made the cube wich was smaller and faster not just smaller with a G3 in it. actuialy if im not mistaken you could get a 800mgz cube so really the mini isnt that much better im sure you could just get a sonnet chip and upgrade an old cube. all im sayin is how long has it ben sence the cube has ben turmenated and macs new computer in that class is pretty much the same thing with a faster g4 chip in it and a better graphics card .come on.

If the G5 was to make its way into a Mac mini like system, it would have to first be tested on a laptop level. Apple has already stated that this would be the mother of all thermal issues to address, which is why their latest Powerbooks, and their upcoming ones will still use G4 processors.

As for the new Mac mini being 'next generation', it takes more than just the type of processor to really determine what Next Generation is. For example, to have a very nice, compact system that you can use as a home media centre, you would be looking at those home media boxes by HP or whatever running Windows XP media centre edition. The systems themselves are bulky and might as well be running as a desktop type PC rather than a media centre.

The Mac mini on the other hand is quite revolutionary considering its size. You look at the PC side of things, and you are looking at a Mini-ITX motherboard solution, in which case, they are all using Via processors running about 1GHz, and the board size is a bit bigger than what is offered in the Mac mini.

The mac mini not only offers a faster processor than the Via solutions, MHz to MHz wise, not to mention architectural differences, but it also gives you onboard Radeon 9200 graphics, which is more than any Mini-ITX system does. For the most part, Mini-ITX offers S3 graphics with an MPEG2 decoder... thats about it. The only advantage I see mini-itx having over the Mac mini is onboard surround sound support.

You have to look at it on the scale it was meant to be looked at it. It is quite revolutionary to have a system the size of the Mac mini, which you can use to hook up to your HDTV, listen to music with the visualizer, edit home videos, surf the internet, play DVDs, burn home videos to DVDs, all in the comfort of your living room, for the price it is being offered at. To me, this alone, processor aside, makes this system really Next Generation. This is an all in one home entertainment unit that you just happen to be able to use as a home PC. The first of its kind that can truly integrate into your home entertainment centre without having to custom mod your own case to work with mini-ITX.

It isn't a workstation, the processor is more than enough for a home PC.

I actually bought an ipod shuffle a few days after it came out ( the 1 gig model ) and i love it, cant get enough of it, i have a regular ipod (4g) as well, going to get a new photo ipod with 60 gigs soon after i buy a new digital camera ( thinking of upgrading to the new sony with 7 mp )

and as far as the mac mini goes, i plan on buying one , and i think it would be a great way for the world to get introduced to a mac, i used to have an imac g4 which i adored but i sold it to buy a laptop last year on ebay, but i sure did love that imac =X

im going to wait until april (osx 10.4 tiger should come out march 24th). I too wish it came with a g5 processor, but for the size of the thing, who can argue? with fedora core 4 test 1 coming out soon with better support for powerpc, i cant wait to get my mac mini and re-enter that magic land known as osx.

im hoping that by that time, the mini mac will have some nice accessories with it and i can take it with me on vacation and work on editing some home movies with my dv cam on it.

the only bad thing is its still going to cost around 1000 dollars to get a decent enough machine, (you need the 512 -$75) if your going to do dv editing you need a dvd burner (you could probly just ftp your files to your local pc and burn but bleh -$100) the wireless internet connection (if your going to hook this up outside or in your home theatre) (might as well get the bluetooth as you cannot install this card yourself so you get wifi i-net and bluetooth) -$100

and the super sexy wireless keyboard and mouse (i have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, but i know it would look terrible with my mac mini so for me this is a must buy =P)

add on the Apple DVI to Video Adapter so you can hook it up to a TV, and your a go, the PERFECT system, can edit your photos on vacation and even do some quick video editing all in your condo, as well as turn it into a portable dvd drive for your hotel room.

and im sure someone somewhere will make a nice screen you can use to attach your mini mac and bascially turn it into a mini laptop, among many other things, im sure you can end up spending 2-3 times the amount you spend on the system on accessories that will be must haves.

for my ipod i already use the belkin media recorder (transfer files from digital camera to ipod) itrip (to transmit mp3's from ipod to fm radio)

im going to buy an ibeam (like a mini flashlight and laser pointer for your ipod) and im goign to get an italk (to record lectures and voice memos)

not to mention all of the other add-ons you can get for your ipod, im sure the minimac will have as big of a following.

me and my mac

After reading the first page of this long thread i must reply with this rather personal reaction. Bare with me. Or not. You chose.

