Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Little Bit Stuck.

This is my first model with XSI so not too much laughing, he's gonna be a fat bald ninja
    Anyway, Im having trouble figuring out how to do the head.
    He is really deformed [on purpose] to have a massive head, but I cant figure out how to extrude upwards now to make a cube for the head then to continue editing ?

Here's the first pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fatninja01.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	35121  
    -:Sanguis bibimus:-
    -:Corpus edimus:-
    -:Tolle corpus satani:-
    -:Ave versus cristus:-
    ---:Ave santani:---

And here's roughly the size I want on top [obviously it doesnt need to be a cube].

I just cant figure out how to extrude upwards some more.

Do I want to make a polygon on the top of his neck and extrude ? [but that will lead to problems with the cloned half wont it ?]

Name:	fatninja02.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	35122  

Originally posted by OmeN
    I just cant figure out how to extrude upwards some more.
    I'm not sure what your problem is and do you mean with "extrude upwards". you can either scale it in y-axis to make it thiner and taller or just extrude the top polygons in Y.

Originally posted by OmeN
    Do I want to make a polygon on the top of his neck and extrude ? [but that will lead to problems with the cloned half wont it ?]
    If you extrude one half of his neck, make sure that the inner polygon (which will be created) is deledted after the extrusion. then you wont have any problems with mirroring the mesh to the other side and merge it later on.

hope i could answer your question,
    daniel | schyzomaniac
    The only path to SUCCESS is through FAILURE!
    ...other people's failure. Not yours.
    That wouldn't be a very good path.

yeah i guess you have sort of answered it, but what i thought would be easier is just to merge the cube with the body and continue modeling - BUT it doesnt make it one object, it keeps the other 2 original ones and makes a 3rd new one... weird [im a max user ya see].

Not really a problem but i found it doing strange things, like i could select points and move them but the new geometry stayed the same.

BIZARO !

aaaah! now i understand your problem!

okay. two solutions (there are probably more):
    1. as i wrote before, select the top poly of the neck and extrude it upwards and build half of your head. delete the inner parts of the extrusions, so you wont have any problems when mirroring it.

2. this is probably what you're looking for. select your cube and your body and then on the Model toolbar "Model -> Create -> Poly. Mesh -> Merge"
    if you got xsi v4, you can either hit the Hide/Unhide or the Delete (Freeze Op) button in the upcoming dialog box. if you don't have v4, then select the new merged object (in the explorer). go to the left side of the UI under Edit and click Freeze. Now you can safely delete the original box and body without deleting the merged object.

If you also need to Add Polygons between those two objects, make sure that there are no polygons on the side of each object which is directing to the other object. This means, delete the top-poly of the neck and some bottom-polys of the cube. now you can add new poly manualy between them.

cheers,
    daniel | schyzomaniac
    The only path to SUCCESS is through FAILURE!
    ...other people's failure. Not yours.
    That wouldn't be a very good path.

Cheers matey.

May i recommand to start your hear alone, by the eye. I've been showed that way to build a head and i think it makes sens. You do the eye as flat poly, curve it a little, than extract polygones from it. Once the around of the eye is done, erase the middle flat polygones and replace it by a sphere. You get a eye ball. I am sure you will get better result than by starting with a cube.
    Since I gave up hope, i feel much better.

Hi there, did you watch a tutor or found\bought a good tutorial ?

I'd like to see the beggining stages of this.

First thing of all, you need an image. Use the rotoscopy in the view options, and load your face image. Use the image pixel ratio, and lock the magnifier icon of your front view. If you can have a side view of your face in the right view also, it would help you a lot. But remember that digital and normal camera have lens that deform your model a bit. Front and right side of a face won't match perfectly. It is normal. You have to juge what feels right and cheat a bit. But for the front view, once locked, you can use shift-z to draw a zooming area and see your eye full view.

Name:	eye.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	35854  

Then, you use the N commande to start drawing a flat version of the eye. You may need to invert polygone ( 1 - Modify - Poly. Mesh - Invert Polygone ) to make their nomals pointing toward you.

Name:	eyestart.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	35855  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast