Thread: Help me pls

Help me pls

Hi

I have XP operating system with an Ati Radeon 9600 256 video ddram card, and in Max or other application no problem, runs smooth, but yesterday when my niece came to play, I have discovered that when I started the game I have get a blue screen error message. The same on Winamp, when I run visualization, is ok, but in full screen XP crash. I have tryed testing the memory-- is ok, for graphic card I have run 3D mark, and was ok. I have Directx 9c, and the latest driver for Ati. Should I formatt all? Is this a software problem?

The blue screen say:

A problem was detected and Windows has been shut down..... Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable driver or checkf for a driver update. Try changing video adapter, check Bios updates. Disable BIOS memory such as caching or shadowing.

STOP: 0x0000008E(0xc0000005, 0x00000137, 0x15fbb0cc8, ..

The number are almost exact

Do you know some good hardware tests under XP?

Thanks in advance
    Adrian Tiba

blue screen is mostly from hardware failure...umm maybe ur cpu over heating ? or ur ram stick bad ? u should check that too
    Last edited by SurgiKal; 12-24-2004 at 05:42 PM.

You can do a search (google or right in Microsofts web site) and you will get the information on what that Stop error is exactly and how to fix it. Do a search for "STOP: 0x0000008E" and you should get some info.

Thanks for tips. I think I have found the problem. I have installed the PC Mark 2004 hardware tester, and the memory was ok, but I have received the blue screen again when I have tested the video card. I guess this was the problem, unfortunately for my pocket
    Adrian Tiba

If you have an antivirus, run it immediately.

You need to be VERY careful when you get an error message like the one you saw. The series of numbers you're looking at is a location in memory. In essence, the computer is telling you that it stopped reading information and that series of numbers is just telling you exactly where you stopped (very handy information... that is if you happen to be a systems engineer and know how to do diagnostics on the component level of your circut board).

An error like this can be, and usually is, a hardware failure (SurgiKal was correct to point you in that direction).

There are several things that can cause your hardware to fail or malfunction though;

1). One thing can be a computer virus that has damaged system files to the point that Windows can no longer correctly process it's commands. - Run an antivirus if you have one.

2). Another thing that can cause this sort of error is similar to the damage caused from a virus. Do you have an Operating system that was upgraded from an older version of Windows? If you do and if you upgraded due to problems on the prior system, there could be corrupt entries in the Windows Registry that are making the system unstable. If this is the problem, Save all your data, reformat and reinstall the OS.

3). The third major thing could be a simple hardware failure, like SurgiKal suggested. If the Memory tests Okay and the Video Card tests bad, try the card in another machine if you can. If you have no problems there, reinstall the latest version of DirectX, uninstall your graphics card drivers, reboot and reinstall the drivers.

If the driver became corrupt, you should get errors. If the card is totally fried, you should get nothing but a POST error. DirectX controls how the Hardware and the OS interface, so at least give that a try before you have to shell out a mint to buy a new graphics card.

Hope that helps in the analysis.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12-24-2004 at 06:41 PM.

I had a similar Stop error in the past and it was due to the latest SBLive! sound drivers conflicting with the latest nVidia video drivers ( the latest back then). The blue screen occured randomly so it was hard to pin point the cause. I only found out when I asked at my local computer store and the guy said that he had the same problem. Once Creative updated their drivers for WinXP, I stopped getting the blue screen. People kept telling me that my card or memory was fried and they weren't. It was the drivers conflicting for memory (or something like that). Before throwing out the card, I would test it on another machine if you can.

Why not try the previous ATI drivers that you had working properly? Maybe the latest ones don't work well on your system. I had an ATI card for awhile and I kept getting the blue screen while playing Thief Deadly Shadows with ATI's latest drivers (non beta). I installed the latest Beta drivers and all was fine.

A friend of mine used to tell me how his computer used to get messed up after their kids would be on it. A lot of young kids (pre-teens) seem to click buttons without reading what they do. So, maybe you did get a virus; so, a full virus scan of your hard drive wouldn't hurt.

Good luck.

Thanks for sugesstions. I tryed playing the game even with the Ati oldest driver, recognized by the operating system, even with the Ati Catalyst 4.6, and with the 4.11. The same problem. I have a good antivirus Zone Alarm, and no problems with viruses. I will try Ati Catalyst 4.12 first, and if this not working maybe I will do a format. And if this is not working either, I will bring my graphic card to a friend and see how is working on him. Could this problem derived from Directx 9c?
    Adrian Tiba

also if you have 2 things trying to acess certain system resources this happens when you have onbord sound on your motherboard and install a sound card without disabling the onboard sound you get a blue screen and random reboots

Problems solved. The problem was that recent drivers for my video cards(Ati Radeon 9600) requires at least Service Pack 1. So I have installed that, and is ok.
    Adrian Tiba