Thread: SMTP Mail

SMTP Mail

hi guys, i have been wondering.. what exactly is required to use the mail function in php, i have asked this before and people said that i needed to specify my isp's smtp mail account that i got with my isp, however i have a shared connection and dont know what it is and i dont have access to it

i was wondering if there is anyway to have an smtp server or something running off your computer instead of having one from an isp

thanks

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

Yes, you could setup a smtp server on your pc which forwards the emails to a "real" smtp server.

It's quite simple to setup on windows, but on linux I've found it to be quite a hassle (haven't figured it out yet).

On my windows box I've use a couple of different servers. I first used 1st smtp server which was very simple and worked perfectly at once. But after a few days I realised that it was sending 500+ mails each hour. Someone was using my smtp server to send out large number of spam mails. I then uninstalled 1st smtp server and tried a few other servers.

The one I found to be the best was argosoft mail server. www.argosoft.com

It's a bit of work to set it up first, then once that's done it'll run just fine.

You dont need access to anything, all you need to know is who the service provider is. ex: cox, comcast, roadrunner... then go to their home page and look under help->mail setup or what not and they will tell you what it is.

For example my ISP is roadrunner so my smtp for my area is smtp-server.houston.rr.com. just plug that in to your php.ini and it should work.

I dont understand how you cant know the ISP unless maybe you are in a dorm or something. I think I remember reading one of your posts saying you were split off of a friends or something. If thats the case just ask your friend who he/she gets internet from and follow the above to get smtp.

thx man,.. i didnt realize that you just needed to know the address from your ip.
    i think i found it now and im going to test out my mail function

thx again

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!