Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    MD right now - hopefully someday, sunny FL!
    The new OS I bought was Windows XP SP2 OEM. I also tried my older Windows XP SP1 OEM, and it's the same crap.

Actually, I just recently got to see the "Windows XP starting up" logo and all. But then it had a fatal error and crashed my dreams to the ground. I'm still getting the blue screen of death.

EDIT: This is what I bought.

EDIT2: Hmmmm... doesn't sound like the exact situation, but doesn't look too different either.
    Last edited by Ambassador; 01-23-2005 at 04:44 PM.

Did you increase the voltage to your CPU and RAM?

I had an incident more than a year a go where I could not get Windows to install because of "disk corruption issues". It turned out that one of the sticks of ram was bad, and was causing the corruption. Everything that gets written to HD is filtered through the CPU and RAM.

I would first jack the voltage on these two elements to ensure that they are working as best they can. [1.575 on the CPU and 2.7 on the ram] Make sure you re-format on install. Don't try to install into a partition which has corruption in it.

If it persists, I would pull one stick of ram and install in single channel mode. If it happens again, switch to the other stick and try it again. The Ram problem is one of those part swaps you would never think of, but it can happen.

I will do the voltage, but I already checked out the ram and there seems to be no letup. I'm thinking that the drivers from the mobo were corrupt / incompatible to begin with.

EDIT: ok, I changed the voltage, but now I'm looking for some new drivers...

EDIT: ok, I installed the new drivers... I'm hoping no files are missing and I'll be on my way. Wish me luck!

EDIT3: Well it had some missing files again. But this time it got up to 100%. I'm not that excited because it has gotten passed the initial installing files sequence a couple of times already but just utterly fails in the next part.

EDIT4: There it goes again!!! piece of bullcrap malarki. And there I went too. I smashed my fist against the keyboard. It was very satisfying watching all the keys go flying everywhere. That's because I wanted to avoid utterly obliterating the case window.

I don't friggin get this crap and I'm about had it.
    Last edited by Ambassador; 01-23-2005 at 09:03 PM.

mebbe its a faulty harddrive or sata cable(s)?

are real good way to rule that out would be to install to an ide drive if you can then that would narrow he problem to your sata drive/interface
    Last edited by the_Jester; 01-23-2005 at 09:36 PM.
    Aint that some ...

Pull one stick of ram and try it again in single channel mode. If it fails, switch sticks. I'm telling ya, this could be the memory corruption thing again. It could also be the hard drive, but you should check the memory issue first.

Yeah I already checked the RAM. I wish I had an IDE drive with me. I threw away my older 20GB drive a few weeks ago.

I could probably use my OLD OLD OLD OLD Compaq drive. It's like 5GB though.

I will try changing the SATA cable tonight when I get back from work. Then I will try the older HD. I honestly just think it's a hardware issue.

I know it's not a software issue because both of my Windows XP CD's do the same thing. I think it's the HD... I really do. I'm going to try to ask somebody at my job today if they know someone with absolute knowledge on computers and see if I could talk to them to get more feedback.

EDIT: I spoke to one of the guys I work with and he knows a bit about computers. He was wondering if one of my components was not compatible with Windows XP. He says he has a utility that will check to see if any of the parts are compatible with XP, but it has to run once the machine is actually working.

My real question is... if it doesn't work with XP, why in pray tell would it work with 2000?
    Whatever, I'll try to get more feedback.
    Last edited by Ambassador; 01-24-2005 at 11:13 AM.

The odds of one of those parts being incompadible with XP is basically slim and none. Everybody makes just about everything compadible with XP. You would cut off 85% of the market if you didn't. If were an Apple part, maybe. With the list you have, I doubt it seriously.

We're at the point now where it has to be limited to one of three factors:

(1) Bad ram
    (2) Bad HD
    (3) Bad DVD

Something in that circuit has to be failing.

Originally posted by davidaleon
    The odds of one of those parts being incompadible with XP is basically slim and none. Everybody makes just about everything compadible with XP. You would cut off 85% of the market if you didn't. If were an Apple part, maybe. With the list you have, I doubt it seriously.

We're at the point now where it has to be limited to one of three factors:

(1) Bad ram
    (2) Bad HD
    (3) Bad DVD

Something in that circuit has to be failing.
    I agree here.

I have yet to try any SATA drives and it seems that there is too many issues with them right now... I'm still old fasion IDE at home and IDE RAID at work

Ask as friend and see if they have an old extra HD to try.

Sorry do not know if you said this already but make sure in the bios that your FSB is set to 200, DRAM is a 1:1 or 200Mhz and your HyperTransport is set to 4x.

The problem sounds so much like a ram issue.
    Last edited by LordBanshee; 01-24-2005 at 04:15 PM.

isolate the hd first. try that old old compaq hdd. if the problem persists, then at least you know it's not your hdd.

I verified it is NOT my HD. I used my old Compaq 2 GB IDE drive and it did the SAME THING. So now it's down to either my DVD-drive or my RAM. A lot of other people keep thinking its a RAM issue. I'm beginning to believe them. I'm trying to get memtest to see if I can run it on my new PC, but the stupid thing is barely big enough to fit on a floppy disk.

I also tried my Windows 2000 disk and the same stuff happens. I'm going to try memtest, and putting THIS computer's DVD-drive in my new PC to see what happens.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast