Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    The reason most reels coming out of Fullsail suck is because most people suck at CG. That's a fact. We get lots of demo reels coming from all kinds of schools, and just about all of them suck. Don't blame fullsail for people's lack of creativity. You should blame the entire educational system for not including more art classes earlier in a persons academic life.

I really don't have a problem with people criticizing Fullsail, there are things I didn't care for when I went there (The 'tour' presentation felt really forced to me). What I do have a problem with is people jumping to conclusions when they really don't know anything about the school, sans what a few people have told them. I'm not saying you have to go to the school to be able to ridicule it, but you should do a little more research. I wonder if those who mention the black list at studios really work there, or if they "heard" it from someone. I've never heard of a studio blacklisting someone talented because they went to a certain school. I find that quite unbelievable.

When we look at reels, we watch the reel first, then see if it's worth looking at the resume. Usually it's not.

Some of the other schools mentioned in the article apply a flitering process for their students. They must meet a requirement before they can attend, this weeds out most of the people who suck. Fullsail would be better off if they applied a similar process, but they would have to raise their tuition to reflect the other schools. A lot of those schools are very expensive.

Anyway, I just wish people wouldn't be so quick ot say the school sucks because they heard it from someone who heard it from someone else that they eat babies.

Last edited by Rumors; 12-02-2004 at 07:49 AM.

yet amazingly enough fullsail charges more than many art schools. I think SCAD charges about 20g's a year.

Yeah most people suck at CG and if fullsail were any form of respectable institution they'd probably tell the people who can't cut it to get out while they are ahead (like many colleges and universities do). They don't do that though because they'd much rather just pump em through the system and get the money for it.

The problem is that the school basically processes people through it like a meat packing plant wether they are any good or not.

That Old Russell
    AKA
    TOR

Post In the calmest voice.....

I'm currently looking forward to attending fullsail for the game development course. The cost raised to $58.000 but! some people seem to forget there are thing called grants and financial aid. This GREATLY helps covers the cost of your education. Now in my case, I don't see why anyone would dislike fullsail. There are few schools if any that reaches up to their standard. I mean this in a gamedev viewpoint. As far as I know FullSail is THE BEST school to learn game development in the United States( if you don't believe me check out the best game development sites gamedev.net , gamasutra.com etc.)

In an arguement about fs portfolios look all flashy and suck, I never heard of a bad portfolio being the schools fault. A portofio is based on the students imagination, NOT their training. There are things like schedules and time limits(usually 3 months). I know this for a fact because I experienced design college and have seen very acceptable portfolios coming from graduates from that school.

I understand that fullsail will be some people First experience in college, so ofcourse there will be many bad reviews. I've been researching fullsail for about a year and a half and it looks very promising to me.My friend went on a tour and talked to some graduates and they all gave him the pros and cons. As for teaching methods, yeah there's gonna be some complaints. There's no perfect way to teach something to everyone because everyone is different. The college I just came from sucked for me but some other student fully supported their ways.

My arguement is that different people have different views and dreams.It's part of life. So the subject "fullsail taking away ppls dreams is very misleading. In my case I don't care about company blacklisting and all this garbage. I enjoy gamedev and just want a better college education on game programming & development. Yeah it's alot of money but if you don't take chances you'll never fulfill you dreams. Remember... THERE IS NO PERFECT SCHOOL. If there is please tell me.

In a humble voice....

Originally posted by 1000101

Yeah most people suck at CG and if fullsail were any form of respectable institution they'd probably tell the people who can't cut it to get out while they are ahead (like many colleges and universities do). They don't do that though because they'd much rather just pump em through the system and get the money for it.

Thats totally false dude. You have to maintain a certain grade to even stay in the school. So if you suck I think you would know. Remember there are test, finals etc? . And no university or college would tell you to "get out while they are ahead" because they are "Companies".They have to pay the teachers get equipment etc. They need as much money as they can get. If they really cared about students they would be giving non profit education like what Buzz does.

Re: In a humble voice....

Actually I know that sometimes teachers tell students that it would be a good idea to drop a class. If they they are not doing well then it would be better to just drop the class. My dad (who teaches computer science at a college) has told his students to do this in the past. This isn't quite telling them to leave the school, but still...

Re: Re: In a humble voice....

Originally posted by colincsl
    Actually I know that sometimes teachers tell students that it would be a good idea to drop a class. If they they are not doing well then it would be better to just drop the class. My dad (who teaches computer science at a college) has told his students to do this in the past. This isn't quite telling them to leave the school, but still...
    You're dad is a cool teacher for that....
    there's not many of them out here though ("well as far as I know")

58k You could become a Dr. for less. You could buy a house in Orlando for less. They must need another fancy bus. If you ask me that is a giant risk especially for jobs that don't require a degreew.
    Last edited by LA_John; 12-02-2004 at 08:53 PM.

I agree 110% IllKingdom. You'll love this place and learn a LOT. Don't let these haters discourage you on weither or not this school is worth it or not (they DON'T attend here, they DON'T know what this school is all about ).

When is your start date?

Originally posted by D3aTh_M0nK3y
    I agree 110% IllKingdom. You'll love this place and learn a LOT. Don't let these haters discourage you on weither or not this school is worth it or not (they DON'T attend here, they DON'T know what this school is all about ).

When is your start date?
    well this guy did http://sv3.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...ight=full+sail

Don't let these haters discourage you on weither or not this school is worth it or not (they DON'T attend here, they DON'T know what this school is all about ).
    First of all, I do not "hate" Full Sail; I just find many things about the school to be troubling.

Just because I don't personally attend Full Sail doesn't mean that haven't checked it out or don't know anything about it; in addition, the people I have contacted and talked to about FS are reliable and know what they are talking about (they've been in the Industry for a long time and have dealt with students/individuals from FS for many years).

One thing I find very troubling about FS is their total lack of Traditional Arts courses. The majority of schools that offer degrees/programs in animation require you to take traditional art class such as life drawing, illustration, and sculpting. The reason why is because these classes teaches you the principles behind animation, behind the "Illustions of Life" if you will. I don't care what anyone says: without the principles, skills, and understanding behind what you are learning to do/become, you will FAIL!!!

Another issue that has been talked about is the cost. College is expensive, there is no question behind that; however, some places cost more and offer a lot less. I believe Full Sail is one such school (this is my own opinion here, so don't shoot me).
    One thing I encourage anyone thinking about going into a carreer such as animation or game design is this: Find out what the courses you need to take for that degree. Find as many classes as you can that are offered at you local community college (or similar classes that will transfer in place of the program classes) and take those classes there. You will save hundreds, if not even thousands, of dollars by doing this instead of taking all of your classes at the school where the degree is offered (which is just plain stupid...... unless you're a rich kid.....)
    Last edited by ArtisticVisions; 12-02-2004 at 09:47 PM.
    My eyes are open, yet I continue to dream....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast