Thread: floor sound

floor sound

heyah, I have a few shack's in my map. I'm wondering how to attach the floor creaking sound's I found in the "sounds" folder, to the floor so when I walk on it people can hear foot step's. Anyone got's any idea's?

thx,
    Sternzy

The best way I can think of to do it is to use a ScriptedTrigger with a following script:

[0] Action_WaitForEvent - Wait for someone to enter the other triggers proxemity.

[1] Action_PlaySound - Plays your sound after someone enters the proxemity.

[2] Action_GoToAction - Go back to action [0] to start the chain over agian.

In order to do this, you will also need a normal trigger to use as the proxemity trigger. AKA: The area that the player must enter to trigger the sound. Then set that triggers "Event" tag to be the same as the "ExternalEvent" tag that can be found under the first Scripted Action in the Scripted Trigger.

I hope I explained that well enough, if I didn't or you still have problems you can find me in the IRC channel located in my sig.

I think Hourences did the exact same thing in DM-Rankin, you might want to check that level for refrence.

Goodluck!
    "Dreaming of a simple life I'll never see."

I looked through the map, and I can see exactlly what you were talking about, I don't think thats what I'm looking for here exactly, though that will surely come in handy for future maps=)

however...there is a perfect example on that map, it's where theres wood on the floor and everytime the player step's you here the foot-on-wood sound effect. Here's a screenshot of the spot I'm talking about...seem's like it should be pretty easy, but man I can't find information on this anywhere =(.

http://www.creepingdeath.us/images/temp/wood.JPG

Now there's a perfect example...only I don't see any kind of actor or propertie running the sound effect. =(

Some of the materials have set their type to wood (or metal, or whatever the material is). If you use that texture (or make your own and set the MaterialType to Wood), it should play wooden footsteps, i believe...
    ------------------------------------------
    Can somebody lend me a hitch off this planet?

I try messing with that propertie this morning, I set >Material>surfacetype>EST_Wood. then I compile and save, before going in game and trying it out. In game it still sounds like the default sound. So I go back to unrealED and look at the propertie for the texture again and it's set back to the EST_default =(

did hourences make that, map?
    anyhow ask hourences yourlsef

everything has been said
    rankin uses both the scriptedtrigger as a material sound, in case of this specific wood area shown in the picture its just that material surface type thats set to wood

only thing i would add is that unless your texture is mylevel you will need to save the package after you changed the surface type, saving the map will not help if its not mylevel. you must actually push Save in the texture browser as well
    Hourences.com
    Portfolio - Books - Jobs - Textures - News

Originally posted by Hourences-2

only thing i would add is that unless your texture is mylevel you will need to save the package after you changed the surface type, saving the map will not help if its not mylevel. you must actually push Save in the texture browser as well
    Roger. This is why it wasn't working, Thx for the input everyone =)