Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

how will it be if alias reduces the cost of MAYA basic version to 500US$? (poll this)

hey now i think its the competing world and as softimage reduced it price line to 499 us dollars and thats an amazing pirce for an beginner........... u just tell me that how many can afford 499 us dollars and how many can 2000us dollars... i think even maya should release the basic versions like foundation and then advanced like SOFTIMAGE XSI
    If that is the case the tonns of people will buy the MAYA FOUNDATION version since EVEN softimage has got its advanced features and its even crossing maya in many cases and if softimage does then why cant maya.

what do u say and i think that selling maya for the price of 500 us dollars will make a huge market sales...what do u say...

those who want to get the MAYA ( basic version ) foundation version( if maya releases) for the price of 500us dollars they give reply....

Just reply for this and if possible the MAYA people look at this...

You know what happens when companies resort to bargain basement prices? They end up having to sell 3 to 4 times the current numbers of licenses just to maintain the same cash flow. So you end up with a large number of new users, but you have to support them with the same amount of resources you had to begin with. So what will suffer? Support or R&D or both? Dumping prices is IMO a sign of desperation for market share. If newbies want to learn there are PLE's. Save up your money, support the industry, and pay your dues.
    Last edited by Paul Holm; 01-08-2005 at 11:45 PM.
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

What would you remove from Maya to make a Basic Level Application.

Everything in Maya works together, deformers, constraints, bones,...
    You could do like Houdini and make a modeling package, a rendering package and an animation package. But why.
    When you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I'm looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know what can't be done.
    Henry Ford

Autodesk an alternative to Blender.
    Me

C'mon, 3D packages don't need to be cheaper! Heck, they're already extremely cheap. Get a loan, buy the software and go freelance. Even as a cheap, lousy, poor quality 3d artist, you will make a min of $50 an hour. Put in 1 lousy full time week. What do you have? You've just been paid the cost of buying Maya.
    <NelsonLaQuet1> isnt denmar rambow and sunshine happy land?

I'll have to agree with the rest and say that Maya doesn't really need to be any cheaper. It was only a couple years ago I believe that Maya Complete was $7000. Now I can get Maya Complete with Platinum support for less than the price of 3DS Max. Besides, what can you possibly strip from Maya to make a super basic package? Mental Ray? SubDs? Animation tools? I don't really like the idea. Maya, for what it is capable of, I think is priced more than fair.

yeh, maya has a fine price for what it has...i mean, you get a free version with an abeit-bad watermark, that has everything maya Complete has....you really cant strip anything out, cuse mostly everything works together

Mayas fine the way it is

Now 3dsmax on the other hand...
    Aint that some ...

Originally posted by dobe
    C'mon, 3D packages don't need to be cheaper! Heck, they're already extremely cheap. Get a loan, buy the software and go freelance. Even as a cheap, lousy, poor quality 3d artist, you will make a min of $50 an hour. Put in 1 lousy full time week. What do you have? You've just been paid the cost of buying Maya.
    Say wah... Dobe, you and me are pals, but I'm going to have to call bullpuppy on that one. $3500 to $7000 is the price of a good used car, not a software package.

I'm also quite skeptical of the support argument. You can can these companies and go begging for support, but it is pretty limited in my estimation. Gone are the days when...
    Last edited by neelz; 01-09-2005 at 04:42 AM.

davidaleon: The software *is* expensive for a hobbiest, yes. That's what PLEs are for. But for someone using it as a career, the software is not overpriced. I'd have to agree with Dobe.

I read as an aside in a tutorial from Al Alvarez that Maya v 1.5 cost 50k. A few days ago I had an e-mail from Alias offering a Europe-only student version of Maya Complete for £178. Too expensive? - I don't think so. But they really should do something about that watermark in the ple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast