Question HL2 Scripting and C++

He there...
    I don't own HL2 yet, but as I'm interested in modding I have a question!??!!

Can you use C++ to mod HL2, or does it only uses some sort of propetary Scripting language like Unreal Script for example....

I know you can use C++ if you buy a license to the engine and want to make your own deep midiications... but I was wondering if for a no commercial mod C++ could still be sued to manipulate and change the way things work

Cheers

Re: HL2 Scripting and C++

Originally posted by HokutoTC
    He there...
    I don't own HL2 yet, but as I'm interested in modding I have a question!??!!

Can you use C++ to mod HL2, or does it only uses some sort of propetary Scripting language like Unreal Script for example....

I know you can use C++ if you buy a license to the engine and want to make your own deep midiications... but I was wondering if for a no commercial mod C++ could still be sued to manipulate and change the way things work

Cheers
    When you install it, steam gives you an SDK option, runing that gives you the chance to "Make a MOD" which places all the source code (in C++) in a folder for you to start modding:P I dont know if hammer has some sort of scripting for level events etc as i havent used it yet

it's pure C++ you'll love it.

Well my favorite mod team just announced that there next project will be done on the Source engine. I fugure I probably should start poking around with it.

I understand you need a compiler. Which one is everyone using? Is there a free one that will do the job?

The only 100% supported IDE for the Source is Microsoft's Visual Studio 2003, but people have gotten it to work with older versions. I've heard nothing of people getting it to work with an IDE such as Dev C++. The actual project file is a .sln which is generally ascociated with VS projects. This is a real hsame because Visual Studio is something like $1000? If you wait it out im sure someone will get it working with a free IDE.

Maybe it's not yet there but try this link
    http://www.hl2coding.com/wiki/index....a0a7912035699e
    People there are working on using various compilers (also the free ones) so I suppose that they will come up with some stuff soon. If you are interested in learning HL2 code and not doing something that's supposed to be released to the public you should read about beta version of MS Visual Studio 2005. The article about using it to compile HL2 code is on the page I've mentioned before (remember you should not release to the public source code or compiled files that you create using this version of MS VS!). I hope that helps!

you can release the source code just not the compiled executable

source code is yours...whose to say you did not use an text editor to write the code???

I only wrote what I've read on that page. I just wanted to save trouble to people who might want to work with this compiler (it's also on the site). And the author of the article wrote:
    VS 2005 Express Beta is a beta IDE available as a free download from Microsoft. The download may be free, but there are strings attached. You may not distribute the source code or compiled files you create with this product. This means it is not suitable for use by a serious modder, but it is useful if you just want to muck around with HL2 coding without laying down any cash.
    I haven't yet learnt programming so I'm no expert in these matters and I pressume that he was right by writing this.

you dont have to buy the whole Visual Studio set. you can just get Visual C++ .net 2003 for 109 USD. That will work fine with editing c++ for Source