buttonized animation?

Hi.

I was playing around with reaction controllers and I was wondering...

Let's say I have several starship's canons. Instead of animating the shooting every time by hand for every canon (ie: moving recoiling barrel, making muzzle flash visible) is it possible to make a button, and by pushing it, have the canons do a shoot cycle?

Is this possible with controllers, or does this require scripting? I've tried looking at mocap contollers, but that doesn't give me button pressing, shooting power.
    I was born...out of the grEEdiness of mankind. While man..<inaudible>...so will I...Uuuaaaaaaagh. -Gradius III-

You can do this with Maxs' motion capture controller. Actually in earlier versions of Max they included exactly the example you describe (a Frank Delise cannon from Lost in Space). Check your install discs you might have it.
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

Really?! Whoa...thanks. Been sitting under my nose this whole time?
    I will check my disks. Thank you!

<crossing fingers, hoping that MAX6 counts as an older version>
    Last edited by Apocalypse_26; 12-19-2004 at 04:01 PM.
    I was born...out of the grEEdiness of mankind. While man..<inaudible>...so will I...Uuuaaaaaaagh. -Gradius III-

Here you go(found it on my Max 4 discs). Load up the file, open Utilities > Motion Capture, turn on test (mouse drives the rotation and "F" fires the cannon).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

Thumbs up thanks!!!!

This is so incredible. Exactly what I was looking for!!!
    Thanks Paul. For the quick advice and file-searching

Very cool, i also had this question at the back of my mind ever since ive seen 3ds-max. thanks for the link to the file Paul, and thanks apoc for coming forward with the question

and apoc, if you do have a bunch of starship cannons you get working. i would love to see, but if you dont thats cool to. just pm me.

thx.

Alternative method

You can also do one animation cycle by hand then copy/paste the keys in the dope sheet mode of the Track View.

Simple dirty way of getting the same thing done... You know. if you don't have to complicate things...

-Oscar

yeah but if u copy paste, nothing else shud be moving cos it'll replay everything over and over. So i'd go with paul's idea.