Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to model "soft" chair with splines? :o(

Have been going mental all day looking for tutorials and googling like mad(and trying countless times in Max)to find a good way to model a chair,found a tutorial in a book of mine but it left a lot out,I cant quite get surfaces to develop between spline segments the way I want them!
    Can someone point me to a tutorial please?

The chair in question has curves thats why its been a bit of a bugger!

(

Cheers all

The chair looks like this! (bugger!)

[img=http://img150.exs.cx/img150/4794/chair4af.th.jpg]
    Whole lotta love in here!!!

Why spline model? Why not box model?
    Water, water everywhere. Go nuts. There's your water.

Box modeling with a meshsmooth?

(you see the geometry gets weird when its "smoothed" as it needs to be imported to GtKRadiant as a model and its here that the problems show themselves.)

Will give it a go.

Can you reccomend a very good tutorial(or video) that will help me best get to grips with that?

Thanks for all help on this.

There's a great tutorial on 3dtotal.com on how to make a computer chair. You can also try the noise modifier to give your cushion the look of softness.

Thanks a lot for your feedback on this(that linked websites tuts are fantastic!)first project of mine.

I have messed around with some vertices and I'm now at this stage:
    [img=http://img142.exs.cx/img142/6366/shot4vz.th.jpg]

Long way to go,I know.
    Could you give me some suggestions on these points?

1. How can I reduce the number of vertices on this model without giving up a smoothed sculpted look(which it doesnt have yet!)

2. How can I get the model looking smoothed. I have applied a meshsmooth and I'm sorry to say it doesn't really do a lot for the model except raise the subdivision and poly count(a big mistake if this is to be importable to a Wolfenstein/Quake editor like GtKRadiant,vertice count must be as low as possible)which isnt what I can handle.

3. As you can see in this thumbnail:
    [img=http://img142.exs.cx/img142/8083/editpolycap5wo.th.jpg]
    the end of the chair arm is too angular and has somesharp vertice points,how can I round them, and also in the inner curve(all done without reference pictures)there is a slit between two edges,can I close them?

I really appreciate the help and heads up you are all giving me on this.
    Direct input from other members here speeds up the tempo of this models progress as if I had to google for answers on these points I would be there all day!
    :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
    Last edited by surrenderdoroth; 12-16-2004 at 09:35 AM.

I would go for the boxmodeling approach in combination with shaghair/fur. First make the chair and later add the thousands of tiny little hairs onto the chair. Think this will be the most realistic.

But too much detailed (high-poly)

For your type of game you should go lowpoly boxmodeling with a texture that looks like the texture on that chair. It would be much more less detailed, but you haven't got much choice, unless you've got a heavy game engine.
    Last edited by rza-22; 12-16-2004 at 10:07 AM.

Originally posted by surrenderdoroth
    1. How can I reduce the number of vertices on this model without giving up a smoothed sculpted look(which it doesnt have yet!)
    If this is going into a game engine then you're going to want to model it at low poly then simulate the cloth folds with the textures.

2. How can I get the model looking smoothed. I have applied a meshsmooth and I'm sorry to say it doesn't really do a lot for the model except raise the subdivision and poly count(a big mistake if this is to be importable to a Wolfenstein/Quake editor like GtKRadiant,vertice count must be as low as possible)which isnt what I can handle.
    Again, model it low poly, do a good texturing job.

You could use a normal map but I think it might be overkill for a chair. How important is the chair to the scene?

3. As you can see in this thumbnail:
    [img=http://img142.exs.cx/img142/8083/editpolycap5wo.th.jpg]
    the end of the chair arm is too angular and has somesharp vertice points,how can I round them, and also in the inner curve(all done without reference pictures)there is a slit between two edges,can I close them?
    The sharp edge is caused from the poly's being in different smoothing groups.
    To close the slit between two edges just weld the verts together.
    Last edited by PicaroMT; 12-16-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks for the great pointers,here's a bit of an update and some clarification.
    The model is one of a set of identical seats that sit in a reception of a company,I am modeling the reception of the company in GtKRadiant(because I can use that very well)and then I will make an avi film from within the model. The "camera" wont really look at the model/s(there will be 8 of the buggers copied)they will be sitting off to the right of the view,but they will be held in shot for a static shot that will change to a still image which will be "hotspotted" in Dreamweaver for interactivity.

(phew!)

The chair/s doesnt need any fancy texturing,just basically a dark green matte colour from Photoshop(maybe with a little soft noise) UV mapped over and thats basically it!

Funnily enough I could build the exterior of the office and the large reception in a day(I work really fast in Radiant) but this f.....g model is integral to that inner area and is in fact the only model for this project! (grrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

So Here is the result of moving vertices around all night!
    (I will sort out the cushion,I know it looks like a block of concrete!)
    (I should really photograph this chair and then work from reference images shouldnt I?)

[img=http://img134.exs.cx/img134/7617/ddd8kh.th.jpg]

It looks a lot like its been made from plasticint or playdough,I need a little more angularity in the model! (to say the least!)

Here is the (way too busy number of vertices!) 3d max view with edge faces on.

[img=http://img134.exs.cx/img134/5813/3dview3dy.th.jpg]

And this is a shot of the original(bastard!) chairs:

[img=http://img134.exs.cx/img134/1205/chair6le.th.jpg]

While I have your attention,let me just check this with you:

I have mirrored one side of "doughboy" chair,I can't get the vertices down the middle to weld to the mirrored vertices,I can only have one side of vertices active at one time,the others wont change to red so I can weld all of em together,why is that?
    How do I make that seam join?

I think I will stretch this model so that it has more height,from the lower half of the model and angle some of it back to give more form.....should I do that with one side and then mirror the other,or it makes no difference in the end?

Please forgive the inane noobish type questions I"m throwing out here,this is all very very new to me.
    Last edited by surrenderdoroth; 12-16-2004 at 02:35 PM.

I have mirrored one side of "doughboy" chair,I can't get the vertices down the middle to weld to the mirrored vertices,I can only have one side of vertices active at one time,the others wont change to red so I can weld all of em together,why is that?
    How do I make that seam join?

You need to attach one mesh to the other with the Attach button. Save this step until the end. Chair looks good but I think it is over kill in poly's for a game model.

My texturing comment was trying to let you know that you can "fake" the folds in the fabric by "painting" shadows and highlights on the texture map.

OK. I got bored when I got home and decided to give this a try.

The model came out pretty good. I'm not a texture artist but I did do a basic box uvw unwrap.

Here is a wireframe view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair wire.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	35594  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast