Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I totally agree with you man, and im even one of the people that didnt want steam and stick to the old Online GUI
    This is my signature

Originally posted by Tephladon
    I'm not even going to finish this game because of steam. It only took 20 minutes to install but damn, it is a nusiance. Everytime I run the thing it wants to connect.
    Well, your loss. If people think they are making a statement against systems like this by not finishing the game they paid money for, or boycotting and demanding refunds they are quite mistaken. The majority of people have had no problems whatsoever with the game. Complaining that it has to connect everytime you want to play is weak. You can just put it into offline mode. I dont get it. The only difference between this and regular games is that you have to have steam running to play this. And dont tell me it's too big of a hassle to spend 10 seconds turning steam on everytime you want to play. Also it doesn't exactly take up a lot of system resources. It's just a good organizational program. I dont get what people have against it. Sure it forces you to download updates, but geez, the updates are there to make the game more enjoyable. Today with the cs: source update it was going to take 20 minutes, so i'm like, ok, fine, and went and did something else while waiting. If you cant spend 20 minutes every few months updating your game to make it more enjoyable, then you really dont have enough patience to be using a computer to begin with.

And i play counter strike: source EVERY SINGLE DAY (yes i'm a loser) and i've YET to see the "this game is unavailable message. So i'm guessing it has something to do with your system.

I find it kind of weak to blame valve for protecting a game that they poured all of their money into, and 5 years of their lives from jackasses just hitting a few buttons and playing for free. If I have to jump through a few extra hoops to protect this game from piracy, i'm more then happy to do it.
    Last edited by Gooms9; 12-17-2004 at 12:16 AM.

Originally posted by Gooms9

Complaining that it has to connect everytime you want to play is weak. You can just put it into offline mode. I dont get it. The only difference between this and regular games is that you have to have steam running to play this. And dont tell me it's too big of a hassle to spend 10 seconds turning steam on everytime you want to play. Also it doesn't exactly take up a lot of system resources. It's just a good organizational program. I dont get what people have against it. Sure it forces you to download updates, but geez, the updates are there to make the game more enjoyable. Today with the cs: source update it was going to take 20 minutes, so i'm like, ok, fine, and went and did something else while waiting. If you cant spend 20 minutes every few months updating your game to make it more enjoyable, then you really dont have enough patience to be using a computer to begin with.

And i play counter strike: source EVERY SINGLE DAY (yes i'm a loser) and i've YET to see the "this game is unavailable message. So i'm guessing it has something to do with your system.
    Gooms9:
    1. Have you even seen the steam complaint forums all over the internet with literally thousands of ppl complaining? Just because you have good luck doesn't mean that everyone else is getting the same thing.Iv'e been playing CS S for a week straight without any prob but now believe it or not i'm still waiting to play from my second post.

2. Steam offline doen't always work. Why is this? why doesn't it work 'when you want it to'?

3.There's nothing wrong with my system. I bought a brand new dell 8400 gaming pc with 1 gig ram 3.2 p4 processor with HT tech, 256 mb ATI x300 series video card on PCI EXPRESS just to play HL2. Aint nothing wrong with this system (show off-er).

4. "so i'm like ok..."
    Well there's something called 'spare time'. I have a job. When I come from work and take a bath I would like to sitback, relax and stab somebody in the back in counter strike source. Can't do that now because 'it won't let me play my own game' and now i'm getting sleepy. . Patience is a virtue but spare time comes at random.

EDIT: I can play now but steam still sucks!

BTW Gooms9 my id is JepMaster. I'm no pro but I make a mean lead man. lol. Go Go Go!

It would be a weak argument if it worked all of the time Gooms9.

1st, I stuck my foot in my mouth. I hope no one read it before I edited it hehehehe!!!!

EDIT: STUPID ME FOR NOT READING THE REQUIREMENTS, IT DOES SAY SO ON THE PACKAGE!!!! begins yanking foot out of mouth!

2nd. I have to go to work daily. I would like to be able to sit and play every day but other things take precedent. So when I do find the time to sit down and play it, the last thing I want to see is, "Offline Mode is Unavailable at this time"

3rd THe game is not so important to me that I just HAVE to play it. I can put it on a shelf and forget about it. Life goes on.

4th. Not all updates are good updates when it comes to software. Anyone remember Lightwave 7.5b update? What about the Blizzard suit when they where collecting info off your machines? I NEVER auto-update. It's a bad idea all around. I wait 'til everyone else does it so that problems can be fixed before I grab it. Software makers are human too so they can make mistakes and they have. Some errors I doubt are mistakes at all, but intentional engineering to probably curb a users taste from one product to another. Conspiracy Theories abound!!!!!

Perhaps you should do a little homework before implying that people like myself are silly bitchers who needs to get a clue.

LOL IIIKingdom. If they wanted to force you to install it, they it should not have been made optional. That's a whole gigabyte that I could have saved on my harddisk.
    Last edited by Tephladon; 12-17-2004 at 02:12 AM.

i agree with gooms... if you dont want to play the game.. then it really is your loss, you already payed for the game, so the company isnt loosing anything, and i highly doubt that valve will ever stray away from steam simply because of the piracy problem with hl2

offline mode works fine, assuming that you have everything downloaded on your hard drive.

you can also disable the auto update feature of hl2, cs:s is different as you can agree it is an online game and requires all of the clients to be running the same version of the game

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

OK

Steam wasn't the problem for me, neither was my internet connection, nor my hardware, no, not even me (I'm perfic godamn it ).
    I bought retail in UK everything installed OK, access to steam and it's servers was good, unlocking everything did take 'some time' but not the nightmare times quoted previously....

OK now I get round to it...

What really Foo foos me off is when you pay for something and it doesn't work properley... let me explain.

THE GAME IS BUGGED OUT MAN!!!

My system exceeds the specs on the retail box, but still I get this jumpy stuttering crap - WTF. I look on the HL2 forums and it's all like 'my HL2 runs like s**t' or 'how do I fix these jumpy/stuttery bits'. So I thought 'yeah, this one's for refund'. Gets it down to the games shop and they say 'no refund dude, cos you have got a HL2 activation code and that's what you paid for' - WTFOMGMFBTFDS says I!!!

So, I'm stuck with a game that looks/sounds/has a great physics engine/blah except for whenever it wants it just locks up and goes all stuttery and jumpy and stuff.

So, if you want my advice, and to end rant

Do not buy HL2 until Valve says that they have released the 'fix all' patch that will sort this c**p out. The game is bugged out to hell, they knew about this before they released it, yet still they released it.......way to go Valve ((
    (Sorry to hijack, 7 hours is also RIDICULOUS) - off to play Crazy Comets on Frodo - Byeeeee

Originally posted by IllKingdom
    Patience is a virtue but spare time comes at random.
    So true. I have seen the "game is unavalible" message once (on my bro's PC). And it was the most insulting thing. You should, at least, be able to play for a specified ammount of time with no restrictions what so ever no matter if you have an internet connection or not.

Life is the ultimate videogame. How do you play it?
    ---

Pleas sign the petition to help bring the BEST indies-manga, Playgroundpop!, in AZ to your local comic book stores!

IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ, YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

I am having so much problems with steam ( I listed the problems at the steam sucks thread) that I can't even play HL2, it kicks me out constantly and I've tried everything I can think of. It ruined my brothers sound system and his internet and I believe his drive too becuase right when we installed steam onto his computer the drive stoped reading cd's ( also there are way more problems that I have that are listed in the steam sucks thread).

I am sooooooo irritated by stream blocking me from playing HL2. Death to steam!

Living forever is a scientific possibility! Immortality, eternal youth or life extension is within reach! Check out the website at The Mprize

I just dont get how it can work flawlessly on so many computers, and then again, doesn't work at all on so many other computers. Doesn't that tell you that they're doing "something" wrong? I donno, maybe not, but I don't think it's the softwares fault seeing as it works flawlessly on everyones computer that i've personally talked to including my own.

Originally posted by Gooms9
    I just dont get how it can work flawlessly on so many computers, and then again, doesn't work at all on so many other computers. Doesn't that tell you that they're doing "something" wrong? I donno, maybe not, but I don't think it's the softwares fault seeing as it works flawlessly on everyones computer that i've personally talked to including my own.
    Mine had no problems what so ever. But steam has been generaly rubbish since it was introduced, and if it was me and my company, id make damn sure that steam worked perfectly before releasing HL2, since they did have an extra year! But thats just lies (the game isnt finnished yet) I think its time valve set up a group to fix steam, and get it to a stage where its reliable, thats what they should have been doind since the "theft" not making hl, dod and cs source...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast