Thread: mtlgen.dll

mtlgen.dll

I just upgraded my system and did a complete reinstall. When I tried to open my files in Max after the reinstall I get a missing DLL error message: mtlgen
    Any clues as how to fix this? I didn't have this problem on my old system running 2000 Pro.
    Many thanks.

Did you do a complete reinstall of Max or Windows?
    (Retired)

I did a complete rebuild. I installed a new chip, motherboard, new video card, new hard drives, power supply and new operating system plus the software. Pretty much the only thing I kept was the sound card. I then transferred the back up files on.
    I'm now running a 2.8 gig Athlon with Windows XP SP2, and an ATI 9800. I heard that XP SP2 could be problematic, but I'm thinking the problem has something to do with the Custom Attributes for my rig not loading properly.
    I might add that despite the error, the file still manages to open up on Max 5 which is what I created it on, but doesn't seem to like Max 6.

did you use any plugins in the creation of the scene in 5? As this would definitely cause probs in 6.

Thanks for the reply.
    I didn't use any plugins - not even CS, just straight Max and Bones. However, I wired parameters through Float Reactor controllers to drive chains of bones in my rig.
    On another site, I saw a general solution posting for this problem (though on GMax) which states that the paths in plugin.ini are different than the installed location of the program. The suggested solution is to delete the plugin.ini and let the max recreate a new one, or to fix the paths in plugin.ini yourself.
    Since I'm not sure how to fix it myself, I'm going to try deleting first and see how that goes.
    I'll also send out an email to Discreet, but the one time I had to write tech support they took a while to respond.