Need help for Impersonator. Work with Maya PLE?

I am trying to figure out the Impersonator for facial animation. I am a noob and am having trouble understanding the tutorial. I will read it several more times though. But I did read something that troubled me. It says “Maya Complete or Unlimited. The Impersonator tools do NOT work with the PLE, but you can skip this part if you want.” Well I only have the PLE Maya, so dose that mean that the Impersonator is useless to me? Does it mean there is no way I can make the facial bones in Maya PLE that will let me animate it with the Impersonator tools? I really hope there is a way around it because I would really like to learn to use it. Is anyone out there having any luck with the Impersonator? If so are you using it only for matinee, or also for in game animation. If in game is there a noticeable performance hit? I was also wondering if anyone has, or would consider making, an Impersonator tutorial for dummies?

Also I am having a problem. For the WhosOnFirst.ut4mod file. It says Run the installation, and make sure you install all of the files. But I double clicked it and it did not install, but it asked what I wanted to open it with, and I tried UT2004 but it gave me an error. Which is the same thing that happened to a mod game called Damnation that I recently tried to install. On the damnation thing if I right click on the Damnation_v2UT2004 Module it asked on top or the window “Install this UT2004 module”. But that does the same thing. So I am wondering if there is something wrong with my UT2004 folder. The game works fine and other mods too. Sorry to get a little off topic but it is relevant.

i don't think so unless they have released a new version sorry

the original version was for 3dsmax and maya complete

as for your 2nd problem try defragging your harddrive i had the same problem just after i installed the 3339 patch and defragging fixed it
    Last edited by the_Jester; 01-09-2005 at 08:56 PM.
    Aint that some ...

So let me see if I can understand this. I am a little fuzzy about the whole plug-in thing. Now does a plug-in mean that it allows two different programs to talk to each other that could not normally do so? By that I mean the ability to use something done/ made in one program, able to work in another, otherwise incompatible program? Or does it just make it easier for the transfer from one to the other, but not the only way? Because it seems like I can do something here. The Impersonator works with UEd, and Maya PLE works with UEd. So can I make my own facial bones with Maya, possibly have to name them the right things, and then assign the Impersonator stuff to them? There is also the Brock and Gorge models from the UTK3 movie. Can I take then out into Maya PLE and use their skeleton to make my own models and then bring them back to Ued? Then wouldn’t they be right for the Impersonator files to work? I believe they already are. So, if you can do all that, anyone mind giving me a step by step? And thank you for you quick response ja8t3d. I like your name :-P

a plugin extends the functionality of the program its added to

as for your example yes you could use it but you would be limited to the samples that are given in the impersonator mod pack so you couldn't use it to do female characters because you couldn't create the animations w/ the PLE version
    Aint that some ...

Ok so in my quest to understand this, why can’t I add my own facial animation to the Brock and Gorge guys and put that in the Impersonator program? I mean I know I can make new animation with it but is there anyway to but that in the Impersonator stuff? Sorry to keep pressing this, but I really want to do the face animation and lip- synching stuff. Also, there is a women that is lip-synching in the UT2k3 movie. So do I even need any other talking expressions then the ones that Brock and Gorge have? I mean I can animate the faces when they are not talking right? Plus I think I can animate the brow and eyes without effecting the lip-synching animation. So if I do that then at least I can do something. Although I really would like to be able to make them smile when they talk and whatnot. But it seems like maybe I could fake it by adding my own animation to move the mouth in spots that I could not use the Impersonator animation on. So I could get the results I need in a makeshift way.

You said, “a plugin extends the functionality of the program its added to.” I find that to be a little vague.

About the Damnation_v2UT2004 Module, I had a friend download it and it wouldn’t install for him either. Well maybe he has to defrag too, I have yet to try that. I was wondering if I needed to have some program to make it install. Maybe we are both missing it. Well here is a link. I would be nice if someone could try to install it and see if it works for them.

1st) the reason you cannot alter or create your own animations is that the PLE version will not allow you to export animations out the full verion of maya (complete or unlimited) will allow for this with the actorX plugin

2nd) quoting myself here "a plugin extends the functionality of the program its added to " : if you cannot move something from 1 program to another naturally (right out of the box so to speak) you need something to act as a go between a plugin is just that it is a code script or small program that "plugs into" a larger program to give that larger the ability to do what you want/need it to do

now with the exception of the 2 plugins that epic made for the PLE version of maya alias has disabled plugin functionality so that you are forced into buying the complete or unlimited versions

where did you download the module from and are you using a download manager?
    Last edited by the_Jester; 01-10-2005 at 04:50 AM.
    Aint that some ...

Oops, I forgot to give the link lol. Here
    http://www.damnationthegame.com/

I got it both at Fileshack and then tried Fileplanet with the same result. Not sure what a download manager is. Please explain.

Gee, I am totally heartbroken. After watching all those VTM’s I never got that I couldn’t bring in animation. They showed me how to animate talking to PLE users. Like how to get the guy to inter the car. I am so confused. What then is the point? All this time I thought I had the stuff to make my game. I can not afford to buy Maya. Especially, because I have never done this stuff before and don’t yet know how I will take to it. I thought I would see how I would do with it and if things go real well I would maybe buy it and get serious about it. I am so depressed. All this time I guess I was wasting. All this hope and planing gone. Wow this is devastating. I think I will just pretend that you are crazy and have a nice day. No offense intended just desperation. Thank you for making things clear and answering all my post. I have to take some time for this to sink in. I am sure I will have more questions. This really sucks for me.

try downloading it from file front i got it from there btw the file should be about 220 megabytes

get your self a copy of the book: Mastering Unreal Technology: The Art of Level Design

the isbn number to search for it on amazon is: 0672326922
    Aint that some ...

1st) the reason you cannot alter or create your own animations is that the PLE version will not allow you to export animations out the full verion of maya (complete or unlimited) will allow for this with the actorX plugin
    You can absolutely export animations with the PLE. The problem is not being able to export the animations from PLE. I believe the problem is that you need to get the skeleton with all the facial bones into the PLE to work with. I am not sure exactly what Wolfknightly is trying to do, but you don't need to use Maya or Max to create a lipsync animation if you are using one of the characters that come with the Impersonator tools. All the necessary files are there already. You really just need to use Impersonator Studio and then bring it into UnrealEd. You can follow the steps here to do this. If you are wanting to create new phonemes or use your own character, then you do need Maya or Max and it must be the commercial versions. Creating lipsyncs with Impersonator is pretty tricky and requires a lot of work to make them look good. All the necessary info is located in the help file. It just takes many reads to get it all.