In reaction of the Jetster with his remark about replacing CHIPS....:

Yeah keep jankin' those chips and pieces out of those nondescrypt boxes PC's are - i kid you not. I'm getting the idea that PC owners are the same kind of people driving little japanese cars and spitting at the topnotch & well-designed automotives like alfa spider, jaguar S-series or spyker (although that's a pretty expensive piece of work).

Believe it or not: i bought this iMac special edition (grey translucent case, DVD-rom, G3 400MHz with 512 MB ram) back in 1998 (!) and even with it's outdated specs i'm still lovin' it. It didn't crash even once! MacOS 9 was a bit of a tricky system, but with MacOS X it is all very nice and productive. That's what's it all about, isn't it? I like to fire up my mac and work instead of tampering with motherboards, chips, ventilators and the like. All those guys out there fowling about mac's inferiourity are a bit of, well, simple.

i think my next mac is the mac mini - in overdrive.

Yeah keep jankin' those chips and pieces out of those nondescrypt boxes PC's are - i kid you not. I'm getting the idea that PC owners are the same kind of people driving little japanese cars and spitting at the topnotch & well-designed automotives like alfa spider, jaguar S-series or spyker (although that's a pretty expensive piece of work).
    So where do you drive this idea? Seriously, what if something does go wrong with my Mac outside the hard drive and memory? I am left to go straight to apple, and in most cases, give them my computer to fix for me. What if the processor burns out? Can't I just head to the local PC shop and pick up a new processor, or just replace it under warranty? Not really. The whole system has to go in, and I will be without a system indefinately until the part the shop ordered comes in.

So how does this equate to PC users being the equivalent of Japanese car owners? It doesn't. The Mac does have its flaws. The Mac is not the perfect system. It is nice, but not perfect, just like the PC.
    Believe it or not: i bought this iMac special edition (grey translucent case, DVD-rom, G3 400MHz with 512 MB ram) back in 1998 (!) and even with it's outdated specs i'm still lovin' it. It didn't crash even once! MacOS 9 was a bit of a tricky system, but with MacOS X it is all very nice and productive. That's what's it all about, isn't it? I like to fire up my mac and work instead of tampering with motherboards, chips, ventilators and the like. All those guys out there fowling about mac's inferiourity are a bit of, well, simple.
    I like to use my system too. At the same time, there are cases where I would like to get the best out of my system. Why would I need to tamper with processors and chips and such? I just install them and use it. Simple. If a part fails, replace it (under warranty sometimes). Most times, it is only a few hours out of your time to replace a faulty part, which does happen with Macs. I just had to replace the memory in my iMac because I kept getting memory exception errors. Mac isn't an inferior product. The mac is in a league of its own, and most peoples problems with it are legitimate. The Mac isn't the high and mighty god of the computing world. It isn't the Jaguar or Ferrari of cars. It is just another computer which happens to run a nice operating system. How nice an operating system is also subjective, and what you need will be dictated by the tools you use and the games you play.

Mac IS inferior in certain aspects. To some people it is inferior in the aspects that are most important to them. PC IS inferior in certain aspects as well. These aspects are what drives them to a Mac, but in my case, I have the best of all worlds. I have 2 Macs, and a high performance PC coming around the corner. I prefer the PC hands down for certain things, and I prefer the Mac hands down for certain things.

What we don't need around here is people evangelizing about how Mac is the greatest system ever and that reasons people prefer the PC are crap.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456