Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I agree with you, Gazzaden. An earthquake is unpredictable (as of now, anyway), but a tsunami is VERY predictable. With a subduction event like this one, where one plate dives violently downward underneath another, a tsunami is definite. Something as simple as a civil defense siren could let people know to get to high ground as quickly as possible. Even if, as they say, tsunamis are rare in the Inidan Ocean, there just needs to be one to cause innumerable grief.

Thank you, BTW, BentSea. You speak for us all.

but no civil defense siren, cos tsunami ever heppen befor now

In August 1977 a large earthquake in the Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia generated a destructive tsunami which killed hundreds of people on Lombok and Sumbawa Islands along the eastern side of the Indian Ocean, so there HAVE been tsunamis there before, just not with the frequency of places like Japan or Alaska.

Maybe this will mobilize the powers that be to get something like this in place... even if these only happen every 30 years or so, it's SO worth the effort.

well now Malaysia is geting help from Japan

Originally posted by Revliss
    well now Malaysia is geting help from Japan
    Can't be too long before theyre getting help from just about everyone.
    I like to fall down, it gives me the rewarding feeling of standing back up again....

GET A free Mac Mini Don't forget to read everything they send you and to sign up for one of the offers in order to complete your memberships.

i have relatives who are at bangkok right now but i just heard that they're okay.

i also have a friend who was at phuket. they were lucky enough to have a car problem that they had to check in at a hotel instead of camping out at the beach during the night of the tsunami's arrival.

Re: Very sad

Originally posted by Gazzaden
    If only they could have gotten a warning out, the wave took 2 hours to reach Sri Lanka, they could have evacuated the coast in that time.
    While I was in the waiting room of the hospital today, I saw that the death estimates had gone from 9600 to 23000 and rising. Plus, there was jaw-dropping footage taken by tourists that were in those areas (1 group on top of the hotel they were staying in).

I spent a year in Jakarta in 1983, and I've seen Tailand, and the Phillipines. I know the way the houses of the poor are constructed in those areas, and the density of the population. In spite of the mind-boggling death toll, believe me it could have easily been double. Still, way too much to wrap a person's brain around as it is.

According to CNN, although the Pacific Rim nations have a tsunami warning system, the countries around the Indian Ocean lack the infrastuture to impliment that kind of warning system. Also, they spoke of the difficulties in getting the warnings out to, and evacuating the more impoverished and remote areas of those countries.

Full story:
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

Everyone here needs to help out with the relief agencies. Also get the word out to your friends. I don't care if you give to the Red Cross, or Doctors Without Borders, or some other agencey, we can all do something... just like we did after 911. After all, this kind of disaster could happen to us too.

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/...gatsunami.html

yep need help on cleaning,alot of

Ruralmyth is a victim

Hi,

I have some bad news I'm afraid -- a fellow member of 3D Buzz and a good friend of mine was killed (we think) in Sri Lanka.

Ruralmyth was in Galle in Sri Lanka with his wife and kids over Christmas. I got word today that Keera and the kids are alright but James (Ruralmyth) was lost I don't know anything more than this at the moment. Keera is in a terrible state and Ruralmyth's parents are trying to see if they can travel to Sri Lanka, but that's proving difficult (they're in Ireland). Its an absolute mess, Keera is really upset and to be honest we can't really believe it here in Australia. We don't even know if his body has been recovered, and wonder if he could have somehow survived and is trying to find his family. We can only hope I think.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there were people here who thought well of James.

--Kram

Oh, man, no! This is terrible. But in a chaos like that it is easy to get lost, so I'm sure there is still hope.
    The last estimate I heard this morning was 55,000 people who may be dead.................
    Andy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast