View Poll Results: Linux would become more popular if they....

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • simplified their “distro” list. There are too many versions.

6 7.79%
  • added more wizards and walkthroughs for novice users.

12 15.58%
  • gained more support from software and game developers.

47 61.04%
  • didn’t suck so much.

8 10.39%
  • Other

4 5.19%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Question Linux would become more popular if they....

What do you think could help the Linux OS become more popular? I'm personally tuned off from them because of how sloppy and complicated their community is. Trying to find the right version with the right options is a chore. That's just my personal belief though, and a belief is not a fact.

edited: to add more detail and correct grammar
    Last edited by Cinematography; 01-08-2005 at 03:31 AM.

Very clear and easy directions on how to install... Although it's not that difficult, I've just had a problem with Fedora Core. heh
    Life is the ultimate videogame. How do you play it?
    ---

Pleas sign the petition to help bring the BEST indies-manga, Playgroundpop!, in AZ to your local comic book stores!

IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ, YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

Well i recently just donwloaded Fedora Core 3, and looking for video tutorial on it, found a little site with BuZZ php tutorials.

But i think if buZZ made a video tutorial on how to install the various types of files, very simple stuf, how to get around, workflow tips for 3d etc.

I would really be into these as i have ahd a recent virus that i know could be avoided if i had all my stuff on linux.
    site

insert witty comment here

Cinematography

It's very clear that you don't actually understand what linux is. Therefore you don't deserve to use it - stick with windows.

Simplified their distro list...their are too many versions:

You seem to be under the impression that 'Linux' is a company somewhere

There are many distros - that is because many people like to build systems on top of Linus Torvald's kernel - yes each distro uses the same kernel to build their system so essentially linux is linux.

and if there was ever one unified linux distro then users wouldn't have a choice of different features for different uses. now that would suck

added more wizards and walkthroughs for novice users.

Fedora has plenty of wizards...and if you use KDE as the desktop manager then it's like having one big wizard - also every (or most) application shipped with a linux system have very thorough manpages (or help documents)

gained more support from software and game developers.

This is your most sensible suggestion, but linux is already gaining a lot of support. you just need to know what you're looking for - most hardware companies are offering proprietary hardware drivers for linux on their official sites.

didn’t suck so much.

yeah, yeap....linux sucks

that's why developers love it, companies are switching to it...it continues to grow despite a growing number of people who want to knock it because they don't understand it.

What do you think could help the Linux OS become more popular? I'm personally tuned off from them because of how sloppy and complicated their community is. Trying to find the right version with the right options is a chore. That's just my personal belief though, and a belief is not a fact.
    As I have stated, there are many distros and each distro has its own community. generally users are very helpful and friendly but they hate newbies going in and telling them that linux sucks because of X, Y or Z.

again you seem to have the ideas that Linux is formed under one company because you continually refer to Linux as "they"

I personally don't think you should use linux...because you will need to learn a little scripting, or possibly even some C/C++.

I never want linux to reach the stage were it has to compromise it's functionality and power in order to appeal to a small market of non-programmers.

and that is my personal opinion.

(if you still want to try linux then get a bootable distro like knoppix or Sun Java Desktop - they don't need to be installed (so you should find it easy to get working) just pop in the cd and boot...but don't come back and complain about it)

also if you ever use linux and need help then check out the linux forums on 3dBuzz - we're never too busy to help

after reading stu's reply i voted "didnt suck so much" .... thank for clearing that out, stu
    Don't shoot the messenger

The only reason linux isn't THE only system is because there isn't enough software for it. If people switched to linux, we would have more developers, and therefore more people would use linux, etc.
    It's a cicle, people use windows therefore developers develop for windows (stronger user-base) therefore users use windows, etc.

Time to break that cicle!! I'm personally never buying something for windows again in my life.

gained more support from software and game developers.

if more programs could be used in linux more people would use it , or more people used it people would make software for it.
    im thinking about trying it sometime

jake.hall@gmail.com Got Xbox live? Add me. DuDeY109

I voted other, mainly because there needs to be a standard. Many companies don't go with Linux because it is harder to support with so many distros. Like Alias, they only support Redhat distros. I know there is a Linux Standards Base emerging, and it is a matter of time before it is going to be a part of most distros. I would like to see Alias support any distro that is LSB 2.0 certified or something like that, rather than saying what specific distro they will support.

Originally posted by stu_hacking

I never want linux to reach the stage were it has to compromise it's functionality and power in order to appeal to a small market of non-programmers.

The trouble is, that isn't a small market. Most of the computing world doesn't know how to programme.

The thing about Linux is, for home users especially, they have no need to switch to it. I can see why you might use it if you run a server or large corporate network or whatever, but there's no incentive for the majority of the market to make the switch. They (and I fall into this group) don't think it's worth the time and effort to switch to Linux when Windows does the job just fine. Also, I'd have to find new applications and learn how to use them (and pay for them?) to do jobs I can do with ease now. Plus Max doesn't work on Linux

I can imagine sometime in the future I'll end up using Linux, but probably not at home unless Microsoft really makes a mess of Windows - there's just no point at the moment.
    (Retired)

My only problem is the sofware support. Many of the programs I run do not run well or at all when you use linux (tried Wine).

I once tried having linux and windows on my machine but in the end I just wasn't using Linux enough so it was removed.

Now that I am playing with Max there is no point in even thinking about Linux.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast