Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

buying a new computer, need help!

hello...im getting a new pc and need some help choosing the specs.....i am thinking of an AMD 64 chip and a good video card and a gig of ram....im unshure of the rest and if someone could give me a hand it would be awsome...thanks

what do you want to use it for?

You will find all the information on building a 64 bit Pc here.
    http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/forumd...?s=&forumid=94
    Scott Moncrieff: Graduate: HND Interactive Multimedia Creation
    Maxon Cinema 4D R11.5 XL + Mograph 2 + Hair |Adobe Production Studio/Photoshop CS6

Don't forget a Dual Layered DVD writer for those backups....
    Max Fundementals Student..

IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ, YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

Originally posted by ianlloyd100
    Don't forget a Dual Layered DVD writer for those backups....
    Sure... backups

The best advice I can give you is to have enough RAM in there. A gigabyte seems to be the standard nowadays, so get that at least.
    Technical Artist at LuGus Studios
    www.lugus-studios.be

nielsVaes.be

One thing that I do when buying anything now is to search for customer reviews. For each component that you decide on Google it for reviews. You may be surprised at what you find about some items.
    *> If my post was helpful you could add to my Reputation by clicking the Icon. Thanks!!!! <*

Somewhere in the State of Misery A.K.A. Missouri
    put off buying for as long as possible.... specs that are now top of the line will be average next year... This is especially relevant this year since in 2005 or 2006 there's going to be a LOT of new computer advances... blue laser will probably go in to mass production, alongside windows longhorn, pci express and who knows what else...
    My art blog: http://www.jeffthomannsart.blogspot.com

My Entropia Universe Item Selling Blog: http://www.mariasgoods.blogspot.com

I seem to remember similar claims about this year and new technology. And they'll be those claims next year with new technology. Put off buying for as long as possible, I agree. But be careful that you don't end up waiting indefinately.

Here's the best advice I can offer:

1. You don't need to put off buying a computer, there is no need to wait.
    There will ALWAYS be advances in technology, but the newest and best will (almost) always cost the most.
    The trick is to buy what was newest and best 6 to 12 months ago.
    That's the way to get good quality components without paying top-dollar.

2. Make sure you get a case with enough expansion room for the future. Beware of cases that include power supplies. Typically these power supplies are lower quality, and you do not want a sub-standard PS.
    If the case you want includes a PS, make sure it is made by Antec or a similarly reputable manufacturer. If not, ditch the included PS and buy a better one.

3. Spend a bit more and get a larger hard drive. I bought a 120Gb drive and it was nearly full a few months later.

4. When buying your video card, consider what you will be using it for (primarily).
    If you are a gamer, you'll want a card with good refresh rates, but that is not as important if you simply want to do graphics and 3D rendering.
    I bought an ATI Fire-GL card, as the drivers are tailored for graphic and 3D design... but I am not a gamer, so this works great for me.

5. Check out NewEgg.com
    You can get components there at good prices, and the service is fast and reliable.

I hope this helps some.

I spent the best part of a year and a half waiting to upgrade to a new pc and am happy with what i have got.
    There is nothing i cant do,and i can play the latest demanding games really well.
    Rendering speed has improved a great deal but it's hardly surprising since i upgraded from an Athlon 750 thats 4 years old and dying slowly.
    4 years with a 15 " Crt and now i have a (liquidated, ie much cheaper stock) 21" Flatscreen CRT thats perfect for games and 3d design.
    I could have waited another 6 months to a year but i wanted it NOW and i dont care what new developments are going to surface in the future.
    If you dont have a dying pc and can play all the latest games maybe at reduced settings then you can afford to wait a while for advancements.
    I waited a year for the 64 Bit Processor on a more upgradable 939 motherboard and a decent spec pc.
    Technology advances at a rate where it will cost you a fortune to keep up. But there is no point keeping up if you have somthing that does what you need it to do in the fiirst place.
    Scott Moncrieff: Graduate: HND Interactive Multimedia Creation
    Maxon Cinema 4D R11.5 XL + Mograph 2 + Hair |Adobe Production Studio/Photoshop CS6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast