Microsoft replaces counterfeit versions of Windows XP with legal ones.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4042983.stm

Is doesn't matter if you like or don't like Microsoft,
    but if this works it may be taken up by other Software Developers/Publishers...

All bits and bops that help soffocate piracy may be good

It's a win win situation for them. They are "doing their customers a favour" (hoping to ensure customer loyalty) and getting the ability to sue piraters that have been distributing WinXP. It's all about the $$$$$

yes, of course...
    but I prefer Microsoft to make money and not pirates

Just a note to any new PC buyers since this does sadly happen... But ALWAYS ASK FOR YOUR INSTALLATION CD's when you buy a new computer... If they balk, or don't give professionally pressed cd's, then it's probably a scam. Even with the legit companies there are some companies that only give the cd's if you ask for them, and there's nothing worse than having a crash and no way to recover.

As always... buyer beware.
    confused by earlier errors
    bailing out

very true...

you could have CDs with a vendor name on it..
    like Dell Windows XP re-installation CD... and you need also your booklet copy and a validation stiker somewhere on your case

Yes, make sure on a new computer that that validation sticker is on the case. I had purchased an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro with a computer I had built at the office here, and it came with one of those stickers, and according to Microsoft, legally, that OEM sticker must be put somewhere on the case. If you are buying a new computer with Windows on it, it must have an OEM sticker (shiny with the serial number on it) stuck somewhere on the case. If there isn't one, make sure you get a copy of the original CDs, as either they installed a pirated version, or a non OEM version. If you get a Dell or Compaq rescue CD, make sure that the computer it accomanies has that OEM sticker on it somewhere. I know all computers with OEM Windows should have it on. When I worked at RadioShack, this was the case as well. All the computers, Compaq, HP, eMachines, they all had that sticker on it somewhere.

Note, if you pirated Windows XP or have never seen an official Windows XP CD, they are virtually impossible to duplicate by conventional do-it-yourself means as they have a holographic surface. So you will be able to tell if the CD you are getting from the top surface alone is an authentic Microsoft Windows CD.

Somewhere in the State of Misery A.K.A. Missouri
    hmm.. sounds like ms is looking for how the pirated software is running so that they can start hunting down the pirates with that info.
    My art blog: http://www.jeffthomannsart.blogspot.com

My Entropia Universe Item Selling Blog: http://www.mariasgoods.blogspot.com

Originally posted by vetts
    Just a note to any new PC buyers since this does sadly happen... But ALWAYS ASK FOR YOUR INSTALLATION CD's when you buy a new computer... If they balk, or don't give professionally pressed cd's, then it's probably a scam. Even with the legit companies there are some companies that only give the cd's if you ask for them, and there's nothing worse than having a crash and no way to recover.

As always... buyer beware.
    Unfortunately a lot of companies like HP do not give the cds anymore. They instead use a partition on the hard drive and store a backup of windows on that. Imagine my surprise when I got a new hp system a couple years ago and formatted it and then noticed that I had no cds.

See... when I buy a computer i turn it on and make sure it works. Then I immediately delete all the partitions and format it and reinstall a clean windows.

But a lot of small no name computer vendors (people that are buying parts off newegg.com and building systems that way) are installing the old WIndows XP corporate edition which requires no activation and not providing cds. That is a problem for the end user who knows no better.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Originally posted by mastermesh
    hmm.. sounds like ms is looking for how the pirated software is running so that they can start hunting down the pirates with that info.
    I agree with mastermesh, sounds like information gathering to me too.