Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    MD right now - hopefully someday, sunny FL!
    It's F6, and I did that, but when I try to install the drivers from the disk I made with the Asus CD-rom, it says the files are corrupted. I tried different floppy disks too.

As far as enabling SATA, the thing is that the BIOS recognizes the drive perfectly, and knows it's not a RAID array setup. It even tells me how many gigs the thing has. I honestly don't think the manual has something for that, because the last page in the manual shows how to install SATA drives (in a RAID configuration). I don't think they show how to do one single HD.

Whatever, I'll try that. If nothing works I'm calling Asus tomorrow.

did you try installing from the cd?
    Aint that some ...

Yeah. The CD starts and all, but it just doesn't want to work correctly. When it asks me for the 3rd party drivers, it says that the drivers are corrupt. So then when I let the installation go normally without installing the SATA drivers, it starts missing files and then gives me the blue screen of death.

Hey I want you guys to know I'm angry at this garbage can - not you guys. I hope you guys don't get the wrong idea about the direction of my anger! I know you guys are trying your best to help me, so I don't have anything against you!

EDIT: Ok, I corrected some issues, and I played around with the BIOS. I also had the DVD rom set to master, so that may have had something to do with it. I set the jumpers to master when the DVD drive didn't start. But I believe I corrected it in the BIOS, so I set it back to slave. I'm hoping this windows XP thing works now. I found a set of "working" drivers. I said "working" because they're not corrupted, and might look like the right ones. I had to hunt for them on the Asus motherboard CD.

Ok, here we go... the Winblows XP found a missing file... Oh God help me.... I'm sure I know what it's going to do now. It's going to say it's got a bunch of missing files and it will just give me the blue screen of death as usual. I'm going to see if I can contact Asus today. This has gotten past the point of rediculousness.
    Last edited by Ambassador; 01-23-2005 at 01:48 PM.

kay so you tried installing the satat from bothe a floppy and the cdrom that came w/ either the sata drive(s) or motherboard. check?
    and youtried d/l'ing new ones from the website - right?

my only other suggestion would be to try installing a standard ata/ide drive and use that as the c: drive
    Aint that some ...

I tried making the Windows CD work, but it keeps giving me errors despite that I just installed the drivers I could. I never tried booting from the floppy because I don't need to. I don't see why I should. It asks me for the floppy when I try to setup windows installer. But I don't see how I will use a floppy to boot if I cant even get windows setup.

Also, as far as booting from the CD-rom, yes it works - I can get into the Asus motherboard CD, and I could get into the Windows XP setup. That works, but I don't see how I am able to "boot up" from any of those if I don't have an OS on there yet.

I don't know what's going on, but do you think it might be the hard drive?

Also, if Asus doesn't help me (which it doesn't seem they will since I've been on hold for about half an hour already), then I will have to take it to a PC repair shop. This is rediculous... I shouldn't have to do this bullcrap.

i really have no experience w/ sata hdds so i can't help you out
    it said the drivers are corrupt? as in the sata drivers that came with your mobo, right? i have no idea myself, but good luck

Yeah, but I think I got the right set to work. Winblows XP doesn't work after that though.

no i think the sata drivers that you need to load during the installation of XP are either bad "right out of the box " or the harddrive is

and i don't suggest booting from the floppy just installing the sata drivers from the floppy

who made the sata harddrive you have?

also until windows supports sata which won't happen until XP's replacement OS is finally released this is gonna be a pain

now just to get everything set in my mind this is what you are doing:

1) got your windows XP disk in the dvd/cd drive with that set as the 1st boot device
    2) turn on the computer and you start the winXP install
    3) you get to the point in the install process where it tells you to hit f6 to install the sata drivers and this is when you get an error message saying that the drivers are corrupt?
    Last edited by the_Jester; 01-23-2005 at 02:52 PM.
    Aint that some ...

Right... but the hangup now is not at the drivers since I got the drivers to work (maybe the wrong drivers, but whatever). Anyhow, now what's happening is that Windows XP is not installing certain files during the setup. It keeps increasing the number of files that are missing, and then it gives me the blue screen of death.

Okay, I think I found something important. I downloaded the Asus manual and in section 5.1 it clearly states that this board supports WIndows XP SP2 and higher. Oooopps...

I don't know if Microsoft is shipping a complete OEM XP SP2 disk yet from the factory. They might be, but only the latest purchasers of the system will have it. Do you have an SP1a disk? Do you have an SP2 disk? If you have an SP1a disk it is entirely possible to "Slip stream" SP2 into that disk and make a new bootable CD for installation.

I know Clay did this when he set up his system. Clay was probably the first non-Microsoft guy in the world to figure out how to slipstream SP2, he had it done within a day or two after SP2 shipped. I know he used that disk to install his system. [He bought a COA sticker for $90]

This would be a logical expanation for why XP can now install off of SATA directly, and why your system is complaining about a bunch of missing files. If you slipstream SP2, you might get over the hump.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast