Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I got EXP at home and at university v.4.0. But we don't have behavior, so i can't really help you there. sorry.
    Behavior was rather expensive before today, but since it gets shipped with v.4.2, we might get it too.

Maybe Chinny can help you out?

cheers,
    daniel | schyzomaniac

P.S. And yes, i agree that's it's a huge upgrade for such a pointrelease. The applications gets better and better.
    The only path to SUCCESS is through FAILURE!
    ...other people's failure. Not yours.
    That wouldn't be a very good path.

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

Originally posted by Chinny

there is a new bullet list on XSIBase which details everything

http://www.xsibase.com/news.php?detail=1177

Chinny
    Ooh lovely, thanks for posting that
    Giggidy! Giggidy! Giggidy!

Originally posted by schyzomaniac
    Hi Chinny,
    is it possible that you're "THE" Chinny from Softimage?
    P.S.
    For all those who don't know what i'm talking about, go to:
    http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/video_gallery/
    and check out the guy in "What is 3-Democracy? "
    Hi everyone

Yes I am errr the Chinny (insert embarrased smiley here) well spotted. Good catch on the video although perhaps not my finest moment

I am the XSI product Manager at Softimage and like many of us here at Soft, I trawl the forums to better understand what is happening in the community.

Although I may not post here often I read 3DBuzz everyday and take on board both the good and bad issues. We are always listening and will continue to do so.

Keep it coming... that's why we are all here... which is ultimately to have fun and enjoy what we do as often as we can.

Cheers

Chinny

Originally posted by Chinny

Hi everyone

Yes I am errr the Chinny (insert embarrased smiley here) well spotted. Good catch on the video although perhaps not my finest moment

I am the XSI product Manager at Softimage and like many of us here at Soft, I trawl the forums to better understand what is happening in the community.

Although I may not post here often I read 3DBuzz everyday and take on board both the good and bad issues. We are always listening and will continue to do so.

Keep it coming... that's why we are all here... which is ultimately to have fun and enjoy what we do as often as we can.

Cheers

Chinny

GREAT! Hi Chinny... do you ming if I call you Chinny
    I was looking for you sir... yes I was... this is why:

I was enquiring to Conitec about possible compatibility between their affordable 3D game engine 3DGS and XSI export formats

http://www.conitecserver.com/ubbthre...=&fpart=1&vc=1

My question to Conitec was:
    "BONUS QUESTION!
    I'm a XSI 4 Foundation user. Do you have plans for direct support for Softimage XSI... dotXSI. Importing and exporting the dotXSI file format. The dotXSI File Transfer Toolkit (FTK), is freely available for download here."

From a Conitec guy this was part of the answer:
    “Once WED (3DGS map editor) and the map compiler support concave geometry imports from other formats should be easier or at least more robust.
    I would recommedn that you talk to the XSI developers as well and ask them for GameStudio MDL7 or Quake MAP export - both formats are documented.”

Part of my following argument was:
    “The thing is that many artists and many people in the game industry are buying XSi Foundation because finally we can afford a Pro 3D Pacakge, take it home and produce quality stuff... the price of XSi Foundation with 6 Training DVDs has converted many people even CRACK USERS!"
    (NOTE FOR CHINNY:I have worked in the game industry since 1994 and as a Game and Level designer I was happy to install my own XSI 4 Foundation on my home PC even if at work I was used to use Maya! End NOTE )

Back to my post on conitec
    "People who buy XSI would be pleased to know that there is another affordable tool, Conitec A6 Commercial/Pro, that would enable them to make good use of their 3D assets. Artists and Designers able to use XSi would love to use 3DGS to make their own games without having to depend on others...too busy programmers.

You have received lot of requests from Max and Maya users... these are the same people who can't afford 3DGS A6 Pro very probably so I guess 80% of them are using cracked copies of those 3D packages...

I will contact XSi developers to enquire about supporting 3DGS file formats, but it would make a lot of sense if a packge like 3DGS would be directly comaptible with affordable 3D packages like XSi Foundation... and not only Max or Maya that are out of reach for common mortals unless they use cracked copies..."

END POST on Conitec site

What do you say Chinny, does this make sense?
    Would it be posible to XSI4 to support "GameStudio MDL7 or Quake MAP export - (both formats are documented)” any time soon?

The deal is this...
    XSI 4 Foundation (with the trining DVDs) is at a price range that
    many indie wannbe developers could afford. If they/we can afford to buy a decent but affordable engine, like 3DGS or Torque, then we can afford XSI, maybe a few will have to save a little bit and then buy it. If you make XSI talk with low cost engines wouldn't you say that you would also sell more copies of XSI FOundation?
    As most of the poeple using an open source or cheap 3D engine would be happy to use XSI as opposed to use some unfriendly free and messy and hard to learn 3D half developed packge?

I think the 3Democracy thing would fit weel with getting XSI to talk with tools like Torque and 3DGS... Not just Virtools that is still too expensive for most people... Yes I can see something is also happening with Ogre and that's great!

What do you say?
    GameStudio MDL7 and s other indie friendly format coming soon?

Thanks for your time if you get time to reply

I agree that including some (major) file-exporter for gameengines would be very helpfull. With Foundation you allready have awsome modelling-, rigging- and animation-tools (and lots more). Now with 4.2 you also have the tools for easily producing normal maps. This all screams for using this package more extensively in gamedesign. But the lack of exporters might hold people back to include xsi in their pipeline.
    I really hope that softimage will make some exporters available or work more closely with other game-companies (besides valve ) so that they will eventually create some exporters.
    And what would make Foundation even more perfect for gamedesign would be the integration of the Polygon Reduction Tool.

cheers,
    daniel | schyzomaniac
    The only path to SUCCESS is through FAILURE!
    ...other people's failure. Not yours.
    That wouldn't be a very good path.

WAIT

to avoid confusion between a trhead about 4.2 and other softimage related stuff I stared a new thread about my questoin to Chinny... so please only reply to this 4.2 thread if you have 4.2 realted stuff to say...

My mistake.. I don't really want to get this thread in a mess...

See my other For Chinny eyes Mainly thread to read about my quesiton to Chinny... I'm waiting on that other thread to see if Chinny will find the time to reply

Cheers

mmm
    I was trying to upgrade to 4.2 but I can't find a customer ID from my About window...

I sent and email to softimage but being friday I doubt they will reply before monday...

Guys where did you get your customer ID from....
    I have my Reg-Key and License Number but no Customer ID

Really can't help you there i have advanced and the customer ID is in the about window.

Originally posted by HokutoTC
    mmm
    I was trying to upgrade to 4.2 but I can't find a customer ID from my About window...

I sent and email to softimage but being friday I doubt they will reply before monday...

Guys where did you get your customer ID from....
    I have my Reg-Key and License Number but no Customer ID

What version of XSI are you using?

I got foundations from the web store and i went to: http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/downloads/ and downloaded 4.2 with my email/password i used to register an account there with, if that's any help.

If you're not using foundations then this reply is useless, sorry hehe

[edit] Aha! You are a foundation (from post above) user. In which case you can just download it from the link i gave, you only need to login with your email / password on the softimage site to get it (it's a demo untill you enter your registration number) no other special info required.
    Last edited by tuna; 12-03-2004 at 09:15 PM.
    Giggidy! Giggidy! Giggidy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast