Thumbs up Repeatable crash in XSI EXP for Half-Life 2 (Non-default install path issue)

So here I was, all ecstatic about starting my first model in XSI.. I fired up the first video in DeSty's XSI Colt 1911 VTM and started following along..... and oh boy did I ever get far into it, let me tell you!

At one minute and fifteen seconds (1:15!) into the first video, (after dragging & dropping the reference jpg he is going to be tracing off of) he clicks Rotoscopy Options -> New -> New From Source -> colt1911_reference.jpg and *poof* the jpg appears for him in the browser window he's using........

When _I_ do it, it goes *poof* alright.... then says: "Failed to save sequence before system failure." [OK] "XSI.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windoze. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

I haven't changed any options or settings or anything at all in XSI; it's totally stock. I installed it the other day and this was the first time I used it. My computer runs like a top and is all up to date in terms of drivers and Winblows updates, etc. I also just defragged yesterday and everything is clean as a whistle. I'm stumped.

Help me Buzzbi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

EDIT: Just changed the title to reflect the solution.
    Last edited by sourmash; 12-04-2004 at 01:27 AM.
    A Lot is two words.

hm...seems like it's only repeatable on your end. I did this very often and it never caused a crash for me. Even now when i tried it again after reading your post.
    Did you try it without drag and droping the files first into xsi? When you start a fresh scene, just click on Rotoscope -> New -> New from File... and browse to your image.
    Which graphic card do you have? Are the latest drivers installed? Try setting AntiAliasing to 0. XSI doesn't really like AA with ATI cards sometimes. i.e. FXtree. Maybe that's the problem?

Good luck fixing it,
    daniel | schyzomaniac
    The only path to SUCCESS is through FAILURE!
    ...other people's failure. Not yours.
    That wouldn't be a very good path.

i will a ssume you are using the xsi|exp for half life 2 sooooo-

did you activate the hl2 exporter?
    Aint that some ...

Originally posted by schyzomaniac
    Did you try it without drag and droping the files first into xsi? When you start a fresh scene, just click on Rotoscope -> New -> New from File... and browse to your image.
    First of all, I'm an idiot. lol I can't believe I didn't try that lastnight! (It was super late. hehe) But.... unfortunately, it didn't help. (Just tried.) It still crashed with the same dialogues.

Originally posted by schyzomaniac
    Which graphic card do you have? Are the latest drivers installed? Try setting AntiAliasing to 0. XSI doesn't really like AA with ATI cards sometimes. i.e. FXtree. Maybe that's the problem?
    I'm using a Radeon9700 with the latest drivers and I learned from UnrealEd to never have AA on while doing this sort of thing. (Also, incase any of this is relevant, I'm using a 2GHz Barton and 512MB of dual channel RAM which is all synchronous at 400MHz on an Abit NF7-S v2.0 mobo and all my nForce2 drivers are up to date as well.)

Originally posted by ja8t3d
    i will a ssume you are using the xsi|exp for half life 2 sooooo-

did you activate the hl2 exporter?
    Yes, I am using XSI EXP for Half-Life 2 and I did activate the exporter. (Which reminds me, I guess lastnight was the second time I ran XSI. The day I installed it, I ran it to activate the exporter and followed the instructions and had no problems.) I'm sure I didn't monkey with any settings or anything within the program other than whatever I was told to do to activate it. I'm stumped.....

I appreciate the suggestions guys, keep em comin! I'm dying to get this working! I want to start modelling some goodies so bad I want to chew my arm off. lol

EDIT: I just tried again, but this time I put the jpg in the default location that was there when I clicked "New From File" (F:\softimageXSIexp\XSI_EXP-for-HL2\EXPWeb\tutorial_project\Pictures) but that didn't make a difference. It still crashed. *sigh*
    Last edited by sourmash; 12-03-2004 at 07:10 PM.
    A Lot is two words.

what rez do you have your monitor set at?
    Aint that some ...

Originally posted by ja8t3d
    what rez do you have your monitor set at?
    1600x1200 @70Hz (I know, 70Hz=booo, but I canna push 'er any harder cap'n! )

Oh yeah, I'm running win2000 SP4 if that matters.
    A Lot is two words.

OK, to be thorough I just tried converting the image to a .gif, .pcx, .psd, .sgi, .tif, .tga, .bmp, & a smaller .jpg to see if size was the issue.

Also, to test if it was the file's location or name, I moved them to C:\ImageReference\1911ref00.jpg.bmp.gif.etc.

I guess I'll clear some space on my C:\ and reinstall XSI to the default location to rule that out. Wish me luck..
    A Lot is two words.

try dropping your rez to 1280 x 1024
    Aint that some ...

w00t! The re-install did it.

I had read somewhere that XSI gets cranky if there are any spaces in the install path so I had made sure not to use any the last time I installed. Welp, I guess we can add that it gets cranky if you install it to "F:\softimageXSIexp\XSI_EXP-for-HL2\".

Hopefully Chinny sees this and either passes this info on to the code-monkeys at Softimage to fix it or to the web-guys so that they can change that info I had read from "don't use spaces in the install path" to "use the frikkin default path or at the very least, do not install it to F:\softimageXSIexp\".

Oh btw, I installed it to F:\ the first time because that is my fastest drive. My F:\ is on the sATA channel and my C:\ is on the pATA channel (IDE0). I thought I'd mention that incase it's useful info to whoever if Chinny passes it along. *shrug*

/me jumps up, clicks his heels together, and runs off to start his first model.
    A Lot is two words.