Thread: MAYA to UED

MAYA to UED

After getting frustrated with this problem I gave up on my map for a bit, but now I'm determined to get it working!
    I think I've posted this problem here before but I couldn't find the old thread.

After duly following the maya workflow tutorial, I created a basic cube static mesh with a simple texture. However as you can see from the screens below, the scale and material attributes I've added in seem to do nothing!
    I know I can add in materials and scale the model once its inside UnrealEd, but I don't know how to scale the applied texture to match. Also, it'd be a damn sight easier to do all this in Maya before hand.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

For the textures not applying you have to load the texture pack in UED before you export the Maya model into UED.

if you don't want to rexport simply click in the material box of the smesh in the browser select your texture and click use
    visit my site:artellectual.com

Package is indeed loaded up, but still no textures when importing?

Thanks for the reply tho!

That workflow is for Maya PLE 4.5 and the UT2003 plugin. With the new plugin, the size of your mesh inside Maya is the same as in UnrealEd and the material will automatically be applied in UnrealEd assuming the texture used is already in UnrealEd. Using the scale tool has no effect when you export. You must use the transform attributes Scale settings before altering your primitive. If you need to scale your mesh up after making a lot of alterations, just select all the vertices and scale them to the size desired. For materials, the exporter just exports the name of the texture being used. UnrealEd searches for the texture to apply it to your mesh so you have to import the texture into UnrealEd before the mesh, unless the texture is an Unreal texture of course.

Ok thanks, thats solved the scaling problem!
    For this cube in particular I used one of the textures from the barren architecture package. I exported it out, converted the dds to tga like the tutorial said and then used it on my cube. Do I need to add the 'URMaterialName' extra attribute? As you can see from the screenshot I copied and pasted the texture package and name into the material attribute but still no textures?

Thanks guys!

Dangerous Noob

If the material is in UnrealEd already, it should be applied to your model when you import it. There is no need for any attributes in Maya. Make sure the texture is actually loaded at the time. When you start up UnrealEd not all packages are loaded and the entire contents are not loaded at times (use Edit->Load Entire Package). If you can see the texture in the browser and it doesn't apply to your mesh, you will just have to apply it yourself in the browser. It should work, though.

Adding an Attribute was for Maya PLEE 4.x, for 5 you just need to:

1) Using Hypershade(Window/Rendering Editor/Hypershade) Creat Material, then Create Texture(I'll assume from File)

2) Assign Material to Mesh/Model

3) To the right in the Attributes frame there should be 2 Tabs. Tab 1 being the name of your Material(Lambert, Blinn, etc), Tab2 should be called File(possibly with a number). Click on File and put the Textures name in the first text entry box("file").

Exporting to UEd should now automatically apply the Texture to the Mesh/Model. I usually don't bother doing all this, I just Assign the Texture in UEd.