Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

doul monitoring setup with 2 cards

Hi

I have my NVIDIA graphic card already installed. it is possible to install another simple graphic card in order to use dual monitor setup with max and coumbustion? what are the advantage and disadvantages of this method?

My config :

P4 2.6
    512 DDR
    nvidia gefore + tvout
    Win Xp Pro
    Max 6
    Combustion 3

thanks
    S

You can install a pci card to run your 2nd monitor off of. You'd then probably have to use a MS based multimonitor display driver (since your original card probably doesn't have dual monitor support and therefore didn't come with additional drivers)

There are drawbacks to using a pci slot and a windows driver. (performance).

**I know little to nothing about hardware components and windows itself. So, I cannot give any detailed reasons as to what is good or bad and for what reasons. (there's plenty of genetically altered hardware humans that will give more technically detailed answers here soon enough, I'm sure)

First I'd suggest that you give the agp+pci dual cards a try. I'm sure you have a pci card laying around somewhere, or one you can borrow from someone. Give this a test and see how you like it.

Secondly, I would suggest that you wait and invest in a dual headed card, rather than running a agp+pci combo system. There are some inexpensive dual headed cards available (probably under $200 ?). By testing the first suggestion w/o having spent any money at all, you will already have saved yourself at least $50, so consider that before you throw the $50 at a pci card.

Advantages to running two apps at the same time on different monitors ? It is about the equivalent of having taught your 10 year old son how to use the lawn mower. (it doesn't get any better.)

Distavantages ? You'll find that once you start using Max on dual monitors that it's pretty hard to give up that 2nd monitor to another app for any reason. (so you'll soon be shopping for a triple-display !) You will also find that your system will eventually not be able to handle both apps running at the same time without becoming sluggish and un-responsive. (this is dependant on not only your system specs but the app contents being handled by the apps. Multi-tasking can only be stretched so far.)

Actually, there is basically NO performance drawback in using two cards. The performance drawback comes when using 1 card, since 1 card = 1 processor which means that one graphics processor is running 2 monitors, whereas if you use 2 cards you have a separate card for each monitor, hence, a separate processor. Most of the new cards can handle two so it's not really an issue since most processor intensive work is done on one monitor still, but I thought I'd clear that up. Saying that; you will likely see less quality out of the pci card, because you'll probably be using a lower quality card as the back-up card. Since the second monitor probably won't need to be using a hardcore 3d card( since you will be using the main monitor for that), just make sure that it has quality 2d. Matrox cards have great 2d and they also are set up to be easy to use as secondary cards. You may need to do a little tweaking to get a second card to work, but It's nice when you have 2 cards running simultaneously.
    confused by earlier errors
    bailing out

Originally posted by cutcopypaste
    There are some inexpensive dual headed cards available (probably under $200 ?).
    I just want to note that you can get these for less than $100.

The card I have (Geforce 4 TI 4200[I have dual screens with it]) is currently $62 on pricewatch.

Distavantages ? You'll find that once you start using Max on dual monitors that it's pretty hard to give up that 2nd monitor to another app for any reason. (so you'll soon be shopping for a triple-display !) You will also find that your system will eventually not be able to handle both apps running at the same time without becoming sluggish and un-responsive. (this is dependant on not only your system specs but the app contents being handled by the apps. Multi-tasking can only be stretched so far.)
    Yeah I remember I tried runnig two at once and it slowed things down a whole lot, of course my computer was slower then, but you still probably wouldnt want to run two at once, espcially if your doing something like rendering.

Hi

this is the card i found fit to my budget. any comments please?

RADEON™ 9200 ATLANTIS

Thanks
    S

It's a fine card. Are you getting the 64 or 128?
    I just bought another model from Sapphire, and the performance jump from my battle-tested-but-worn little Elsa was pretty dramatic.

i think all you have to do is make sure both cards use the same drivers and install the latest revision that way it detects both cards and then will enable the dual monitor functions
    Aint that some ...

i have a dual head Geforce FX5900 for sale, i just got a new Geforce 6800 Ultra 256mb card, damn its good.

but im in NZ so dont look like a good idea anyway.
    My PC Case WIP

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz/OC@3.6Ghz RAM: 4x512Mb Dual Channel TwinMOS DDR400 PC3200 MOB: ASUS PC4800-E Deluxe GFX: Leadtek GeForce FX 5900 128Mb
    ROM: 8x48x48x24 Combo DVD/CD-R Drive HDD: 1x Seagate 40gb, 6x Seagate 120gb MON: 21" IBM Flat Triniton Tube CASE: Lian-Li PC-71 Black Full Server Case

ouch, that card must of cost a boom!! I know the NZ dollar is just (beep)! Reason I left was I couldn´t earn the cash to support my tech habit!.

p.s. you should change yur sig to go along with your new card

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast