Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by cresswga
    If that doesnt work - just be careful to pick when you play
    Perfect, or keep your door open so you may see her approaching and make sure to get a head set so she cant hear the zombies "RWAAAR"ing. Also have a finger on your minimize button, load up context with some code in the background so that will show when you minimize. Works like a charm

Maybe you could use one of these?...
    "If you put together all the work I did on "Shrek", I would say I have spent more time promoting it in the last three days than I did actually working on it... When you compare that to the amount of work that the animators and producers put into it, I’m embarrassed to get all the attention and praise for it." - JOHN LITHGOW
    Visit my webpage

Originally posted by LocoMan
    Maybe you could use one of these?...
    Ah that would have saved me a few times at work

I really can't understand that there are still parents out there that make such big a deal of it. I mean... yeah you shoot a zombie and their intestines stick to the wall. But it's not like you're going to do it in real life.

Maybe the Chronicles of Riddick could be something you can play. It has blood though, and rather realistic blood, but no intestines flying around.

Can I ask WHY your mother has a problem with the fact that you play a bloody gore game?
    Technical Artist at LuGus Studios
    www.lugus-studios.be

nielsVaes.be

neelz I have to disagree with you here. It is her decision. Guys I amy not agree with her but I do respect her. Atleast she is the one making the decision, she is taking responsibility. This is how it should be.

At the moment parents want the goverment to decide what is right for my kid. They want no responsibility. I rather have parents making decisions on there own then relying on goverment to decide for them and for me.

Agree or disagree with her but have some respect.

Edit: Leaving my post as I wrote but with this added.

Sorry neelz I sorta read your post the wrong way. Your argument is about how parents to offense to blood and gore so my post really shouldn't be directed at you. My argument overall still stands though.

It's your right to disagree, I guess I was just raised different. They only time I had my mom object to something was when me and my cousin were watching a movie that had a lot of naked wrestling around in it Other than that I never had a problem.

Anyway, I thought of another game that might suit your needs: Joint Operations. There's a new expansion pack out there but you can still play the normal game with the expansion pack, so it's not like the older servers have no games running on them.
    There's no blood in this game whatsoever. Maybe a small puff or redness when you get shot, or shoot someone, but that happens rarely. The only "problem" with this game is that it's realistic. Realistic weapons and vehicles, and you're not shooting aliens but real people. Maybe your mother has a problem with that too... I don't know. But to me it feels like a "clean" game. Black Hawk Down uses the same engine, and is therefor also "clean".
    Joint Ops is online only (but it's free) and BHD is aimed at single player.
    Technical Artist at LuGus Studios
    www.lugus-studios.be

nielsVaes.be

Originally posted by FACES OF DEATH
    You guys need to "LEARN" the difference between the term "Gore" and "Blood". Gore is when you remove something that belongs to a living thing (i.e , Head, hands, arms, legs, torso ect,)

Blood is when blood comes out. And splats or just drizzles out of the body. Gore removing a body part ect, in that catagorey.

Medal of honor is fine, Doom 3 no.
    Medal of honor = blood.
    Far Cry = Blood.
    STALKER = Blood & Gore.
    Doom 3 = Blood and GORE.
    Half life 2 = Blood and Some gore.

Just to clarify it up because some people tell me sure i don't have the best spelling english grammer ect, but they need to learn the difference between meanings of two things that are completely different.
    For the record, a post like this from a member named "FACES OF DEATH" is not just a little frightening...

neelz and benmcl - As for parental control, I'm all for it. I'm sick to death of parents blaming some video game or rock star when their kid does something awful like steal Grandpa's magnum and starts making potholes in their classmates.

First and foremost, I think a parent has the right to control the kind of stuff that goes on in their household. If my folks didn't want a game like Doom 3 in the house, it simply wasn't brought in; not because there was some sort of oppressive dictatorship from parent to child (though that's not always a bad thing either), but because you've gotta respect your folks enough to follow along with simple moral decisions like that, like it or not.

At the same time, I feel that parents should be aware of whether or not their children are capable of handling that level of violence without some sort of nasty side effect. I wouldn't let my (theoretical) five-year-old play Doom 3, but if I had a mature 15 year old, I don't think I'd have much of a problem. This mindset, however, comes from the fact that I was always one of those "older-than-his-years" kind of kids. It's my humble opinion that if a parent feels like their child can handle such things as excessively violent video games, and if the parent is okay with them being in the house, that they should consider letting the child get the game, if for no other reason than to allow them an experience. In my particular situation, we (my brothers and I) were allowed to have such games, though we were kindly asked not to play them anywhere within eye or earshot of my mom or dad.

(I acknowledge that this is the opinion of someone who has never had children, and that all sorts of things change when that happens. If [God forbid] I should ever end up a... gulp... parent, all of these opinions might change.)

Zak
    Last edited by Zak; 01-04-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Wow, thanks for the responces.

FACES OF DEATH

Thanks for your post, because there is a difference between some blood and acuall gore. That difference is probably my only hope.

neelz

She knows that game violence does not effect the real world (I have UT2004 only I have to turn off the gore) . Its not that she thinks its horrable but she doesn't want stuff like that in her house. Her question is, why do you have to play a game soked in gore? I'm sure there are plenty of better games to play.

Also, thanks in your second post for the game suggestions, I'll look into them.

benmcl

Yeah, I have to say I agree with you, some parents may seem a bit strict, but I respect her judgment and will (well I don't realy have a choice anyways) obey her.

Zak

I agree with you about the maturity level of the kid deturmaning what is and what isn't allowed. I am considered by alot of people who know me to be more mature than most other kids my age, I think she probably would let me play the game (even though she doesn't like it), but I have a big family and a lot of younger kids runing around. And my computer is in a public place, so my little sister at age four would be exposed to that. And I don't want that any more than my mom does.

Spendi

LOL! The funny thing is, my mom wouldn't mind if I played those.

If you are looking for a fun game with lots of puzzles, don't laugh, the game you want is:

Curious George's Downtown Adventure.

I don't know if its still selling, but you might be able to find it on Ebay.

Its a kids game, but when i was working at Vivendi, everyone (adults) loved it. We spent as much time playing this game as we did LOTR.

Great physics puzzles!

G.D.
    Happy to be in the Maya Fundementals Class. Worth the wait, the effort, and more than worth the money. I've done a lot of VTMs; here and outside of 3dBuzz. I can say without a doubt that these VTMs are the best that I've seen. Great Job Guys, and Thank You!

Click here to check out DomeGI. Global Illumination for Maya made easy

A MOD Team I am on.

Erm,

Well, I don't think my mom is that strict. She has no problem with games like UT2004 (so long as the gore setting is set to off). Its ok to have a puff of blood or a little gore. Just not as much as HL2.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast