Suggested Reading (motivating books)

If you are wanting some motivation to do programming I have some suggestions I know that sometimes you can get couped up in something and wonder why I am doing this and want to quit. Here are a couple of books to explain some things and gives new perspectives on things. Plus I hate non-fiction books but throughly enjoyed these books so I thought that you might like them to. I will update this list as a read more books. But feel free to add your own ideas.
    [list=1][*]Just for fun: Story of an accidental revolutionary.[*]Cathedral and the Bazaar musings on linux and an accidental revolutionary.[*]How to become a Hacker Truely explains what a hacker is[*]Hacker Ethic Read before you judge this book[/list=1]
    Will add my Hacker Research paper later
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

When I need it, nothing gets me more motivated than writing a working program, even if it's just a small 40 line implementation of a nifty data structure.

Originally posted by halma
    When I need it, nothing gets me more motivated than writing a working program, even if it's just a small 40 line implementation of a nifty data structure.
    True but these are more for a long term fix but yeah definatly writing a working program will help to be motivating.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution was a great read. Programmer or not, if you're into computers at all, you should love it.

The same author also brought us Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy in the Digital Age, which was ironically quite readable.

But I think my favorite industry book has to be The Fat Man on Game Audio: Tasty Morsels of Sonic Goodness. (If you're old enough to remember when every game worth playing had music by "the Fat Man and Team Fat", this be the man himself) George Sanger is a heck of a personality, and it comes through in spades. Lots of great background on the game industry. Philosophy and life lessons abound. Little to no information on game audio.
    Aaron Levitz
    LiveJournal / MySpace

Disclaimer:
    These views are my own, not to be considered official for the site, or representative of anyone else's thoughts on the matter. If I have offended you, I was either trying to make you think, or to make you laugh. Please take my comments in the spirit they were intended, and let me apologize in advance for any misunderstanding.