Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by Gooms9
    I just dont get how it can work flawlessly on so many computers, and then again, doesn't work at all on so many other computers. Doesn't that tell you that they're doing "something" wrong? I donno, maybe not, but I don't think it's the softwares fault seeing as it works flawlessly on everyones computer that i've personally talked to including my own.
    Wow. You don't really know much about software creation do you? Because of the large software and hardware selection for windows systems there are so many configurations that it is almost impossible to make a piece of software work perfectly on every system. The problem with a software like steam is that it requires too many things to go right. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and many of them end up delaying or preventing people playing the game. Most games have small problems, but often the game is still playable with them. Because of steam it seems almost every hl2 problem prevents gameplay.

I wouldn't mind steam much if it actually worked to prevent piracy. All it did was let the pirates create a version that is easier to use and has less problems than the real version. Pirates don't care if they get banned from steam they don't even need it anyways. In the end it only causes more problems for the people with legitimate copies. (I still hate the concept of game packages downloaded online)

Personally I ahd no problems at all with the installation and the game runs fine on my ageing 2gig machine.... but it does seem im one of fortunate few going by this thread...

Same here, I didn't have any problems with the install nor with running anything... but I did do a fresh format/install of win2000 the day before installing so that might have helped. *shrug*

But that's not to say I don't loath Steam; the steamy pile of festering bloat that it is.
    A Lot is two words.

Here's an interesting fact. If you choose not to install CS it is possible that your install will fail.

I was reinstalling HL2 and had 3.5 GB of hard drive space clear for the install. I tried installing it and it happily informed me that it needs more than 4 to insall. A little pissed off at this point I went and cleared out some more space. I started the install back up and got all the way to the screen that lets you choose what you want to install. I noticed that I had MORE THAN ENOUGH to install HL2 BEFORE I cleaned out more. Why did I have to clean out more? Because Counter Strike takes an entire gigabyte. I had to clean more simply for an item I wasn't going to install anyways. I never played the original CS and didn't have any plans to play the source version. Why isn't the drive space check AFTER the instalation options?!?

I deselected CS and started the install. After waiting through 4 discs of the installation I get an error about a bad file, and the installation quickly exits out and leaves me with "Fatal Error: installation ended prematurely because of an error". Instead of trying to resolve the error it just immediately deleted EVRYTHING it had just installed and gave me no hint of why it had an error or how to correct it. I started the installation again and tried browsing the Valve site to see if there was a solution. I discovered that it happens when you don't install CS. So I cancelled my 2 discs worth of transfer and started installing it AGAIN. I used the extra time I had figuring out how to uninstall the software that I shouldn't have had to install in the first place.

The verification took 15 minutes. That alone is more time than I have ever spent on a game instalation. Total install time without verification: 2 hours.

My HL2 box was missing something. The picture of a hand flipping me off with the words " download it online next time you bastard." I guess they decided it would be too expensive just like cases for the cds and a freaking manual! My first disc was actually out of its sleave! That is almost impossible when it is closed in the box. It probably would never happen if they included more in thr box (like a manual). Cases and a freaking manual is all I need with my games! Is it too much to ask? I actually collect manuals from games I buy. I have about 30 pounds of them. And cases with awesome art and profesionally printed inserts are one of the greatest things ever. All HL2 came with was discs, sleeves, and a small piece of paper that is full of crap everyone already knows. You people have no idea how much I love my manuals and cases. I'm actually regretting buying a physical legitimate copy since it doesn't provide me with any advantage except for having 5 discs with crappy art on them. The hassle of installing a real copy is torture compared to the insanely easy extract and execute of the pirated copy I played. Cases and a manual would have made it all feel worth it. Also note that even though Valve banned tons of people from steam it had no affect on people using the insanely easy pirated version I played. The only advantage to a real copy is multiplayer and I don't even use that. Cases and manuals damnit. (wow that really was a long rant)

Actually, you can play multiplayer with the pirated version too.. I obviously won't explain how.

The only advantage to the real version in my opinion is Hammer. I don't think there is a way for the pirates to get that working, and if there was, I'm pretty sure anything they would make with it would probably somehow be identifiable as being made with stolen software.. I have no specific reason to think that, just a real strong hunch. *shrug*

But having said that, I would have spent the $50 JUST for Hammer, etc. Steam sucks so hard it could make a bunghole whistle, but Hammer is one of the sexiest apps I've ever used. Well worth the price of admission.
    A Lot is two words.

There is also another fact with steam: After a while you have been offline, you MUST be online to activt it again to be able to play it. At their forum it says that "that wasn't the idea with it"....riiiight.

Also, those of us who bought the game on DVD instead of by steam, we has to have the game cd in the drive. Why? If I have to have the DVD in my drive, I want steam to be deactivated.

Steam is an good idea as an bittorrent kinda thing, but it should have been ONLY used for that...all that copyprotection crap is a pain.

Back to the subject.

I was disapointed over Half-Life 2. The first Half-Life had a better plot IMO. The game Half-Life 2 was bad, the engine Half-Life 2 might be good. But all in all, it wasn't worth the money. I had more fun with FarCry, both as game and storyline goes.

I only hope that there is going to come some nice mods out there, and that it will be possible to disable steam.
    Anders K. "McGreed" Nielsen
    Portfolio ¦ Array 3D for 3ds max ¦ Looking for work

Originally posted by McGreed
    Also, those of us who bought the game on DVD instead of by steam, we has to have the game cd in the drive. Why? If I have to have the DVD in my drive, I want steam to be deactivated.
    this has been addressed already one of the updates in mid Dec has removed the need to have the dvd in the drive to play

as was proven alot already steam didnot stop the pirates from distributing the game

my local friends and i have already stated we will not buy another game from Valve if we have to go thru steam to install/play it
    Aint that some ...

Originally posted by ja8t3d

this has been addressed already one of the updates in mid Dec has removed the need to have the dvd in the drive to play

as was proven alot already steam didnot stop the pirates from distributing the game

my local friends and i have already stated we will not buy another game from Valve if we have to go thru steam to install/play it
    I don't need my CD in the drive to play. But I'm dissapointed that my copy will not play on my machine. After a few minutes of gameplay my computer restarts....

And I'm questioning wether or not I would want to purchase any game that has this type of copy protection system. I like the auto updating, but not the restritions. I want to be able to launch directly into the game, not go through some other source.
    Last edited by OutSane_Al; 01-08-2005 at 01:26 AM.
    Life is the ultimate videogame. How do you play it?
    ---

Pleas sign the petition to help bring the BEST indies-manga, Playgroundpop!, in AZ to your local comic book stores!

IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ, YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

i agree and just a little FYI ***censored by me***someone reported it on the steampowered.com forums
    Last edited by the_Jester; 01-08-2005 at 01:38 AM.
    Aint that some ...

Are you sure you want to mention that here? ...or are you joking? lol
    Life is the ultimate videogame. How do you play it?
    ---

Pleas sign the petition to help bring the BEST indies-manga, Playgroundpop!, in AZ to your local comic book stores!

IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ, YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast