Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post 3d Engine/Editor Development

I've asked this question on the biggest game programming site but just got flamed.

"What is the good approach for learning" to make a game editor?I know that first you have to develop the actual engine.What path("Books, Tutorials etc.") would one take to get there.I've seen many "SOLO" 3d editors where you can place primitives, lights, entities, etc. that are simple and beautiful to work with and i'm particularly interested in learning this. I was inspired by the tenchu 2 editor, how simple it was to create a fun environment.

I already know a fair amount of C++
    I currently studying books on gameprogramming( Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus 1&2) and blah blah blah....

Thanks to anyone who responds in advanced.

gurus 2 has a basic editor

-and the new book by
    3D GameEngine Programming
    steve zoerbst or something like that walks you through making a 3dengine and a cool loevel editor

what website did u post at??

Oh yes!

Gurus 2 does have the basic "doom like" editor! I totally forgot about that.I'm looking into learning a simple 4 viewport editor like the tsunami engine or 3d game studio typa thing. I'll look into that 3D GameEngine Programming book. Oh. That site was gamedev.net. They thought I was asking "How to make a game engine" and made stupid quotes and gave me a link to the "start here" page. . Thanks Alot for you input Ostamo2.

they always do that start here thing
    and i mean always

gets kind of annoying

The book you're referring to is:

3D Game Engine Programming (Game Development Series)
    by Stefan Zerbst. Published by : Muska & Lipman/Premier-Trade, 2004.
    Available at all good book stores (and some rubbish ones too).

I haven't read it, but the write-up looks good. I may order it soon,

Cheers

Hmm...

Some ppl gave that book bad reviews on amazon.com but hey i'm gonna get it and see for myself.Just another book to add to my collection.There's another GREAT book I was itching to buy. "3D Game Engine Design : A Practical Approach to Real-Time Computer Graphics" by David H. Eberly. The reviews are pretty good but it's very math intensive! which is great but my math need improvement. I'll take a few advanced math classes then buy it! .

the bad reviews was because of a bad cd ..but he has all that fixed now

even if it sounds boring: you can't do any computer graphics without the math behind it all!

unfortunately books on math are usually very expensive and hard to understand.
    i'd still highly recommend you get into math as early as possible! you can find countless tutorials about vector/matrix arithmetic on the web and several articles about the basics of 3d graphics. when you feel skilfull enough you should try out an advanced lecture (i'd recommend the infamous 'graphic gems'-series, published by academic press). check the next library for books on math, it may save you a lot of money.

the worst thing about math literature is that most of it is written for college students, so the notation alone is awfully painful and you'll have to literally fight through it. but you should always keep in mind that good graphics depends on good math, so it should be worth the trouble

Well, I would probably urge you to start simpler. If you know C++ thats great, but have you done any simple graphics programming? You know like rendering a triangle, changing the color and make it move.... You need to do that before you start designing your engine. What about sound stuff or input? Its all really simple stuff, but what you learn in doing these tiny projects you will carry over to your engine.

What I'm trying to say here is if you haven't done things like this maybe you should learn them first. They are a lot easier and more fun then reading dry dusty books. When you are done, you will probably understand the books much better. Like when Professor Snobzigob is explaining the pros and cons of A* path finding or how to build a better state machine with macros, you could say, "oh! good idea!", not "uh, what's clipping mean?".

That's just my opinion though. Good luck.

--L2S

Wink oh...

Yes I do know the importance of math for 3d game programming. 3d technology is almost totally based on math. I'm going to get the 3d math for game development book, I already invested in a math book. I mean when it comes to math i'm not a total nut! it's just I never really liked it until i saw how cool it was and what it can actually be used in real life for.

Too Lefty:
    Oh yes I've done quite alot of poking around with both openGL and DirectX. I know the concepts behind the making of most elements of game dev. I reached as far as Texturing and Fog .

I wasn't really talking about making an engine but more of a spliter window editor where I can see my content in four different windows, add/delete stuff, put lights etc. Well I have the C++ bundle which they show how to make a simple editor so that'll help me too!

Thanks Ya'll...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast