Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I just remembered the Myst series, I only played the first but I heard the others were pretty good. I may pick up a copy.

Originally posted by DarkViper338
    At the same time, I feel that parents should be aware of whether or not their children are capable of handling that level of violence without some sort of nasty side effect. I wouldn't let my (theoretical) five-year-old play Doom 3, but if I had a mature 15 year old, I don't think I'd have much of a problem. This mindset, however, comes from the fact that I was always one of those "older-than-his-years" kind of kids. It's my humble opinion that if a parent feels like their child can handle such things as excessively violent video games, and if the parent is okay with them being in the house, that they should consider letting the child get the game, if for no other reason than to allow them an experience. In my particular situation, we (my brothers and I) were allowed to have such games, though we were kindly asked not to play them anywhere within eye or earshot of my mom or dad.
    i know exactly what you mean zak, i also have been on of those older-than-his-years type people,[then again, most people my age in this town act younger-than-their-years..sad] but anyways my parents are like that too, i check with them to see if they approve of it, and they have always approved...i mean, they know that i know that shooting people in a game is diffrent than real life, but then again, my parents have never owned a gun, they have never went hunting even, they've ben teaching me and my sister the diffrence between reality, and games/'make-belive' since we were born...i mean, hell, ive gotten my dad addicted to most of the FPS games i own[all unreal-universe games, the Hitman series, etc...]

kinda sad when the industry is so soaked with blood we can't come up with a few serious good "clean" games, hm?

a few from my collection, some are a bit old, but here goes:
    Freespace/Freespace 2 (2 was recently re-released)
    Mechwarrior 4: Vengence, Black Knight, Mercenaries (i thought it killed the francise, but other people love it more than the others)
    Shadow Ops: Red Mercury (teen rating, no excessive gore, but it does involve killing humans as your objectives)
    Splinter Cell games
    Ghost Recon (not so much puzzle aspects though)
    Tomb Raider (although i haven't played after 3, so i can't honestly recommend them)

less violent "violent games"
    Far Cry (you pretty much only kill people, apart from a few others, but at least there isn't a lot of "gore", though i may have been desensitized)
    Unreal 2: has an option for less gore, plus there isn't really splattering
    Unreal Tournament 2004: turn off the gore, but there are "splatters"

finally, if you have a Playstation 2, there are plenty of options there, and be sure to check out Katamari Damacy. quirky, humourous, and brightly colored, but it's a genuinely creative game, and is truly, pun intended, a ball.

most of my games are more violent, but i do share sentiment with some people that we need to get away from just wanton violence if the industry is going to mature.

i would advise you to check out fileplanet or a similar site, and download a few demos to see if you like them.

good luck.

Originally posted by Gollum15
    I just remembered the Myst series, I only played the first but I heard the others were pretty good. I may pick up a copy.
    I only played Myst 4, the latest one, but I loved it. It's slow paced though, but oh so beautiful.
    Technical Artist at LuGus Studios
    www.lugus-studios.be

nielsVaes.be

munky402

Thanks, I'm thinking of maybe a splinter cell (I belive the latest one is Pandora Tomorrow). Between that, Myst, and UT2004 I should be good for awhile.

neelz

I've only played the first (awhile ago) so I want to get the second and third before I move on to the fourth because I love the plot and I want to follow it through.

If you haven't played them, the MDK games are really fun, and at least I don't remember any human enemy on it (all of them were weird robot things)... and they're quite funny (specially the decoy dummy)..
    "If you put together all the work I did on "Shrek", I would say I have spent more time promoting it in the last three days than I did actually working on it... When you compare that to the amount of work that the animators and producers put into it, I’m embarrassed to get all the attention and praise for it." - JOHN LITHGOW
    Visit my webpage

Originally posted by LocoMan
    If you haven't played them, the MDK games are really fun, and at least I don't remember any human enemy on it (all of them were weird robot things)... and they're quite funny (specially the decoy dummy)..
    Hmm, looks cool. I'm DL a demo now. Thanks

yeah, i became violent as a kid only because of movies. Movies actually put a hard impact on kids and peoples imaginations more than a video game.

In a game it's a different setting. Your the one doing the work that has to be done. A movie show's you what's brought or done in life. Just in a senario that drawls you in. While a game has something that you "know" you cannot do. And if done in real life in movies it shows you exactly what the results will turn out.

The parent issue i do understand because i have the same type of mom. Though because i am an adult now she still has her boundries to me and my media of entertainment. Though i usually buy the games when she is not around or wear the baggy clothing that could not make a difference to wether how i could be seen with a game in my pants and make my stomach look no different.

Now it's just buy them and play them without being parienoid to hit " alt, tab" everytime i hear someone come near the door.

You can do the same thing i did. But the chances of being caught will just make her restrict you from them until your 18 or older.

hey there is also Neverwinter Nights

and w/ the just released "Platinum Ed" you get everything right out of the box
    Aint that some ...

honestly, i'm an advocate of the ratings. call me a prude, wuss, whatever, but i think the ratings are there for a reason, and people shouldn't play them if they don't meet the age requirements. i don't have kids, but i do have a 5-year old nephew, and i try to keep my games and movies away from him for just that reason. they haven't proven videogames are harmful, no matter what they say, but they also haven't proven they're *not* harmful either.

in fact, 85% of games sold in 2003 were rated "Everyone" or "Teen", and 89% of games rated by ESRB were rated as such. i guess all my yakking here is a bit of case of "do as a say, not as i do" as most of my games are in fact mature rated, but then i'm also a legal adult, and have been for a few years. and when i wasn't old enough to buy them, my parents would approve games i could buy. i was not able to buy several games, or games that weren't approved that i did buy, my parents threw away.

i could go on for ages about this, so long story short, there's plenty of games to play that aren't rated mature. check out www.esrb.org and www.theesa.com for some statistics to that end.

hope this ranting helps someone.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast