Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

7 hrs to install and play Half-Life 2 is a disgrace

All because of Steam and ultra slow download and updating speed even over a broadband connection .

The game is good but to make people jump through hoops like this is wrong , and they mention nothing of this in thier cheapskate one page manual that comes with the game , they will drive people to pirate software with systems like this , when the hackers are finishised with HL2 it will be minus the Steam hijack so in the end who are Valve really hurting , paying customers !

I will never buy a game again that has a system like Steam involved in the install , to take many hours to install a game is bloody rediculas , in a way I hope the pirates spread HL2 like the plague to give Valve a kick in the rear just like they are kicking people that paid for this game with hard earned money .

Rod

I got Half-life 2 Via steam

had it all per-loaded

got home from work 2 hours after it had been unlocked.
    took about half an hour to unlock the files on the hard drive (remember there are over 4GB of files to unlock) and then i was up and running

I have had 0 problems at all with half-life 2 and steam

I think Steam is the best thing to happen to games cuts the middle man right out and puts all the money into the hands of the people who made the games

I will be more then happy to buy all my games via steam now

I agree with you, but this belongs in the steam sucks thread.

Gage23:You might have had a perfect experience, but many others haven't

I agree with you. But it's different case by case.

My brothers PC... it took around 3 hours to install and play. (that was on the first day of release)

My fathers PC... it took 20 minutes!! I'm not joking. I came to a conclusion that it has to be with how busy steam is.... either that or a 3ghz pc with 1gig of ram makes all the difference. (and this was days later... around thanksgiving)
    Life is the ultimate videogame. How do you play it?
    ---

Pleas sign the petition to help bring the BEST indies-manga, Playgroundpop!, in AZ to your local comic book stores!

IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ, YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

Post Well.....

Mine took about 35 minutes to set up 'after' the actual installation. Steam really kills the experience of what gaming should be. Many days I was so ready to play HL2 but steam said games unavailable or server is too busy try again later. Look at what gaming became and then look back at the days of super marios and unreal tournament where playing a game was just about having fun and a great experience with friends or yourself without having to worry about steam 'not allowing' you to play the game the you spent $50+ dollars on at the time you want to! It's very official that steam SUCKS!!( this should be in the official steam sucks thread ) Some ppl just try to be all goody to shoe and support the company 'preventing piracy' and 'saving money' but every lock has a key and every tap has or will develop a leak.

Tips ::
    1. If game is unavailable, it's probably downloading updates. You won't be able to play until it's completed.

2.If the game lags, it's probably downloading updates. You won't be able to play comfortably until it's completed.

3. If you look at the taskmanager icon for steam and you see a line of dots, it's downloading updates. You won't be able to play until it's complete.

Re: Well.....

Originally posted by IllKingdom
    Look at what gaming became and then look back at the days of super marios and unreal tournament where playing a game was just about having fun and a great experience with friends or yourself without having to worry about steam 'not allowing' you to play the game the you spent $50+ dollars on at the time you want to! It's very official that steam SUCKS!!(
    yeah but you have to remember that piracy was a small issue back then compared to now. one of the things steam was designed to do was to stop pirating of games and so far it has been more effective than most cd protection which can usually be cracked on the day of release
    so if you're going to blame anyone, i think it should be warez users, not valve
    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - Richard Dean Anderson

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Updated 31/01/05 - 3DBuzz VTM Introduction videos uploaded!)

'In a graceful tone'

I'm not blaming valve because I understand why they are doing it BUT! don't you think user aggrivation is going to help valve in the future. I mean it will only kill valve, Users don't care how 'cool' the games they make are anymore. They just want to play the game when they want. I'm saying this because I love all valve games but this is over doing it. They'll make less money if they don't fix steam. Now I wish i could show you the snapshot I just took when I tried to start up counter strike source. I have to wait 114 minutes to play the game I want to play NOW. You think me 'the customer' is happy with that? You think me 'the purchaser' wants to go thru that again just to play a game?. I just want to play the game I sacrificed my stomach for. Surely there are other ways to slow down piracy to the benifit of 'Both' parties. The rate game technology is going these days, valve will be dust if the don't fix steam because there are too many other good games out there and I for one am not going to go thru this with another one of their games. Warez will always be in this world, and the better the security gets the better the chackerz get, it's just reality. Where there's good there's evil. Snap I think buzzes watermarking idea with a few networking adjustments and warnings to the user would have been better than steam.

I'm not even going to finish this game because of steam. It only took 20 minutes to install but damn, it is a nusiance. Everytime I run the thing it wants to connect. It's a bad idea all around and too many software companies are in the business of punishing the honest users with this kind of crap. Either way this publisher has lost my business.

When Right Hemisphere started this crap I was upset enough. I upgraded to DP3D version 1.61 and was not at all inspired to buy any more of their software with the online licensing system. So I continue to use 1.61. Right Hemisphere however isn't nearly as bad as steam however.

Not to mention if you don't want to install the CounterStrike source code, that install errors out. What kinda crap is that. I didn't want that crap on my drive but low and behold I had to have it.

It is a great game thus far but from now on, it's the PS2 for me even the games are never as intense. They start crap like this, they lose me forever.

Hey, I'm sorry to say it, but, you guys lack patients (not you RodB, seven hours is rediculous... but it's probably something on your end... ). Go watch a movie while you wait and complain about how long it's taking (like me and my bro did lol). Yes it's rediculous, but I'm getting into game design myself and if I can stop 20,000 people from stealing my game with the only downside of it is a little patients...? I'm going to take it.

I whole heartedly agree with what valve has created.
    My only hope is they release a "no internet connection patch" in the future when nobody wants to play it anymore.

Although, I do agree that there IS a better way to do it. But valve sure got a strong one.
    Last edited by OutSane_Al; 12-16-2004 at 11:20 PM.
    Life is the ultimate videogame. How do you play it?
    ---

Pleas sign the petition to help bring the BEST indies-manga, Playgroundpop!, in AZ to your local comic book stores!

IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ, YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

'not being disrespectful'

Originally posted by Tephladon

Not to mention if you don't want to install the CounterStrike source code
    LOL. Counter Strike Source is 'A Kickass Game' not the source code for counter strike. It's a new release of counter strike that uses the new technology from the halflife 2 engine.Very Addictive. I too almost got fooled with the title.

Outsane Ai:
    It's not a matter of us having no patience. It's a matter of playing a game when you want too, like on your spare time?. We mean you can't play most of the time when you click on the icon.That's way after installation and activation.

Example:
    People all over the world steal cable right?
    How would you like to put on your tv and see steam randomly pop up and tell you that your cable is unavailable at this time or you have to wait a few hours for your cable to be updated even if you choose the option of non auto update.Wouldn't that get you pissed off at the cable company and make you switch? Then when ppl say 'oh it's because of the ppl that steal cable' what would you say? I know what I would say: " I don't care about all that, i just want to watch the cable I payed for when it's convinient for ME, not the cable company, ME".

That little example can totally be compared to gaming since it's visually and pysically interactive. So I know no one can come with 'you can't compare the two'.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast