Unhappy can't load textures into UnrealEd demo

I've just started going through the "Mastering Unreal Technology" book as a begginer and have loaded the UnrealEd program that came on the CD in the back of the book which appears to be a demo version. When I attempt to import textures from the chapter 3 tutorial the editor throws out an error, saying I can't import commercial textures into the free version. It then closes and returns me to desktop. Somebody else must also have had this probelm, please help. When I try to register or buy the product I am told that facility is not yet available.

First the UT2004/Level editing forum would be better place to post.
    I dont have the book but I think it comes with the Runtime engine which does allow all kinds of modding.
    Can you explain you steps?
    Did you make your texture a power of 2?
    What format is it in?
    Any other details would be good because I have never heard of this problem before.

Thanks John. I have the UnrealEngine2 Runtime which is free and for educational and non-commercial use (so it says) Right at the start of the 1st tutorial I subtract a cube brush and then set about texturing it. The files that come as default are in the .utx format. When I click on open package in the texture browser and browse to the drive with the CD in, I locate chapter 3 texture file which has the same file extension and when I click on it the editor starts to load the files but then stops and throws out the error message. It claims the files are of commercial intent. You suggested something about power of 2. How do I check that?

Originally posted by scaleman
    Thanks John. I have the UnrealEngine2 Runtime which is free and for educational and non-commercial use (so it says) Right at the start of the 1st tutorial I subtract a cube brush and then set about texturing it. The files that come as default are in the .utx format. When I click on open package in the texture browser and browse to the drive with the CD in, I locate chapter 3 texture file which has the same file extension and when I click on it the editor starts to load the files but then stops and throws out the error message. It claims the files are of commercial intent. You suggested something about power of 2. How do I check that?
    I understand now. You are trying to open a particular texture package.
    I thought you were trying to import a single custom home made texture that is why I asked about the deminsions.
    I am not sure why that texture package will not open but you may want to try copying it to the Runtime/Texture folder on your hard drive and then trying to open it. Runtime seems to prefer all new files be saved in its directories so maybe it is the same for opening them as well. Otherwise, I do not have a clue. Could be a texture pack for another Runtime version or for UT2004 that would cause the error.

yep you cannot open any ut2004 utx files in the runtime you have to create your own just hop over to the chapter on creating/importing your own textures
    Aint that some ...

Just after my last post I tried opening texture files from different chapters on the CD. Some worked perfectly and others threw out the error message. It would appear then that not all the files have exactly the same characteristics. I'll continue working on it and post if I find anything new. Thanks Scaleman

Re: can't load textures into UnrealEd demo

Originally posted by scaleman
    I've just started going through the "Mastering Unreal Technology" book as a begginer and have loaded the UnrealEd program that came on the CD in the back of the book which appears to be a demo version. When I attempt to import textures from the chapter 3 tutorial the editor throws out an error, saying I can't import commercial textures into the free version. It then closes and returns me to desktop. Somebody else must also have had this probelm, please help. When I try to register or buy the product I am told that facility is not yet available.
    I have had *exactly* the same problem with the Chapter 3 tutorial.
    Here is the error.

"You cannot use content created in the commercial version of the UnrealEngine2 Runtime with the free version. Please remove the commercial version content from your Runtime.

History: UPackage::Serialize <- LoadObject <- (Package Chapter3_tex.FrameWork 6934178==6934178/7030960 6934173 1) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::SafeExec <- (LOAD FILE="C:\Learning_Unreal\Chapter 03\Textures\Chapter3_tex.utx") <- UEditorEngine::SafeExec <- (OBJ LOAD FILE="C:\Learning_Unreal\Chapter 03\Textures\Chapter3_tex.utx") <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (OBJ LOAD FILE="C:\Learning_Unreal\Chapter 03\Textures\Chapter3_tex.utx").. <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- WBrowserTexture::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserMaster::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop
    "
    If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    David

try placing all of the texture static mesh packages into the proper directory in the unrealruntime directory
    Aint that some ...