Cool For Chinny Eyes MAINLY :)

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Chinny

Hi everyone

Yes I am errr the Chinny (insert embarrased smiley here) well spotted. Good catch on the video although perhaps not my finest moment

I am the XSI product Manager at Softimage and like many of us here at Soft, I trawl the forums to better understand what is happening in the community.

Although I may not post here often I read 3DBuzz everyday and take on board both the good and bad issues. We are always listening and will continue to do so.

Keep it coming... that's why we are all here... which is ultimately to have fun and enjoy what we do as often as we can.

Cheers

Chinny
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT! Hi Chinny... do you mind if I call you Chinny
    I was looking for you sir... yes I was... this is why:

I was enquiring to Conitec about possible compatibility between their affordable 3D game engine 3DGS and XSI export formats

http://www.conitecserver.com/ubbthr...o=&fpart=1&vc=1

My question to Conitec was:
    "BONUS QUESTION!
    I'm a XSI 4 Foundation user. Do you have plans for direct support for Softimage XSI... dotXSI. Importing and exporting the dotXSI file format. The dotXSI File Transfer Toolkit (FTK), is freely available for download here."

From a Conitec guy this was part of the answer:
    “Once WED (3DGS map editor) and the map compiler support concave geometry imports from other formats should be easier or at least more robust.
    I would recommedn that you talk to the XSI developers as well and ask them for GameStudio MDL7 or Quake MAP export - both formats are documented.”

Part of my following argument was:
    “The thing is that many artists and many people in the game industry are buying XSi Foundation because finally we can afford a Pro 3D Pacakge, take it home and produce quality stuff... the price of XSi Foundation with 6 Training DVDs has converted many people even CRACK USERS!"
    (NOTE FOR CHINNY:I have worked in the game industry since 1994 and as a Game and Level designer I was happy to install my own XSI 4 Foundation on my home PC even if at work I was used to use Maya! End NOTE )

Back to my post on conitec
    "People who buy XSI would be pleased to know that there is another affordable tool, Conitec A6 Commercial/Pro, that would enable them to make good use of their 3D assets. Artists and Designers able to use XSi would love to use 3DGS to make their own games without having to depend on others...too busy programmers.

You have received lot of requests from Max and Maya users... these are the same people who can't afford 3DGS A6 Pro very probably so I guess 80% of them are using cracked copies of those 3D packages...

I will contact XSi developers to enquire about supporting 3DGS file formats, but it would make a lot of sense if a packge like 3DGS would be directly comaptible with affordable 3D packages like XSi Foundation... and not only Max or Maya that are out of reach for common mortals unless they use cracked copies..."

END POST on Conitec site

What do you say Chinny, does this make sense?
    Would it be posible to XSI4 to support "GameStudio MDL7 or Quake MAP export - (both formats are documented)” any time soon?

The deal is this...
    XSI 4 Foundation (with the trining DVDs) is at a price range that
    many indie wannbe developers could afford. If they/we can afford to buy a decent but affordable engine, like 3DGS or Torque, then we can afford XSI, maybe a few will have to save a little bit and then buy it. If you make XSI talk with low cost engines wouldn't you say that you would also sell more copies of XSI FOundation?
    As most of the poeple using an open source or cheap 3D engine would be happy to use XSI as opposed to use some unfriendly free and messy and hard to learn 3D half developed packge?

I think the 3Democracy thing would fit weel with getting XSI to talk with tools like Torque and 3DGS... Not just Virtools that is still too expensive for most people... Yes I can see something is also happening with Ogre and that's great!

What do you say?
    GameStudio MDL7 and s other indie friendly format coming soon?

Thanks for your time if you get time to reply

of course I do not necessarely mean A6 or Torque only..
    but something more than just Half Life Modding woudl be great...
    just a general better support for the many engines out there that indie developers could use with XSI

Thansk!

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

We are currently looking at expanding our export capabilities, but until we have something ready to roll, I (nor Soft) unfortunately can not speak about it. Even if we know we are gonna do somethiing in the near future we can say nothing until legal agreements are in place. We do not want to be sneaky but there are just some issues which often stop us from speaking publically about stuff until they are ready.

I know this is not what you ultimately want to hear, but it's the best I can do for now.

All I can say in the meantime is "keep watching Softimage.Com" for the latest news.

Chinny

C'est la vie.
    A Lot is two words.

All I can say in the meantime is "keep watching Softimage.Com" for the latest news.
    What a shameless plug! ...

But we're used to that kind of answers. There's some buss... buzzbi... busby-guy around here who also never can talk about what he's doing. sight... What a sad life...

Keep those exporters coming...

sincerly,
    daniel | schyzomaniac
    The only path to SUCCESS is through FAILURE!
    ...other people's failure. Not yours.
    That wouldn't be a very good path.

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

We are currently looking at expanding our export capabilities, but until we have something ready to roll, I (nor Soft) unfortunately can not speak about it. Even if we know we are gonna do somethiing in the near future we can say nothing until legal agreements are in place. We do not want to be sneaky but there are just some issues which often stop us from speaking publically about stuff until they are ready.

I know this is not what you ultimately want to hear, but it's the best I can do for now.

Chinny

This was soon enough, I know you are busy

Well, your reply sounds positive even if it lacks in details and dates ehe he e.
    But is is good to hear you are looking into expanding your export capabilities.

Thanks, that brings hope

HokutoTC

Now live on Softimage.com

http://www.softimage.com/products/Mod/v4/

Here is an example of our supporting new formats, the first being for Valve Source.

I could not publicly talk about this before, but it is part of our ongoing commitment to expand our import\export options

See what I mean now

Chinny

that's great Chinny
    THANKS!

ok Chinny that was easy... you know you already had Softimage EXP to export to HL2... ah ahah ha
    now let's see some format that talks well with small engines that people can use to make games and sell them (instead just modding)

so PLEASE do not come out with tons of mod plug-ins for Quake25, Doom69, etc....

but let's get some for things like 3D Game Studio from Conitec and Torque from Garage Games Of course as this is commercial stuff I would think these would be maybe plug-ins for Foundation and above?

Also... if you already have Foundation... do you still need to install XSIMod4 or do you have plug ins for commercial versions of XSI to export to Source?

You see the main request was not about Free Modding version, but Exporters for the Foundation package to export Models, Animations, Levels, Textures etc... to Indie level engines...

But great never the less
    a good start

Well done Softimage!
    You can only get better from here
    Last edited by HokutoTC; 12-23-2004 at 03:59 AM.